Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New to kayak PDL fishing, Lake Simcoe
creo104
Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 11:40 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12437

Hello - I have purchased a new PDL (pescadore pilot) and I'm itching to take it out fishing. I live in the Kitchener area. Does anyone have any lake suggestions ? Any advice for fishing Lake Simcoe on a PDL this time of year?

PMEmail Poster
Dangerfield
Posted: Jun 12, 2024 - 12:31 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16156

Welcome to the club!

First things first, I would download the GoPaddling app on your phone. This gives you detailed access to a ton of boat launches. I would try something local first before making a long journey to Barrie. Lake Simcoe is a great fishery, but I would avoid Kempenfelt Bay in the summer time on the weekend for your own safety. I do go out but there's a fair bit of fairweather boaters and seadoers that don't respect the lake or give a crap if you're on your 10-12' kayak.

I would try to find a smaller body of water and get you bearing on your vessel before going on big water. Also I reco not buying accessories until after a trip or two.

https://paddling.com/paddle/go-paddling-app

PMEmail Poster
centerspin
Posted: Jun 12, 2024 - 03:00 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 347

Guelph lake has no gas-motorized boats allowed and some fishing. It is a good place to try getting used to before facing boat wake. Same goes to Rockwood.
Belwood and Conestogo are to try the wake and better fishing
Then the sky is the limit:)

PMEmail Poster
Furlong
Posted: Jun 12, 2024 - 04:26 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 57

I have the Pilot as well, LOVE IT, very stable for a kayak, great for fishing but don't put too much faith in the "rod holders" behind your seat (ask me how I know)

Something I learned about the yak on my first fishing trip regarding weeds...the propeller loves to eat them and will bung up real quick if you're not careful.

I fashioned a pick out of an old screwdriver to pull the salad out from around the hub...saves me a bunch of time and agony when i get tangled. Have attached a lanyard and small holster to the seat for it. Essential piece of kit for me

EDIT: A tiny bit of light lubricant on the hinging parts of the drive unit will help prevent a squeak when you're pedaling that can get annoying

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Jun 12, 2024 - 08:46 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

QUOTE (centerspin @ Jun 12, 2024 - 03:00 pm)
Guelph lake has no gas-motorized boats allowed and some fishing. It is a good place to try getting used to before facing boat wake. Same goes to Rockwood.
Belwood and Conestogo are to try the wake and better fishing
Then the sky is the limit:)

X2 and welcome aboard.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Brooktrout
Posted: Jun 13, 2024 - 02:15 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 64

I don't have a kayak, but I understand the Conservation area in Organgeville has some decent fishing opportunities. It's also a non-motorized waterbody. (Bass, Pike, panfish etc)

If/when you decide to venture out to the bigger lakes, I would also suggest flying a "high-vis" flag on your Yak - just to make it easier for boats to spot you.

Good luck - this is something I've wanted to get into for some smaller northern lakes I can't take my Nitro to.

PMEmail Poster
Jesse
Posted: Jun 14, 2024 - 11:00 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16608

Always check your wind just like going out in a boat pick only the nice calm days on the water wind and waves are even more dangerous than wakes caused by others in boats

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: Jun 15, 2024 - 12:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3419

I would recommend a flag pole so bigger boats see you and other people using the water many people don't have respect or brains .As people suggested smaller body of water to get some experience good luck and have fun.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!