Members |  Forum Rules |  Search

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Leads and speeds
Jesse
Posted: Jul 08, 2024 - 04:52 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16608

I've been downrigging for a couple years now I've always used the theory of the deeper I go the shorter the lead so if I'm in a 100 feet of water using a flasher and anchovie I would use a 25 foot to 30 foot lead when in fifty feet I use 50 feet of lead and it seems to work with speeds around 1.9 to 2.5 mph when I use a spoon I like keeping a longer lead like 75feet back down 50 feet trolling anywhere from 2.5 to 3mph what do you guys use for a lead and what speed for certain spoons or flasher setups on the great lakes I'm curious to know not that I want to steal anyone's magic I'm just trying to put more salmon in the boat this year

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Jul 09, 2024 - 04:16 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 13620

Hi Jesse, sounds like you’re having success, on the days that you’re not you’ve just gotta play around with your leads and speeds. I’ll use 40-50 feet typically with anything, unless it’s one of those hot fish (fish shaped) flashers, they’ll make a huge mess if you’re too far from the ball, like 20 max. Sometimes I’ll have a spoon 20 feet from the ball and find out that’s what they want. On days when it’s a grind I’ll try a longer lead. Same with speeds, if somethings working stick with it. If you’re not catching anything start playing with speeds. Definitely don’t be afraid to play with speed as I believe it’s more of a factor than leads typically. A good trick if you’re off on your own like I try to be is to start doing turns, it makes your outside set up go faster and inside a bit slower, if one starts going off you can adjust your speed up or down and give it a try. I don’t mean to be vague, it’s just one of those things…

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jul 09, 2024 - 06:30 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

Iceman’s comment about speed being critical was interesting.When we were out last Saturday we would slow down to bring the fish to the net at the back of the boat. We never hooked up again until we sped back up. The fish liked a 3.0 mph troll that day.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Jul 09, 2024 - 10:52 am

Trophy Trout

Thanks fishnhunt, I will say I’m definitely not the best out there but it’s just something I’ve noticed. Looks like you had a great day as well the other day! Are you guys both in the derby?

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jul 09, 2024 - 11:17 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

So agree with playing with the speeds......lots of times that is because of currents....

I/ve also seen days when you slow down to 1 mph to net a big fish and 2 rods fire off.....never know

AS for leads.......spring....flatling cranks or spoons 80-120 back

from June on typically 20-30 feet back on a rigger......spoon or flasher....On days when you see streaks shooting up and no hits, I will tighten up to 6 feet

On flay sunny days with a shallow bite I may max out 50 feet behind the ball on riggers

You didn't mention dipseys or leadcore, but they are dynamite on the lake

for fish dowm say 90 feet, it's generally a 10-15 foot lead and a cheater on top around 8-10 feet

keep experimenting till you find what works best for you

btw, It's a great question

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Jesse
Posted: Jul 09, 2024 - 07:01 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16608

Thanks guys yes that happens alot where fish will shoot up to my ball but ignore my presentation 50 feet back I'll try to shorten my leads to 25 or less when I'm marking fish coming up , I've always had luck trolling higher than the bait balls I notice as I always assume fish look up and will easily cover alot of depth in a hurry to chase bait . As for leadcore or dipsys I don't try often since I mainly fish solo and in Georgian bay only one line is allowed . I appreciate the knowledge i get from this site and its members and i figured this would b a good topic to start

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jul 09, 2024 - 08:40 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

QUOTE (Icemanjay @ Jul 09, 2024 - 10:52 am)
Thanks fishnhunt, I will say I’m definitely not the best out there but it’s just something I’ve noticed. Looks like you had a great day as well the other day! Are you guys both in the derby?

No we are not in the derby as our boat is usually at the cottage.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Jul 09, 2024 - 09:14 pm

Trophy Trout

Ah ok that makes sense, you should get a day pass if you’re gonna be catching them like that haha! Very interesting topic indeed and I was interested to hear what longshank said about shortening leads for window shoppers. I was out again tonight, finally got my eldest daughter out with me and she loved it! Got her hooked up with 5 nice fish, she wants to go back, mission successful!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!