DIY Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Smitty Sled Build, How to Build
Machine57
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 07:08 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 173

This all started last year after pulling my Nanook through a little over a foot and a half of wet snow.
I damn near thought I was going to have a heart attack by the time I made it back to shore. I thought there must be a better way and through research found a device called a Smitty Sled.
There where several different variations of them out there, but I wanted to make it as affordable to construct, so that everyone could make one.
With ice season just around the corner, now is the time for the handy fisherman to make one of these.
I have attached the construction pics in sequence, so it gives you an idea how to make one. With years of experience working with wood, I went with a wood platform, but the possibilities are endless out there.
The biggest problem to the whole project was finding discarded or unwanted skis.
Check with friends and nieghbors as they may very well have an old unused set sitting up in the loft of the garage.
You can also check out the thrift stores also.
If Jerry would like to place this in a do it yourself section of the forum, then it could help someone out at a future date.
So lets get started!!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Machine57
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 07:14 am

Parr Trout

The first thing to do is cut 4 side pieces of the unit, and make a dado joint in the four side pieces in which the cross members will fit into.
It is esential that these dado's are exact as you do not want any racking movement when the crossmembers are placed in.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Machine57
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 07:21 am

Parr Trout

Now, after that is done, determine the length of your crossmembers.
With my Clam, I measured between the runners and this determined my final width of the sled itself.
Cut your crossmembers to length and countersink your holes so the bolts sit just below the surface of the 2x4 crossmember.
When drilling the holes in the four side pieces which will be accepting the bolts from the crossmembers, remember not to drill them too large!!
Alot of this is friction fit.
The bolts are there to frictionally hold everything together.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Machine57
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 07:41 am

Parr Trout

Now that we know that everything fits together, it is now time to mount it to the skis.
In this case I figured as close to center as possible then countersunk holes from the bottom of the skis into the four side pieces.
Once the side pieces are mounted to the skis, your esentially done.
You can then trick out your sled however you like.
The most expensive part of the whole project as with any project is the hardware.
Now the last thing to be noted in this build is that after construction and use with the Nanook, is that my one man Scout was not as long as the Nanook.
The Scout was the same width as the Nanook, but length wise it was not being supported totally by the crossmembers.
This was easily remedied by screwing a 1/2" sheet of ply to the crossmembers, thus trapping the bolts inside the countersunk 2x4 crossmembers.
Assembly / Disassembly is an absolute breeze. I always have a hammer in the truck. So when I arrive to the location I essentially have three pieces. A ski for each side and my top. Line up the bolts with the side pieces and tap down the top.
Do the opposite to disassemble.
Keep your eye out for bungee cords, they work excellent for securing your hut to the sled.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Machine57
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 07:48 am

Parr Trout

Now that we know that everything fits together, it is now time to mount it to the skis.
In this case I figured as close to center as possible then countersunk holes from the bottom of the skis into the four side pieces.
Once the side pieces are mounted to the skis, your esentially done.
You can then trick out your sled however you like.
The most expensive part of the whole project as with any project is the hardware.
Now the last thing to be noted in this build is that after construction and use with the Nanook, is that my one man Scout was not as long as the Nanook.
The Scout was the same width as the Nanook, but length wise it was not being supported totally by the crossmembers.
This was easily remedied by screwing a 1/2" sheet of ply to the crossmembers, thus trapping the bolts inside the countersunk 2x4 crossmembers.
Assembly / Disassembly is an absolute breeze. I always have a hammer in the truck. So when I arrive to the location I essentially have three pieces. A ski for each side and my top. Line up the bolts with the side pieces and tap down the top.
Do the opposite to disassemble.
Keep your eye out for bungee cords, they work excellent for securing your hut to the sled.

PMEmail Poster
Machine57
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 07:57 am

Parr Trout

Conclusion:

I should have mentioned that the four side units where made with nominal 2x6 and of course we all know the crossmembers are made with 2x4.

The sled pictured went everywhere last year with me. From up and down Billy Goat Hill at Bear Point to Shanty Bay to you name it.
It worked flawlessly!!
It was defenately easier to pull, and you really noticed it on bare ice.
If you stopped, it would litterally run into the back of your legs as it was still going.

If there are any further questions or further help is required, please feel free to PM me or send me an email to dbmadill@rogers.com.

Best Regards,

Dan

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 08:36 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

I like how all Dan's think a like

Awesome idea. I have a question. How do you transport it to the lake? On separate trailer ? and the sled or quad in the pick up ?

Dan

PMEmail Poster
Machine57
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 08:56 am

Parr Trout

Hey Dan...I transport the bike and the clam in the trailer.
Last year because of the ice, I was strictly on foot.
So there was plenty of room in the truck for the Clam and the smitty sled.
The smitty sled breaks down quite easily.
If I am on the bike, I do not use the Smitty Sled. I have custom made pull bars for the Clams to pull behind the bike.
Dan

PMEmail Poster
lundman
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 09:08 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1695

Nice job. Its great to see what ideas and thoughts our members have.
Cheers Chris

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 09:13 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

Sweet ! Make sense .

Great idea

I just run the quad with the Ht portable hut strapped to the back rack and auger in the front. Works for now ! I guess your just limited with packing up other stuff on the quad. I like your idea . Must be a smooth ride for the hut.....

One last ? loll

Do you need a tow-bar to pull it ? or you just use a rope ? I thought you cant use ropes any more to tow ?

PMEmail Poster
rainbow
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 12:35 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 214

I built one last year and I love it. I put a tow bar on mine so that I could legally pull it behind the sled. Goes together in two minutes. Line up my rails with the pins, tap down the rails, load on the hut and auger and off I go. No worries about frozen bolts and nuts....everything is with pins and clips.
Even with the tow bar, less than $50.00 and about 3 hours of work time. I love it.

PMEmail Poster
Machine57
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 05:11 pm

Parr Trout

Hey Rainbow, do you have any pics of your setup??...Dan

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Dec 14, 2012 - 09:21 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Great idea......I see a new business blossoming.

Thanks for the post and decrisptions.awesome........guess i will keep the old skis out in the garage

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
the blue fox
Posted: Dec 15, 2012 - 12:37 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1452

PMEmail Poster
rainbow
Posted: Dec 15, 2012 - 09:26 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 214

Not right now Dan but I will post some when I have time. I got 20+ people coming for dinner tonight and if I stop now to take pictures of my Smitty, the wife will probably break a wrist or two.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3