Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fishing In/Near Marked Channel?
Flatfish1
Posted: Jun 10, 2024 - 10:18 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 20466

I'm heading to Upper Buckhorn Lake for a fishing trip. First time fishing in this kind of waterway. Is fishing allowed in or near the marked channel areas? Should the marked channel generally be avoided when fishing?

PMEmail Poster
Fozzy47
Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 06:54 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 18006

i'm not aware of any restrictions to fishing in a marked navigation channel.
Question, why would you want to be tossed around by the wake of boat whizzin, especially when you're trying to fish?
IMHO, it would be the least desirable place I would want to fish.
I know on some lake, especially in the Kawarthas, the 'channel; provides a deeper water to fish in, but those waves continually rocking the boat would drive me nuts!. Note to self... fish like weeds...lol.

Cheers,

PMEmail Poster
streeker02
Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 08:30 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2910

brother. the channel in upper buckhorn (especially from the lock 31 through to the narrows) is a busy as the 401 in rush hour, you don't want or need to fish in the channel. I can't speak to the legality but you won't enjoy it nontheless

there is alot of fishable water in upper buck that does not involve fishing in the channel.

PMEmail Poster
mastercaster1
Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 08:42 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11395

As far as I know there is no restrictions in regards to doing anything in or near marked channels except for speed imits if posted. However, as mentioned above the question is whether or not it's a good idea? I am assuming you may be thinking of the narrows between Buckhorn and Pigeon which as far as I know is fine to fish in.

MC

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 10:43 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

Two areas of interest...

When fishing a bouy marked channel..a navitable waterway.can you cast your line across and fish same , have boated through these channels to have shore fishermen shouting and swearing at you ..my take is the boater has the right of way...your thoughts ...

second.. Never tie up to a channel marker !!!..Back a few years ago we were fishing owen sound ,the wind and waves made it impossible to get the anchor to hold , my buddy tied up to one of the bouys to hold us while fishing..MISTAKE.!!poor timing , along came the coast guard boat, hailed us , into harbor written up for tying up to marker...paid fine and learned a lesson ..pass it on guys ...

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman7
Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 10:51 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12145

I live on Upper Buckhorn and please don't anchor and fish in the middle of a channel, nor get mad at boats that go through on plane. If you want, anchor outside the channel and cast into it but there is so much water why go through the aggravation?

PMEmail Poster
Flatfish1
Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 11:00 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 20466

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's clear that I am new to this lake and the Trent-Severn Waterway in general. Once there, I am sure it will become much more obvious to me that the channel is an area to avoid for fishing. It's good to know that there are many other, more desirable areas to fish. I can see now that I am over-preparing. Thanks for giving me a picture of what to expect.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Jun 11, 2024 - 01:05 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

The most annoying thing I encounter is in the Waubaushene channel. Fisherman are so concentrated around the two bridge structures that you cant navigate the water. Why in the world would you want to fish in tight areas and invite a possible accident or even worse boat rage. Why do you risk your line being run over or giving someone else the inconvenience of dodging your line. It is only posted as a no wake area. I am not aware of any laws.....I thought there was one, If someone can show me the law if there is one.....please post it.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
streeker02
Posted: Jun 12, 2024 - 11:12 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2910

you're talking about gannon's narrows. good spot and alot of good water that is not in the channel.

I was referring to "buckhorn narrows" which is up at the top not far from the lock. its a gong show and wouldn't want to try to fish the channel in that area.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!