Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Balsam Pike, First timer
abdulh
  Posted: Jul 09, 2024 - 06:08 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 20644

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to share that I'll be fishing at Balsam Lake for the first time from July 15-18. I'm relatively new to fishing and have been wanting to catch a pike for a long time. I've heard great things about the lake and can't wait to experience it myself.

Since I'm a bit of a newbie, I'd love to hear any advice or tips you all might have. Specifically, I'm looking for recommendations for where on Balsam Lake I should focus on not looking for anyone to share there honey holes just a general area and your tips and advice for a first timer

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your advice, and tight lines to everyone!

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Jul 09, 2024 - 08:33 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10648

I don't fish Balsam but welcome to fishing and the board. You will get lots of advice from a lot of great and knowledgable members on here.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Hank Jr
Posted: Jul 10, 2024 - 06:56 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6860

Balsam has a good population of Pike . Where are you going to launch from ? I sent you a email with some areas to try . Good luck have a good trip

Hank jr

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jul 10, 2024 - 07:56 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Now I am just going by what the weather is looking like so far, for the 15th to the 18th. Looks like you are going to get some good pike and walleye weather, when you are on Balsam. So far it looks a bit wet with some wind. Not the greatest forecast for some people on a holiday. But if you are targeting pike on Balsam, it's perfect. If by chance you are launching at Rosedale, just follow the lake chart and head north. Fish around all the islands where the water drops off to around 12 to 15 feet, just off the edge of each weed line. Watch out for the rocks, having a lake chart is always a good idea. You can keep going north right into Gull river, lots of pike in there. If you are looking for big pike, those areas is where I would fish. If you just want a few smaller ones to eat, just fish the shallow bays in the morning and evening. The biggest pike on Balsam will be hiding in the cooler water right now. Right in the very edge of the weed line before the ledge drops off to the deeper water. Many times we have trolled the main channel heading north in 15 to 20 feet of water. This area gets you huge pike on hot and sunny days. Good luck and stay safe. Don't forget a lake chart it will come in handy, many shallow rocks around the islands.

PMEmail Poster
Shore Troller
Posted: Jul 11, 2024 - 04:44 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 18643

Hello

Please make sure that you know the difference between a Pike and a Muskie, both are present in that lake.
If you catch a Muskie please release it. The Pike and Muskie are in competition and the Pike are invaders.

Good Luck

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!