Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Odd Topic
dmorrs35
Posted: Aug 08, 2024 - 01:12 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8547

Hey All,

I started catching Round Gobies in the Kawarthas last couple years while bluegill fishing for our family's annual fish fry.

I have kept them, ground them up in the blender and used them in the garden to help the flowers.

Our family goes to a cottage every year and its that time of year again.

I have read previously, others just feed them to wildlife etc.

Has anyone ever eaten them? Just curious if you can or not as these things are little b*****rds and strip your hooks clean in seconds the Tazmanian Devil with a ham leg.

PMEmail Poster
breezydock
Posted: Aug 10, 2024 - 02:05 pm

Fry

Member No.: 6600

My husband called the ministry a couple of years ago and was told to dispose of them without eating them. I guess because they’re bottom feeders?

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Aug 10, 2024 - 03:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

any I have caught have been too small to bother with.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Aug 10, 2024 - 11:52 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (breezydock @ Aug 10, 2024 - 02:05 pm)
My husband called the ministry a couple of years ago and was told to dispose of them without eating them. I guess because they’re bottom feeders?

I would say not the reason - as ling, crayfish, lobsters etc are bottom feeders and are known by many to be great table fare

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Aug 11, 2024 - 02:35 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

Gobies can contain massive amounts of botulism and still survive.

Several times what a human can endure from the reading I have done about it.

“ Zebra mussels are carriers of type E botulism, which the gobies help move further up the food chain”

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Aug 11, 2024 - 07:12 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

So if we move further up the chain to game fish would the botulism become more concentrated. or would the botulism kill those game fish. A few years ago there were many dead sturgeon washed up on Wasaga Beach. As I recall, their death was attributed to botulism in Z mussels.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Aug 11, 2024 - 08:02 pm

World Record Trout

Could possibly be the cause.

I know when the dead zone in Lake Erie, caused by excess of phosphorus and nitrogen, gets bad the Gobies exacerbate the problem by building up so much botulism that they eventually die. When they die they float and birds eat them and then the birds die. Also while dying perch and other fish eat them and those fish die. The Zebra muscles are the origin of the botulism but the Gobies spread it far and wide and at high concentrations.

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: Aug 12, 2024 - 02:42 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2426

QUOTE (Disco @ Aug 11, 2024 - 08:02 pm)

I know when the dead zone in Lake Erie, caused by excess of phosphorus and nitrogen, gets bad the Gobies exacerbate the problem by building up so much botulism that they eventually die. When they die they float and birds eat them and then the birds die. Also while dying perch and other fish eat them and those fish die. The Zebra muscles are the origin of the botulism but the Gobies spread it far and wide and at high concentrations.

O.K.
Why are the Cormorants not floating around dead from eating too many Gobies?
?

PMEmail Poster
centerspin
Posted: Aug 12, 2024 - 06:25 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 347

Lots of whitefish with zebra muscles in their stomachs. Maybe Simcoe ZM has less botulism?

PMEmail Poster
bassmasterrr
Posted: Aug 13, 2024 - 08:51 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 13353

Kind of off topic but found one shoal in particular last weekend was infested with huge gobies on simcoe (6 inchers in guessin atleast ) and they were poppin out eggs when brought up. How many times do they spawn in a year ?

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Aug 13, 2024 - 04:41 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

when i get one I just cut the head off and let it swim away

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Aug 15, 2024 - 02:07 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Aug 13, 2024 - 04:41 pm)
when i get one I just cut the head off and let it swim away

kind of what I also do

that is one fish i would never consider eating either

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
2Mac
Posted: Aug 16, 2024 - 12:41 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 19148

QUOTE (RHYBAK @ Aug 12, 2024 - 02:42 pm)

O.K.
?

I'm not sure how common it is but I have seen a few cormorants floating dead on the surface between BBP and Kempenfelt. In fact last year around this time I saw 3 in one day all within a couple of hundred yards from each other. When I saw the first one I thought maybe a boat or seadoo took it out but after seeing the other 2 fairly close to it I realized it was something else.
I'm not saying it was from eating Gobies but I feel like it was environmental in some way.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Aug 16, 2024 - 08:08 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (RHYBAK @ Aug 12, 2024 - 02:42 pm)

O.K.
?

That would be because of botulism isn’t always in high concentration or always present. When it is present, gobies concentrate it in the food chain.

Gobies are not safe to consume because the of the risk associated with the chance of high amounts of E botulism.

Cormorants don’t exclusively eat Gobies but yes Cormorants can and do die from high concentrations of Botulism.

Taken from Michigan Sea Grant.

“Loons, mergansers, long tail ducks, grebes, scaup, cormorants, and gulls are the bird species commonly affected by Type E botulism.”

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!