Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> A shorter day but got some WF
Flukes
Posted: Yesterday at 11:22 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15807

Decided to go back to the new spot where we got 2 WF yesterday since it's closer to where I live and it should be walkable with my kayak to the launch site if I get a better kayak cart (although the neighbours may give me strange looks). Took a while to find some consistent marks again but there was lots of baitfish around in large patches. Once we found frequent marks, the lures went down. Didn't take long. My wife got 2 WF and I got 3 WF but we both also missed a few softer bites or maybe even side swipes (one time my lure came back with 4 WF scales). We also got one small laker each (both easily released by the side of the canoe - barely hooked). 3 of the fish had lots of small smelt in their bellies (about 1-1.5" long) - I noticed this with the fish I caught yesterday from this location so I put a Buckshot spoon on my wife's line and I also used a smaller Swedish pimple (I attached it to a weighted swivel to get it down faster). Both of her fish came on the Buckshot and one of my 3 came on the Swedish pimple. Maybe taking a break from fishing for a few days to get some work around the house done, eat some fish and wait for more calm days for some more fishing. One (descaled and gutted) of the 5 went to some friends and will drop of a bag of boneless meat to some neighbours (and older couple who likes fish but have no idea how to clean a whole fish).

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Today at 05:37 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Flukes @ Oct 20, 2024 - 11:22 pm)
Decided to go back to the new spot where we got 2 WF yesterday since it's closer to where I live and it should be walkable with my kayak to the launch site if I get a better kayak cart (although the neighbours may give me strange looks). Took a while to find some consistent marks again but there was lots of baitfish around in large patches. Once we found frequent marks, the lures went down. Didn't take long. My wife got 2 WF and I got 3 WF but we both also missed a few softer bites or maybe even side swipes (one time my lure came back with 4 WF scales). We also got one small laker each (both easily released by the side of the canoe - barely hooked). 3 of the fish had lots of small smelt in their bellies (about 1-1.5" long) - I noticed this with the fish I caught yesterday from this location so I put a Buckshot spoon on my wife's line and I also used a smaller Swedish pimple (I attached it to a weighted swivel to get it down faster). Both of her fish came on the Buckshot and one of my 3 came on the Swedish pimple. Maybe taking a break from fishing for a few days to get some work around the house done, eat some fish and wait for more calm days for some more fishing. One (descaled and gutted) of the 5 went to some friends and will drop of a bag of boneless meat to some neighbours (and older couple who likes fish but have no idea how to clean a whole fish).

Attached Image

wow, beautiful whitefish

where I fished yesterday on the lake, I couldn't find any whitefish. all I got are lakers!:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
mykola
Posted: Today at 08:07 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

Looking good. Swedish pimp and small buckshot are my second choices, but I was told they work a bit better in the fall than spring.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Today at 09:29 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 19120

You and your wife making quick work of those whitefish John!

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Today at 09:37 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Oct 21, 2024 - 05:37 am)
QUOTE (Flukes @ Oct 20, 2024 - 11:22 pm)
Decided to go back to the new spot where we got 2 WF yesterday since it's closer to where I live and it should be walkable with my kayak to the launch site if I get a better kayak cart (although the neighbours may give me strange looks).  Took a while to find some consistent marks again but there was lots of baitfish around in large patches.  Once we found frequent marks, the lures went down.  Didn't take long.  My wife got 2 WF and I got 3 WF but we both also missed a few softer bites or maybe even side swipes (one time my lure came back with 4 WF scales). We also got one small laker each (both easily released by the side of the canoe - barely hooked). 3 of the fish had lots of small smelt in their bellies (about 1-1.5" long) - I noticed this with the fish I caught yesterday from this location so I put a Buckshot spoon on my wife's line and I also used a smaller Swedish pimple (I attached it to a weighted swivel to get it down faster).  Both of her fish came on the Buckshot and one of my 3 came on the Swedish pimple. Maybe taking a break from fishing for a few days to get some work around the house done, eat some fish and wait for more calm days for some more fishing.  One (descaled and gutted) of the 5 went to some friends and will drop of a bag of boneless meat to some neighbours (and older couple who likes fish but have no idea how to clean a whole fish).

Attached Image

wow, beautiful whitefish

where I fished yesterday on the lake, I couldn't find any whitefish. all I got are lakers!:-)

I was thinking of texting you to see how you were doing and if I can "re-pay" you with a WF but then assumed you would be getting some as usual. Too bad the lakers got in the way

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Today at 09:39 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (mykola @ Oct 21, 2024 - 08:07 am)
Looking good. Swedish pimp and small buckshot are my second choices, but I was told they work a bit better in the fall than spring.

Good to know these are lures you use as well. I was taking some stuff I learned from fishing Simcoe in the past...the next thing I want to try is a smaller Williams (and marking it a bit with a green sharpie to give it a bit of a green sheen) but those spoons take forever to get down (I wonder if my weighted swivel will do the trick or if it will cause the action to change in a strange way). Haven't fished much for WF in the spring up here so hopefully will be able to learn a bit more next spring.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Today at 09:48 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Mike33 @ Oct 21, 2024 - 09:29 am)
You and your wife making quick work of those whitefish John!

On her larger fish, she let out a couple of big screams of it being "very big" (if there were any cottagers on shore, I am sure they would have heard and maybe thought we were in trouble or something). It was about a 3 lb fish (not really that large for WF but a good one for this lake as far as we can tell so far - so maybe it put up more of a fight than the other fish?). Fun to watch her hook and fight the fish (epic battles). She was not too confident she was going to catch any WF after the first few trips since she was watching me catch fish and wasn't getting bites but a little coaching and after the first one, the confidence is right there now (maybe I need to start shutting up or I maybe reporting only her catches - we know how occasional fisher spouses often out fish and can "wreck" the fishing for us ). Just kiddin of course. Love that I can get the family out there and watch her catch fish (which means I am out there). In a few years, maybe my little guy will be reeling in his first laker or WF (right now, he is only reeling in his blue rubber stopper fish on his cartoon-character licensed fishing pole...and while we are trying to jig up some fish too (I'm sure it's a funny sight to see if anyone around was watching us).

PMEmail Poster
dmaster
Posted: Today at 11:33 am

Fry

Member No.: 7601

Good job, John!
Curious: what size of buckshot and what colors you guys were using?
Nick, what would you advice about the same?

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Today at 11:40 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Wow, nice fish. Also nice of you to share. Best part was your son with his cartoon character fishing pole. Good job mom and dad. Don't forget about the minnow trapping and the worm digging.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!