» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> South Bay Provincial Park, Has anyone explored this property?
robertmowen
Posted: Jul 11, 2024 - 10:45 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16077

Random question...

On the shores of the south bay of Nipissing, there is a provincial park on the map labeled South Bay Provincial Park. The web gives some info about there being park land for exploring, but having no facilities. On the google map, there shows a pond nearest to the lake, and overhead photos actually show a building there in satellite view, and if you zoom in far enough on the map view, it seems to show the small box of land with the building colored yellow, not green to represent the park. Anyone know anything about this space? Is it a private inholding? Any chance that pond that is within the park on the map holds fish? I have always been curious if these meadow type ponds hold any fish, and would prefer to be more familiar before going through the effort to land a boat on the shore and buy a day's pass.

Thanks for any info to satisfy my curiosity.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
robertmowen
Posted: Jul 11, 2024 - 10:45 am

Parr Trout

map view.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
ronzigator
Posted: Jul 16, 2024 - 08:26 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11378

For mapping in Ontario, I prefer to use the Ontario GIS mapping system:

https://www.lioapplications.lrc.gov.on.ca/M...TM&locale=en-CA

You can zoom further, and if you select the 'Map Layers' tab you can toggle between satellite view and property lines.

PMEmail Poster
robertmowen
Posted: Jul 22, 2024 - 03:06 pm

Parr Trout

Thank you, That viewer offers me more information, but also more questions. Ha!

Those specific ponds are more impacted by vegetation than I first thought. More questions arise from using Google Earth, and watching the timelapse. The vegetation in the inland ponds seems to fluctuate significantly from one year to the next. Of course there are a ton of variables at play, but the change is sometimes startling. Without the luxury of knowing the exact dates of each satellite image, comparting seasonal changes and the pattern caused by it is very hard.

Hmm.... I'd love to make the 2km walk back to the ponds that don't ever cover with grass, but that's a tough go on unknown terrain, carrying fishing rods, and hassled by bugs.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Jul 24, 2024 - 07:49 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3521

That's a beaver pond. The vegetation change is likely more a reflection of image date than year to year fluctuation.
Beaver ponds are successional. If the beavers that maintain the dam move out, the water goes with them. Google maps still shows ponds that I know are dry.
Baitfish like chubs or dace might be common, but I've yet to actually see fish in ponds like the one in your pic. They tend to be quite shallow and weed-choked.. likely go anoxic in winter?

The "ponds" that don't ever cover with "grass" are likely kettle lakes. They would be deeper with a less variable water situation and would be your best bet for fish.

I duck hunt. I check out a lot of ponds

PMEmail Poster
robertmowen
Posted: Jul 26, 2024 - 10:35 am

Parr Trout

I appreciate your perspective! We'll see if I can make the trek deeper into the woods.

PMEmail Poster
jip
Posted: Jul 28, 2024 - 05:36 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 6266

The building in question is a hunt camp on a land use permit...there are others within the park.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!