» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Midweek Crown Camp, Searching for September splake...
Mike33
Posted: Sep 13, 2024 - 08:40 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 19120

A friend and I got out for a few days this week to camp and try for stocked splake. I had trekked into this lake once in the winter before to scout the area. The lake itself is roughly 50ha with a max depth of 40'.

Attached Image

There are two sections to the lake: one main basin (40') and a second smaller one on the west end (30'). Given the moderate size of the lake, our plan was to start out trolling the shoreline of the lake and slowly work our way deeper based on the depth we marked fish.

Attached Image

Splake have been a species that up to this point have eluded me. Hybrid genetics make them a challenging fish to pattern from a behaviour standpoint. After trolling the perimeter of the lake several times changing our routes and depths, we decided to try something different. We saw trout breaching the surface of the water so we started casting towards shallower structure; weed beds, downed trees, points etc. The trout continued to feed on the surface, every splash revealing their location. We offered them worms rigged on a slip-float and that did produce a fish, although not the species we were hoping for. Creek chub? Common shiner?

Attached Image

Finally we decided to try vertical jigging over a deeper part of the lake (we had marked fish at 25' over 30'-40' while trolling past). I tied a black wooly bugger above a 1/4oz dropshot weight and waited as the marks returned beneath us.

Attached Image

After working a stubborn mark on the sonar for a few minutes, I felt a bite and it was good weight. I anxiously peered down as the fish neared the surface- a white sucker. We both had a good laugh and continued jigging as more fish circled below. Soon after, we finally got into our target species, each of us landing a small yearling splake in succession:

Attached Image

We didn't end up catching any more splake which was disappointing but the weather was great and time spent on the water is always better than working.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Sep 13, 2024 - 08:47 am

Adult Trout

If anyone has any pointers for splake, let me know. I've read the best time to target them is when surface temperatures drop to 10C closer to mid October. I will be returning to this lake at some point to try again.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 13, 2024 - 01:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

I have no knowledge of splake fishing, but those shiners are what catch the big pike for me in the fall. Good luck next time you go back there.

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: Sep 13, 2024 - 03:05 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

Nice lake. I fished last two days and only have two herring to speak of. Despite a graph full of big fish most times. Hopefully it cools down after this week and we get a pile of rain before end of the month.

PMEmail Poster
Winterfisher
Posted: Sep 14, 2024 - 07:14 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16638

I wish I could help you with this one. I've put plenty of time in on stocked lakes. Mostly through the ice. I have caught fish on some, but to be honest, find them a waste of time. Always down for an adventure, and you never know a lake until you've tried a few times, but the stock lakes always seem to be a bust. I've got my go to places now that stick to with the odd venture out to a new one in hopes of finding a producing lake. As the sang goes "you have to fish where the fish are".

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Sep 14, 2024 - 10:52 am

Adult Trout

Winterfisher, I’ve had a similar experience with stocked lakes as well. Often feast or famine, most being the latter. Ease of access always seems to be the main factor when it comes to productivity.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Sep 14, 2024 - 05:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

I’ve had better luck in October to freeze up or early spring until June. I usually don’t fish a lake the year it’s been stocked but the year or two after as they grow quickly and can be up to4.5 pounds in the second year after stocking.
The small stockers are eager biters but can kill themselves by taking a lure too deep.
Remote access is also helpful.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Sep 15, 2024 - 07:24 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Fishnhunt @ Sep 14, 2024 - 05:39 pm)
I’ve had better luck in October to freeze up or early spring until June. I usually don’t fish a lake the year it’s been stocked but the year or two after as they grow quickly and can be up to4.5 pounds in the second year after stocking.
The small stockers are eager biters but can kill themselves by taking a lure too deep.
Remote access is also helpful.

This all makes sense, their growth rate can be impressive in lakes without any other competition. Do you change your tactics at all between brook trout and splake?

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 17, 2024 - 05:42 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

Great report Mike, and pics
I agree with most of what’s been said above, have had my own struggles finding splake over the years. The best thing I’ve come up with in the last couple years is gulp minnows (the kind in liquid stink juice) 3” size in natural looking white belly/black back colour. On a jig head, drop shot, or trolled behind a small spoon have all worked for me.

I think they get a bit brook trout ish too, and shut right down to the point you’d swear no fish even lived in the lake.

PMEmail Poster
petersaban
Posted: Sep 17, 2024 - 06:13 am

Fry

Member No.: 2730

They will be in real shallow soon, making or on beds. They don't successfully reproduce, but they don't know that.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Sep 17, 2024 - 07:06 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Drew @ Sep 17, 2024 - 05:42 am)
Great report Mike, and pics
I agree with most of what’s been said above, have had my own struggles finding splake over the years.  The best thing I’ve come up with in the last couple years is gulp minnows (the kind in liquid stink juice) 3” size in natural looking white belly/black back colour.  On a jig head, drop shot, or trolled behind a small spoon have all worked for me. 

I think they get a bit brook trout ish too, and shut right down to the point you’d swear no fish even lived in the lake.

Thanks for the input Drew. 3" gulp minnow is a similar presentation to what I use for targeting whitefish vertically, I'll give it a go next time.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Sep 17, 2024 - 07:08 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (petersaban @ Sep 17, 2024 - 06:13 am)
They will be in real shallow soon, making or on beds. They don't successfully reproduce, but they don't know that.

I will definitely be fishing for them shallower next time out. Either late this fall or next spring.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!