Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> DIY Quick Strike Rigs
mmorris
Posted: Nov 27, 2018 - 04:30 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9643

Wondering if anyone has tips on making your own quickstrike rigs for pike. I've made a few of them over the years and I'm still indifferent to what works best. Hanging bait nose-down or horizontally, hook sizing and spacing, etc. Also whether you have two separate lines attached at a swivel or both trebles hooked in series on one line. Thanks in advance for the input. Didn't put a single pike on the ice last year and I want to start targeting them through the ice a little more this year.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 - 02:36 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6034

I like two smaller trebles in series. I make mine with tieable wire and space the hooks according to the size of bait. If I don`t have one that`s just right, I`ll make one up. Two lines from the swivel works but one of the hooks always seems to want to hook the bottom of the hole.

Nose down for me. One hook in the tail and one about midway down the side of the bait. Horizontal works but the hook near the nose of the bait seems to have a habit of finding a bad spot in a big pikes mouth. For me, it takes all the shine off of catching a big pike if they`re hooked poorly. I may try some single hook rigs this year for a horizontal presentation.

PMEmail Poster
KennyT759
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 - 09:19 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15436

Not a quick strike reply, but just something that has worked for me. I love pike and fish for them over anything else. I have found a good sized Swedish Pimple (2.5 inches, silver with yellow or orange) with a dead minnow hooked horizontally works best for me on both Erie and Nipissing through the ice. I cannot recall missing a single strike the last few trips and do not get them hooked as deeply as a strike rig or with a trailer. I don't keep much, if anything, so that is a priority for me. Mind you, my fish usually top out at 5 or 6 lbs so if you are targeting monsters with 6 inch minnows the quick strike rig might be better. Just sharing what has worked in case your rig is not and you want to give it a try one day.

PMEmail Poster
ClamFishing123
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 - 09:26 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12519

I'll fish with a minnow on one of these and set both hooks through the back of the minnow so it floats level just off bottom. They're actually relatively easy to make and I'll put one on a MH Rod with a 25-30 lb line and set it up in an iFish Pro.

As for spacing, I usually make them so there is no more than 6 inches total in line (3 on each side for each hook)

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Nov 29, 2018 - 11:02 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (ClamFishing123 @ Nov 29, 2018 - 11:26 am)
I'll fish with a minnow on one of these and set both hooks through the back of the minnow so it floats level just off bottom. They're actually relatively easy to make and I'll put one on a MH Rod with a 25-30 lb line and set it up in an iFish Pro.

As for spacing, I usually make them so there is no more than 6 inches total in line (3 on each side for each hook)

Nice, good idea. I imagine you could make up something like this using a couple of stinger hooks as well.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3