Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Back in the Saddle
Species8472
Posted: Feb 25, 2024 - 11:13 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 20215

As many of you know, 2 weeks ago was a $%^& show for me. Well back out for the first time today since that episode. Got on the ice just before 9am at Fish Bay and went 14 km down the west side of South Bay. Set up in about 25 feet of water. Using my wife's sled as my Skandic is out for the season after the incident 2 weeks ago:

Attached Image

Had 14 inches of good ice at this spot. The ice was making a lot of noise all day with periodic small movements and tons of cracking sounds. Was eerie. I fished until 3:30 pm but decided to leave early as still not fully recovered from the concussion and wanted lots of light for the ride out. Fishing was okay with 6 perch and a cisco kept. 2 perch sent back, 1 walleye sent back and something big (probably a pike) that was taking out line and then bit off my leader.

Sampling of fish:

Attached Image

Attached Image

On the ride back out there was one sizable crack/open water section that was not there on the ride out in the morning:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Did not try to cross it - found a way around it. Looking at the forecast today may be the last day of the Nip season for me this year.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Feb 26, 2024 - 12:21 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Good to get back out there and catch some fish. Take care of your head man. No water skiing for you.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Feb 26, 2024 - 09:25 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12683

Had pretty much same experience yesterday in my 450i fatfish.Went out at 9 and left at 3. I marked lots of fish but few takers. Stopped marking any after 2 which made my decision to leave easier. Crack had gotten worse on my ride in and forcast for next week is crazy up and down with a plus 10 for next weekend which may just end the fishing.
I thought the full moon and low pressure would produce good fishing but they had other thoughts.

PMEmail Poster
Hunterman
Posted: Feb 26, 2024 - 09:55 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14832

After late day snow yesterday some good sled lubricant available this morning. Likely will be all gone tomorrow. Today could be the last ok sled day. 2 perch in 20 mins so far….

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!