» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Crappie help, Post trip update
Icemanjay
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 - 07:06 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 13620

A couple of dinner guests

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 - 07:08 pm

Trophy Trout

Snow..

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 - 07:09 pm

Trophy Trout

Looking forward to next time

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 - 07:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Very nice. That's a lot of snow wow. Those two in the pail look fat and a bigger than 12 inches, awesome crappie fishing. So glad you got the fish and had lots of action. You won't forget that spot anytime soon.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 - 07:35 pm

Trophy Trout

No I won’t forget for sure! And thanks again! I’ll tell you, we were messing around with different sized minnows cause we had them anyways, trying to get stuff on bottom to wake up, but as soon as a big minnow went down the hole it would get annihilated! They were even cruising in a few feet off bottom like you said. It got to the point I knew it was a crappie just from seeing it fly in on the flasher. One thing I forgot to add, at one point I went outside for a couple of mins and came in to find my rod almost down the hole, my reel was hooked on the ice, it ripped it right out on my rod holder. I grabbed it and felt the fish on, it was big whatever it was but I lost it. Hopefully we’ll get him next time.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 - 07:57 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Icemanjay @ Feb 19, 2024 - 07:35 pm)
No I won’t forget for sure! And thanks again! I’ll tell you, we were messing around with different sized minnows cause we had them anyways, trying to get stuff on bottom to wake up, but as soon as a big minnow went down the hole it would get annihilated! They were even cruising in a few feet off bottom like you said. It got to the point I knew it was a crappie just from seeing it fly in on the flasher. One thing I forgot to add, at one point I went outside for a couple of mins and came in to find my rod almost down the hole, my reel was hooked on the ice, it ripped it right out on my rod holder. I grabbed it and felt the fish on, it was big whatever it was but I lost it. Hopefully we’ll get him next time.

You are most welcome, anytime. Lucky you did not lose your rod. Big crappie are powerful fish. That was your trophy PB that got away. You will get it next time.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 - 09:00 pm

World Record Trout

Don't forget what Disco said. Extra pre-drilled holes is excellent advice.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 - 09:19 pm

Trophy Trout

Yes we did this too and he was right, I had that shoal totally mapped out with lots of options. Just so happened they seemed to like the deep part as you guys were saying. Glad we got lucky picking our tent spot because once the storm hit the tip ups/ exploration were a no go! Well, for us anyway, although I don’t think anyone would want to bother with that weather. And we were busy enough with the fishing in the tent. I did try some small plastics that resembled worms/insects with some success but the minnows were the ticket this time. I think last time out the plastics and minnows both brought success. I guess I’m in the club looking for that elusive giant crappie now too!

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Feb 19, 2024 - 09:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Congrats Icemanjay....you worked hard at it and were rewarded.....with the assistance of Jamie and Disco....good on you two for all the great/crapie advice, and thats why I love this board, a perfect example of the members that live here.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Icemanjay
Posted: Feb 20, 2024 - 10:04 am

Trophy Trout

Thanks Arnie! I’m glad I’ve been able to make some contributions lately. Without getting into too much detail I’ve had a pretty rough go the last couple of years due to the fact that I lost my two best friends. It’s nice to be back at it, and to have helpful folks to share tips and ideas.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Feb 20, 2024 - 09:05 pm

World Record Trout

You have some fishing friends here. Some great people on this Fishing Forum.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Feb 20, 2024 - 10:16 pm

Trophy Trout

Thank you crappeeeman much appreciated.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Feb 21, 2024 - 06:45 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

A great report and story…I’m glad your prep work and the advice from the knowledgeable people here worked out for you.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Feb 23, 2024 - 08:50 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

Congrats. I love a great ending.

This community here is awesome. So much knowledge and help available. Personally I have learned much from some other members so I am happy to pass along what I know. Knowledge passed down is the only knowledge with value. If you never pass it on it dies.

Also YUM YUM YUM! I haven’t got out for crappy this winter.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Feb 23, 2024 - 12:28 pm

Trophy Trout

Some great words and I agree. I’ll always try to help where I can!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!