» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New regs concerning PFDs/Lifejackets?, Government seeking public consultation
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Sep 09, 2024 - 06:50 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7520

The federal government recently published an online post entitled, "Let's talk: Making personal flotation devices/lifejackets mandatory for recreational boaters."

The link to this article can be found at https://letstalktransportation.ca/lets-talk...sfzztaTELJdGKVA

The article contains some interesting data regarding PFD/lifejacket usage as well as sobering facts on non-use of PFDs/lifejackets.

The government "want[s] to hear from stakeholders and the Canadian public" regarding possible changes to regulations concerning the use of lifejackets and PFDs that "would apply while a vessel is moving".

PMEmail Poster
Woodfarmer
Posted: Sep 09, 2024 - 07:35 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 19144

I wasn’t aware until this year that inflatable life jackets don’t count unless your actually wearing it.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Sep 09, 2024 - 08:57 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Thx for posting. I guess I should add my 2 cents worth to the survey. I'd rather not see them mandatory in a canoe, which is prob the 'low lying fruit' for the regs. There are hot days when falling out of a canoe could be quite pleasant. I wear mine in the waves on open stretches even when it's hot though

PMEmail Poster
Ragefrog
Posted: Sep 09, 2024 - 09:04 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 19400

That is why I also keep a regular PFD as well. This way I can wear the inflatable when the boat is moving and take off when I stop to fish, I'm still legal because I also have the regular PFD on board.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 09, 2024 - 09:47 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

My life jacket goes on before I step in the boat, and does not come off until I step out of the boat. Spring, summer or fall, it doesn't matter the life jacket stays on. It's called a life jacket because it's made to save your life. You don't want your family to get that call when you don't make it home.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Sep 09, 2024 - 10:00 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Like Jamie....on before I step in the boat and off after I step out. Whether the boat is moving or not a life jacket should be on. If you are sitting still and a boat runs over you and knocks you unconscious.......let's see you find your jacket....yeah right....you are a fatality. Even in a canoe put it on. Canoes and kayaks are hard to see. Also a lot of boats have auto pilot now which has made the driver lazy in some cases and they do not pay attention to what they are doing as much as without that feature. Bottom line put it on.

Government make it mandatory to wear it and enforce it. About time I say.

It really is a no brainer.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xiaolu
Posted: Sep 10, 2024 - 05:15 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (crappeeeman @ Sep 09, 2024 - 09:47 pm)
My life jacket goes on before I step in the boat, and does not come off until I step out of the boat. Spring, summer or fall, it doesn't matter the life jacket stays on. It's called a life jacket because it's made to save your life. You don't want your family to get that call when you don't make it home.

Same for me: My life jacket goes on before I step in my kayak, keeps on while on water, and does not come off until I step out of my kayak whether it is spring, summer or fall... :-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Disco
Posted: Sep 10, 2024 - 09:02 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

I changed to inflatables a couple of years ago.

It’s mandatory on my boat on lake O to wear life Jackets when down rigging. Yes you have to have an inflatable on to make it legal but even if you didn’t it’s mandatory on my boat.

All the small craft it should be mandatory including paddle boards. I am so tired of see stupid people on paddle boards with no life jacket. Everyone falls off them from time to time. A light bump to the head falling off is all it takes to take a gulp of water and drown.

As for the Huge charter boats I don’t get to go on I can see how it wouldn’t be as necessary to have a life jacket on but I am sure it’s safer on than in storage compartments.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Sep 10, 2024 - 09:24 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

My .05 cents since there no more pennies, as I was getting older, I started to wear mine too, on at the launch and off back on land, I found sometimes the footing in the boat with bigger waves can cause you to lose balance very easy. Stand up for a pee, not happening anymore, down on one knee and pee in the bailing bucket.
Younger people think they're invincible, until the fateful happens. If they wish to go that route, hey like it's said you can't fix stupid. It's been proven many times over, I want to collect as much pension as possible.

PM
Limacharley
Posted: Sep 10, 2024 - 11:30 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11791

We know why Quint didn't wear one...

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

What's your excuse?

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
sabmgb
Posted: Sep 10, 2024 - 01:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

been wearing mine now for about 15 years. never come off whether stopped or not. In shoulder months it is a full life jacket, in hot weather it is an inflatable. My boys came out with me week ago, both in 30's the first thing they did was reach for their jackets. Should have been law a long time ago. Also I think there is another benefit for wearing one. I have seen the OPP many times a year stopping people, I have been stopped twice. I think they see me wearing my lifejacket and figure it is a waste of time to check me.

PMEmail Poster
theskydiveguy
Posted: Sep 11, 2024 - 08:51 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 17603

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Sep 10, 2024 - 09:24 am)
My .05 cents since there no more pennies, as I was getting older, I started to wear mine too, on at the launch and off back on land, I found sometimes the footing in the boat with bigger waves can cause you to lose balance very easy. Stand up for a pee, not happening anymore, down on one knee and pee in the bailing bucket.
Younger people think they're invincible, until the fateful happens. If they wish to go that route, hey like it's said you can't fix stupid. It's been proven many times over, I want to collect as much pension as possible.

Me too!

Im not even that old yet, but it makes sense.

I even drove home with my on the other day! LOL - maybe I am getting old.

PMEmail Poster
Brooktrout
Posted: Sep 11, 2024 - 10:05 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 64

QUOTE (Limacharley @ Sep 10, 2024 - 11:30 am)

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

What's your excuse?

One of the greatest cinematic scenes ever! LOL

Fortunately, there aren't any sharks in Simcoe (That I'm aware of).

PMEmail Poster
stocco75
Posted: Sep 11, 2024 - 10:05 am

Fry

Member No.: 20458

I’ve owned some kind of boat and canoe since the early 70s, and have always worn a life jacket, and insisted that anyone else with me wear one, or they don’t get to go out with me.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Sep 11, 2024 - 03:10 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Brooktrout @ Sep 11, 2024 - 11:05 am)
QUOTE (Limacharley @ Sep 10, 2024 - 11:30 am)

What's your excuse?

One of the greatest cinematic scenes ever! LOL

Fortunately, there aren't any sharks in Simcoe (That I'm aware of).

What movie is that from? Just curious. thx

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!