» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lake Scugog Walleye, PROPOSED REGULATION CHANGES
LNZboy
Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 07:15 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7971

Can somebody tell me how the crappie are effecting the population? I thought the crappie were a blessing and people loved them. As for the walleye I think it has a lot to do with habitat loss. Have you ever seen a lake size comparison from twenty years ago till now? Its amazing how much the lake keeps filling in. I wonder if the gog will be nothing but a wetland for mudcats and water foul in a hundred years... it makes you think

PMEmail Poster
greenhead22
Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 07:56 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8182

Crappie and panfish in general eat the eggs and fry of the walleye just after they leave their nests. This is supported by the fact there are no young fish being caught. The CO said that in the nets they put put in lake Scugog in the fall they caught few to none walleye under 5 years old. Overfishing and habitat loss is definitely a factor for sure but it doesn't explain why there are no young fish - the introduction of crappie does.

PMEmail Poster
Andy14
Posted: Apr 25, 2015 - 09:15 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7784

When a fish season is closed it is catch and release.
Change the Crappie limits to unlimited and close Walleye for a few years and re-assess.
Certain lakes should have officers patrolling 7 days a week.
Also fines should be adjusted on certain lakes for example, if a certain species on a certain lake is at risk of extinction and a fisherman (or woman) has harvested one of them then quadruple the penalties.
The only ones opposing this idea would be poachers.

PMEmail Poster
asianredneck
Posted: Apr 25, 2015 - 01:29 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 6156

should only open walleye from july -august the slowest 2 months for walleye due to water temps and reduce limits to 1/2 of what they are

PMEmail Poster
greenhead22
Posted: Apr 25, 2015 - 06:50 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 8182

The guy at the causeway bait shop said that some fishing clubs have offered to pay for Scugog to be restocked but the government won't let them. Is this true?

PMEmail Poster
remi
Posted: Apr 25, 2015 - 08:10 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7641

C &R sounds like the right way to go, Nippising is in the same boat. No small walleye. Now slot is 2 over 18" , we will see soon if it works. I don't think the mnr will allow anyone but them to stock walleye.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fishing Rod
Posted: May 11, 2015 - 11:52 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

QUOTE (Andy14 @ Apr 25, 2015 - 09:15 am)
When a fish season is closed it is catch and release.

When a season is closed I don't think you are aloud to target them even if you are doing catch and release.

I'm saying keep the current season and have a limit of zero fish.

PMEmail Poster
whitewatersalvo
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 - 07:39 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9592

I plan on doing my part in taking out as many crappie and bluegills as I can. From what I have heard they have never been as big of a problem as they are becoming these past couple years. Also closed season in fishing means no targeting them. Accidental OOS catches do happen, but no species specific gear while the season is closed.

I think a public awareness campaign could do a good thing for the walleye in Scugog.

1. Get people stoked on Panfish fishing. Derbies, Fish Frys, etc.
2. Close all harvest on Scugog for Walleye
3. Shorten the season to June-September. (C&R only)
4. Limited stocking program - 3000 fingerlings on 3 year intervals over 9 years. There is lots of success stories with proper conservation mixed with a long term slow trickle stocking program.

5. In a decade you will have Scugog at its carrying capacity for walleye and the other species in the lake.

Restoring a lake's biomass and biodiversity is a lot like rebuilding a hockey team. You can't expect it to be quick, and you have to have a few years of really slow goin.

PMEmail Poster
all nation
Posted: Nov 14, 2015 - 01:54 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6503

I talk to a lot of fishers and the thing I hear most is , why the Province do not stock lakes
If you ask people most would be willing to pay even $100.00 dollar for a licence to keep more fish like Walleye, Think about it right now a sport licence is $29.46 +hst
We could and I believe most would pay $60 if the extra $30 would go for yearly re-stocking
Closing and reducing limits hurt the economy big time , just ask businesses in the North Bay area

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Nov 14, 2015 - 04:13 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9546

Bingo!! You hit the nail on the head.

There are way too many of Crappie/Bluegill eating walleye fry, IMO.
Who is responsible? I doubt they are local.

PMEmail Poster
ROK07
Posted: Dec 04, 2015 - 12:54 pm

Egg

Member No.: 8688

Province imposes ban on Lake Scugog walleye fishing
Year-round moratorium on walleye fishing, starting Jan. 1

http://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/615...alleye-fishing/

PMEmail Poster
Mr.Bass
Posted: Jan 28, 2016 - 08:36 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 10588

well boys and girls i suggest massive crappie fishing to knock down the levels and from all the "people" filling buckets i am sure they will help that cause lolz and yes you get caught with a walleye no more fishing for you EVER!!! and a nice fine plus jail time or deportation would be the way to go here I Want My Lake Back!!!

PMEmail Poster
KingFisher18
  Posted: Feb 06, 2016 - 11:46 am

Alevin

Member No.: 11120

hey pretty new on here just like to say hello, thought this would be a good place to post as a resident of lake scugog, That being said, happy to see that the community getting involved. I have fished scugog for about 20 years or so, and the lakes definitely changed a lot. I have to agree with most above and say main contributors are over fishing/harvesting, and i'm sure the crappie aren't helping at all. (lets get crappie fishin!!)
And Totally agree and think scugog should get stalked, i would love to stalk it myself if the ministry allowed, or they should get fleming college involved, they have a fish hatchery there, i'm sure those kids would love to have a class on stalking the scugog river.(fish/wildlife) program.

One thing i thought id mention not knowing if its a contributing factor or not, maybe someone on here will have a better idea, osprey, there are nest all over lake scugog mainly close to the rivers, lindsay and the nonquon. anyways i fishing the last spring, and noticed as i was passing by gravel sections of the river (were the walleye would spawn), and they were dead walleye on the banks every were, the site was shocking wish i had a pic, i look around thinking what did this and notice and osprey few right over me and to his nest just down a lil off the river. went near the nest and could see it was being used and there was couple fish carcuses about 1 lb fish guessing, under the nest.

So lets say those dead walleye were from the osprey(not knowing because they were on shore) ,and the osprey only feeds on walleyes for the month or so, when the walleyes are spawning up river, that's 1 or 2 walleye a day, so guessing on the high end, that's 60 fish for one osprey, or so that didn't get to spawn. Thats if there only targeting walleye. anyways some food for thought.

Again don't know if this is a contributing factor just something i noticed fishing. but I haven't caught a walleye under 20inches in the last 2 years, i bet you one of those osprey has lol. Wow this sounds like i hate osprey, while i really don't those bird are magnificent! and lets be real were the real problem here not them.

PMEmail Poster
ROK07
Posted: Feb 12, 2016 - 12:48 pm

Egg

Member No.: 8688

Welcome kingfisher18

having a cottage on Scugog I would prefer you take your stalking somewhere else. Also, I don't think its a good idea to teach kids to stalk.

now if you want to stock Scugog, that's a much better use of your time. LOL!

sorry, I couldn't resist.

PMEmail Poster
KingFisher18
  Posted: Feb 18, 2016 - 08:55 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 11120

welcome ROK07, sorry if i'm mistaking, but i was talking about scugog above? i was just agreeing be a good idea to stalk, and sorry again, by kids i meant young adults, being educated, for the purpose that they might work for or with ministry one day.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!