Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Can't Remember a Worse Year, marking fish not biting
Styles
Posted: Feb 19, 2023 - 03:56 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10755

Ive fished Nipissing basically my entire life. I can't remember a year so bad for perch. Ive heard coworkers having similar results. Every time I've been out I've marked fish they just won't bite. How is everyone else doing?

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Feb 19, 2023 - 05:45 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3521

Did our bungalow trip last weekend. Same deal.

We marked lots of fish but I have no idea if any were perch. We only caught cisco and 'eyes.

PMEmail Poster
Bobby L
Posted: Feb 19, 2023 - 10:06 pm

Fry

Member No.: 18742

I've been averaging about 20 Jumbos / day in 23ft of water. They are bitting very light..

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
fisherman2280
Posted: Feb 21, 2023 - 09:33 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16918

I've had a good steady year but this weekend I had my Niece and Nephew visit and Uncle Yawns tent had a Peppe pig marathon on the go. A couple of snow forts built and a few snow ball fights.

We got skunked on Family day, I'm sure the fish knew to stay away from the racket on top of the ice but ahh it was worth it.

I'll need a few days to recover for sure.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Feb 21, 2023 - 09:37 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12683

In 2014 limit on perch was increased to 50.You could pull up dozens anywhere.My theory is low walleye numbers equals higher perch numbers and vise versa.They could also run on cycle years of highs and lows.Lake Simcoe is a good example as it always has millions of perch and almost no walleye.
Nip is known for walleye.Pockets of perch still exist but more common is to get one or 2 at a time,not the bigger schools of the past imho

PMEmail Poster
winter9
Posted: Feb 21, 2023 - 10:18 am

Egg

Member No.: 20136

Managed 15 jumbos on Saturday, released another 15 or so. Another 20 walters with 4 keepers. Biting very light, in fact if the lure was moving they wouldn't touch it. Watched them on the screen follow lures up and down the column...no bite. Let it sit still for a while, fish on! Most fish were caught by deadsticking.
Good luck,
Winter9

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Feb 21, 2023 - 05:08 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3521

QUOTE (kenster @ Feb 21, 2023 - 09:37 am)
In 2014 limit on perch was increased to 50.You could pull up dozens anywhere.My theory is low walleye numbers equals higher perch numbers and vise versa.They could also run on cycle years of highs and lows.Lake Simcoe is a good example as it always has millions of perch and almost no walleye.
Nip is known for walleye.Pockets of perch still exist but more common is to get one or 2 at a time,not the bigger schools of the past imho

Young of the year (YOY) perch are a primary prey species for YOY walleye due to the size difference in that first year.. and there's been no shortage of young walleye for at least several years.

We've also been getting crappie at the west end. But how much they compete with perch I don't really know.

PMEmail Poster
dickie
Posted: Feb 22, 2023 - 06:00 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (Northhunter @ Feb 21, 2023 - 05:08 pm)
QUOTE (kenster @ Feb 21, 2023 - 09:37 am)

Young of the year (YOY) perch are a primary prey species for YOY walleye due to the size difference in that first year.. and there's been no shortage of young walleye for at least several years.

We've also been getting crappie at the west end. But how much they compete with perch I don't really know.

We have the same problem here on Lake Erie. The walleye pop has been increasing at the pop of perch decreasing. Commercial fishing does have an impact as well.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Feb 22, 2023 - 06:03 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

For steady jumbo perch to show up on ice, I will go to Lake Simcoe for sure:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
kenster
Posted: Feb 28, 2023 - 04:13 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12683

Winter9> of course now i have to eat crow as i was out on Sunday and the Perch were biting.Light just like you said and wouldn't even look at my spoon. All caught on one line with dead minnows.They were gorging on snails which is why they seemed to prefer small non moving bait.Probably just a one off good day but l'll take it as it was a blast. :fishing

PMEmail Poster
fishing89
Posted: Mar 01, 2023 - 11:20 am

Egg

Member No.: 20054

we were up in south bay last weekend and pulled out around 16 walleyes ranging from 14-21 inches over 2 days. Missed a few flags in the process as well. Guys north of us staying in ice bungalows caught nothing lol.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Mar 01, 2023 - 04:28 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4441

That's fishing. Ice fishing is even more hit and miss. You pick a operator, you pick a weekend, and hope and pray the fish show up. And yes it's still a great time and fun is had, but a fishing trip with no fish, the big shunkaroo, is always disappointing.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!