Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Rosseau Report, Last hurrah for the season
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 09:12 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7520

Fished the south end of the lake today. Weather was gorgeous and, given the crazy, spring-like weather we've had, we were pleasantly surprised with the ice conditions: 8" total with 1 1/2" white ice on top, 6 1/2" degrading black ice below. Surface was covered with about 2 cm snow. The ice was definitely "safe" although three narrow cracks did open up during the day.

Fishing was slow but we did ice 8 small lakers between the two of us. We were, of course, hoping for more of a flourish to end our season but, what the heck, we were out and we caught fish.

Overall, the season, albeit short, was positive despite the smaller than average weight of fish iced. Given the warm temperatures in the 14 day forecast, it will be interesting to see how much longer the ice can last. Be safe out there if you venture out.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 09:52 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15807

Glad to see you guys got out and did pretty well for numbers. I did as well and found about the same conditions where I went. Gorgeous day (just wished it was much colder to keep the ice longer) and for sure the ice was making alot of noise out there today. Lost one (likely whitefish) - line broke on the leader (thought I had changed the leaders on all rods before the start of the season but this one still had an old leader after examining it more closely) and the pricey vibrato with it. But ended the day with a 17" laker just before I had to leave. Maybe one more short day tomorrow morning before calling it the season. Good luck to you guys if you are able to get out again.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 10:06 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 19120

Thanks for the report! I was out from 5-7pm today on a lake in the Minden area and found very similar conditions. About 4” of black ice with 5” of mixed above that. Couldn’t ask for better walking conditions. Glad to hear you were able to land some fish.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 10:14 pm

Trophy Trout

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 10:23 pm

Trophy Trout

Nice that you were able to get out today as well.

Yes, it was noisy for a while out there today and, when one crack opened up, it sent a tremor across the ice; now, that was an interesting sensation!

I'm pretty sure today was a wrap; such a short season -- only 6 outings this "winter" starting January 25. Have fun if you manage to get out tomorrow!

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Mar 02, 2024 - 06:32 am

Trophy Trout

Still looked like winter when we arrived.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Mar 02, 2024 - 06:33 am

Trophy Trout

Ice, March 1.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: Mar 03, 2024 - 04:51 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3419

Always fun to get thanks for the report

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!