» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sometimes you lose
Species8472
Posted: Feb 12, 2024 - 05:25 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 20215

Most of the time we post our wins. But every once in while good to post a loss - helps keep my ego in check.

So Sunday - Still lots of ice on Nip but I knew there was a high probability of open cracks after the thaw but not really bothered by it - if you stick to daylight running you can typically find a spot narrow enough to jump or skip across the open water. My machine is 11 foot 6 inches long and based on its ability to basically water ski i am comfortable intentionally crossing open water 10 feet wide. I have crossed significantly wider stretches but those were all "unplanned." So got on the ice at 8 am and planned to ride 25 km out to a hotspot i was intent on fishing. Over the course of 24.5 km i crossed 3 open cracks - one 2 footer, a 4 footer and lastly a 10 footer a 1/2 km short of my destination. Well in order to skip across you need speed and the wider the crack the more speed you need. I hit the last crack doing about 65 km/hour and zipped across no problem. The problem though was 100 feet past the crack i hit a bump (didn't even see it) and was still carrying decent speed (just over 50 km/hour) from the puddle jump. Well i was thrown air born and the machine flipped.

I remember coming off the machine and i remember standing up after i came to rest on the ice. Because of the thaw there was no snow to soften my landing - just hard glare ice. Got up and i was about 50 feet from the flipped machine. No idea how much of that 50 was through the air and what was sliding/tumbling or what angle i hit the ice at - but must have been a favorable angle as no broken bones. Of course being the maniac i am i was solo. Walked back to the machine and somehow managed to flip it back over - Machine weighs 746 lbs dry and i had just under 50 litres of fuel in the tank plus the track was loaded with slush and ice. I had the key clipped to my jacket so as soon as i launched the machine shutoff. Positive i was functioning on 100% adrenaline the whole time as i don't know how or actually even really remember flipping the machine back over. Lost half the polycarbonate windshield, ripped some body panels loose, smashed the brake fluid reservoir, twisted the hitch and apparently i made some head contact with the ice as my helmet was missing the visor and was pretty banged up.

Got back on the machine and it started and drove - small win. Went to my planned fishing spot and was starting to unpack the toboggan - it actually never flipped and cover stayed on and everything somehow stayed inside. At that moment the adrenaline wore off and the entire left side of my body was like i don't think so. Also started to get mildly nauseous. Well put the cover back on the toboggan and decided to head back. I wasn't sure if the machine was okay to make it and i felt like %^&* so figured better head now with lots of light in case i need help instead of waiting until an hour before dark and ending up stranded 25 km out in the dark. Had to cross the same 3 cracks on my way out but machine held up and gave the speed i needed for the crossings. Made it back to the cottage just before noon poured myself a double fixed up a bowl of stew and went back to bed.

Between adrenaline and probably a bit of shock didn't take photos of the fiasco until i was back at the cottage. Sometimes mother nature says you lose and Sunday was one of those days. Couple pics after the fact:

The new windshield:

Attached Image

The adrenaline/shock half azzed repair of body panels:

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
4Perch
Posted: Feb 12, 2024 - 05:33 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7313

Good to hear you made it back, could've been much worse.... machines can be fixed and you ego will heal but bodies sometimes too far gone. Be safe out there if you get back at it.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Feb 12, 2024 - 07:59 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

you are very lucky, could have been much worse. especially when you say went back to bed, could have a concussion, like what been said equipment can be fixed or replaced. take care of yourself.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Feb 12, 2024 - 09:09 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 13620

Glad to hear you’re ok, I’d look at that as a win. Sucks about the damage to your machine.. the fish gods owe you one now!

PMEmail Poster
dickie
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 - 06:33 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 124

You were wise to turn back home after that episode. Hope you heal both body and spirit. Better fishing next time.

PMEmail Poster
Hunterman
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 - 07:13 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14832

Times like that you have to admit that the helmet does far more than keep you warmer on an already mild day. As things tighten up again in the latest cooling we’re starting into those chunks of ice will likely be an issue. Take it easy guys!

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 - 08:40 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12683

I was wondering how your trip went but never expected that.
I can usually find a positive in a negative and this is a good example.
When something goes wrong i can always find and see how lucky i was.
Besides I heard the fishing that day was really terrible.
looks like the panels may pop back in.
I got a replacement after market shield cheap i think it may have been on Royal distributing. cheers

PMEmail Poster
fisherman2280
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 - 10:25 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16918

Your very luck and glad your ok but I though I was a risk taker.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 - 11:51 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Good to hear you lived to tell the story , sometimes lessons learned in life can be extremely painful. Going forward please be safe.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
streeker02
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 - 11:51 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2910

dang brother. Glad you're OK for the most part.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 - 01:49 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

OMG!!! you gave me flashback to 21 years ago when I was run off the road on my Harley. And I loved the Mother Nature implied being mean statement. You will be up and out on another adventure in no time. We are not getting any younger man, stay safe. I never liked wearing a helmet, but I am glad the law was there to make me wear it. Otherwise who knows how hard the head really is, until it takes a big smack.

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 - 03:21 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

Wow that sucks!
Glad you made it home okay.
Buy a new helmet as that one is toast.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 - 10:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Glad your home and safe and sound bud.
Everything thing else doesn't matter.
Stay safe.

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Feb 15, 2024 - 01:31 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 20215

Thanks for the kind words guys. As it turns out even with the helmet on i knocked my noggin pretty good - have to buy a new helmet next week. Concussed apparently. Taking it easy this week, no real pain or anything but can't focus very well and lose my train of thought pretty easy (well easier than before). Hopefully cold locks things back up. Planning to hit the lake again Feb 23,24 but going to stay in closer and will be using my wife's sled LOL.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Feb 15, 2024 - 01:38 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (Species8472 @ Feb 15, 2024 - 01:31 pm)
Thanks for the kind words guys. As it turns out even with the helmet on i knocked my noggin pretty good - have to buy a new helmet next week. Concussed apparently. Taking it easy this week, no real pain or anything but can't focus very well and lose my train of thought pretty easy (well easier than before). Hopefully cold locks things back up. Planning to hit the lake again Feb 23,24 but going to stay in closer and will be using my wife's sled LOL.

Glad to hear you are mending....be safe brother.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!