» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lowrance Hook 4 Ice machine, anyone has one?
Flukes
Posted: Oct 10, 2024 - 11:57 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15807

I ordered one of these units because it was on sale at Radioworld for only $149 (regular price was listed at $500..supposedly - https://www.radioworld.ca/product/low-00012...-000-12650-001). Since it was so cheap, I got one (just arrived today - took only 2 or 3 days...I live too far to make the trip to the store worth it so I paid for the shipping, which was about $26 and so much less than gas for me, never mind the driving time and part of it being in the GTA).
Anyway, I am curious if anyone has one of these and your opinion on the unit.
Note, this package comes with a portable bag (soft) case, a foam float for the transducer, an ice transducer, a standard 12V 7A rechargeable battery, charger, two small tackle boxes (the Plano types), some maps already installed and of course cables (for power and transducer).
I was surprised by the inclusion of the battery for that price. The transducer itself is about $100, the foam float for the transducer is about $15, battery and charger is about $40-75 (this is a Yuasa brand battery but the charger looks really cheap, which is not a problem as I have a much better charger already).
So it seemed like a real good deal for a simple ice fishing sonar. I hope it works reasonably well and that it was not a waste of time. I was thinking that it had to be better than a couple of very old and tough black/white sonars that I still have (and use) as they still work well and I have had no issues with either.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Yesterday at 12:03 am

World Record Trout

...and it has GPS as well with some maps.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
goingout
Posted: Yesterday at 05:13 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13298

I have the HOOK 5 and love it!!! I think you got a good deal...

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Yesterday at 07:23 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

I once had a Hook 5 as well, and had no issue with it, until I accidentally destroyed it (screen/monitor "filleted" by my ice auger blade on ice!:-)

As you already mentioned John, those "extras" or whatever included in the package sans the fishfinder itself is already worth the price you paid for.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jesse
Posted: Yesterday at 10:01 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16608

I have a hook 4 but my screens wider than taller and mine didn’t come maps but it works really well

PMEmail Poster
2Mac
Posted: Yesterday at 04:14 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 19148

I’m not sure about this unit either but from everything I did read and see this was too good of a deal to pass up. I’ve been looking for a new ice sonar for a bit now and this price for a new complete unit is perfect for me. Thanks for the heads up on this deal. I appreciate it

PMEmail Poster
naturefan
Posted: Yesterday at 05:51 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3236

I'm still using Hook 4 on the ice fishing, I like it's small and lite what is good for the mobility. It's still working good, just rarely screen got frozen or turns OFF, other then that is good. I like the screen shows verticaly in the same length like 7" horizontal one. Good luck!

PMEmail Poster
Andy14
Posted: Yesterday at 06:18 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7784

Will do exactly what you need

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Yesterday at 07:51 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (2Mac @ Oct 11, 2024 - 04:14 pm)
I’m not sure about this unit either but from everything I did read and see this was too good of a deal to pass up. I’ve been looking for a new ice sonar for a bit now and this price for a new complete unit is perfect for me. Thanks for the heads up on this deal. I appreciate it

Note that the sale ends on Oct. 31. And they just got the units in (it was on order even as the sale started so I call them and after checking their new shipment, the guy came back to tell me they just got their shipment of them - 70 units in total I think). It is an amazing price...I was even considering getting an extra one (for a gift for someone).

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Yesterday at 07:54 pm

World Record Trout

Thanks all. I have it set up now...didn't take long as the power code comes already with the connectors attached to the wires (unlike the Garmin striker unit I had a look at - bare, clean wires for you to add the connectors and heat-shrink tubing and electrical tape - not a big deal but it's so nice that the HOOK4 came with everything ready to plug in and go.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Yesterday at 07:58 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Oct 11, 2024 - 07:23 am)
I once had a Hook 5 as well, and had no issue with it, until I accidentally destroyed it (screen/monitor "filleted" by my ice auger blade on ice!:-)

As you already mentioned John, those "extras" or whatever included in the package sans the fishfinder itself is already worth the price you paid for.

Now, that is an interesting way to use an auger...not sure my auger ever got close enough to even scratch the old sonar monitors that I have.

Agreed that price was surprisingly low- I really didn't expect the battery and charger as well because on Radioworld's website, they do not list the battery and charger as part of the package (but even without the battery adn charger, it would have been a good enough deal for me to give it a shot).

I'll have to bring it out in the kayak to play around with it a bit before the ice season....I may even have an older Lowarnce skimmer than may work (it's part of the old Lowrance unit I have which uses the same ice transducer that came with the HOOK4...so maybe doable even if not all the functions will be available with the older transducer).

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Yesterday at 08:01 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (2Mac @ Oct 11, 2024 - 04:14 pm)

No problem. I was hoping the post would also help others looking for a cheaper, simpler unit. Love what all the new really expensive sonars can do now (wow) but no way I can justify spending that amount of money for it now and I am more than fine with waiting until the prices drop if they just become the norm in sonars in the future)

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!