Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Kawarthas advice needed
stocco75
Posted: Jul 18, 2024 - 11:07 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 20458

I’m 77 and live in Niagara. I’ve never had a chance before to take my son on any kind of fishing trip, but On the week of Sept. 2nd I want to take him for a 2-3 day Kawarthas fishing trip for pickerel, but know nothing about those lakes.
I’m looking for advice on which lake would give us the best chance for pickerel at that time of year. I have heard good things about Balsam Lake, but don’t know if that would be our best bet. I really need some guidance from people who fish these lakes on a lake choice.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jul 18, 2024 - 03:25 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Six weeks until your father and son fishing adventure. Too soon to look at the weather. At least you will be ahead of the howling fall winds that start around the middle of September. If it is windy when you go, Sturgeon is more forgiving than Balsam with a west wind if you fish from Lindsay to Fenelon falls areas. This is the west side of Sturgeon, where most of my walleye and crappie fishing is done. What time of day do you plan on fishing? Also, how late do you plan on staying out? A couple more questions for you. Are you trolling, casting lures, bobbers and jigs, or live bait. Sorry for all the questions, but we may as well get them out of the way now. I am all about the details. Then you and your son can catch the fish. Sturgeon and Balsam are my two favorite lakes to fish, anywhere. Anything I can do to assist, would be my pleasure.

PMEmail Poster
stocco75
Posted: Jul 18, 2024 - 03:41 pm

Fry

I’m used to Lake Erie style fishing - trolling body baits and worm harnesses, but am willing to try other techniques if they work better in those lakes. I dont mind using jigs and plastics at all if they work better.
Our day’s duration for fishing will depend a lot on the local weather at the time, but we tend to like early morning runs. Probably do morning, then back out later in the late afternoon.

This post has been edited by stocco75 on Jul 18, 2024 - 04:30 pm

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jul 18, 2024 - 05:08 pm

World Record Trout

Yes those will work just fine. You might want to bring a couple crankbaits and jerkbaits that will go down 4 to 6 feet. Depending on how high the weeds are, I will find out before you guys go. I troll these in 8, 9, 10 to 12 feet of water, following the weed line north and south with a west wind.They run just above the weeds. I will get back to you later, I am trying to make dinner, and doing laundry.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jul 18, 2024 - 08:10 pm

World Record Trout

If you like early morning and late afternoon, it's always a good idea to throw some deeper jerkbaits right down in the weeds. I do use plastics, but only at night. And
pretty much only 2 inch Jokers on a pink jighead. Walleye are at least three times more aggressive through the night. Bigger plastic like your swim baits are much better in the early morning and late afternoon. I am sure a certain forum member or members will jump in with some great bait tips for Sturgeon. I will be up there around the same time you and your son are going. I could pass on more information then. Or before, if I can get away. I am usually up there a lot, but school is keeping me away this summer. Lots of good tips from some members coming your way.

PMEmail Poster
Woodfarmer
Posted: Jul 18, 2024 - 08:52 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 19144

shad raps, balsam lake Pickerel love trolled shad raps in the evening.

Jigging black mister twister and hair jigs along the edge of the weed beds works well too.
You’ll also run into Pike now days so I’d recommend a flourocarbon leader.

Large and small mouths are common as well.

PMEmail Poster
stocco75
Posted: Jul 26, 2024 - 10:37 am

Fry

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice given.
I’ve decided to try Balsam Lake, and have booked 3 nights with Shorelea Cottages.
Looking forward to the lake.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jul 26, 2024 - 08:15 pm

World Record Trout

I fish the middle to north east side of Balsam. Watch out for Grand rock, north tip of Grand island. Sticks right out of the water, and has damaged many boats. There is a few rocks that will jump out at you on Balsam. A marine chart for any lake saves money.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
flexkk
Posted: Jul 30, 2024 - 12:07 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13479

September is always a nice time to fish. Depending on how much the water cools will play a part in how the fishing is. Usually by late august early September i find the walleye and smallmouth mixed in on rock flats between weed edges next to deeper water , i park the boat on the drop off and cast towards the shallows 8 to 10 ft running a deeper diving crank bait or swimbait on an underspin jig. This is usually more productive in the evening until dark. Also i use a worm harness with a plastic worm(or perch and bluegill will keep you busy rebaiting) weighted with enough split shot to get down just into the cabbage weeds 10 to 12ish feet. Slow retrieve through any cabbage weedbed in this depth range morning till night but work it slow i find is best getting down into the weeds a bit. Also a slip bobber with leech or worm works good on the weed edges.

PMEmail Poster
Sofabed
Posted: Aug 12, 2024 - 06:24 pm

Fry

Member No.: 4160

Walleye have been very active on Pigeon this year. One of the best baits is the Erie Dearie with a plastic or piece of worm casting and drifting

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!