» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Targeting Suspended Walleye Part 2
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 28, 2024 - 09:37 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9792

Got back out to the lake this past sunday to target some more suspended walleye, this time I made sure to capture the livescope footage! The full video can be found through the link below! Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/h031Op9a1hY?si=ViP_1wHj2VBJlZhu[/YOUTUBE]

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Aug 28, 2024 - 12:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

super cool watching how they react on the livescope

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 28, 2024 - 01:33 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Longshank @ Aug 28, 2024 - 01:26 pm)
super cool watching how they react on the livescope

It really is amazing, notice in one of the clips how the walleye dips RIGHT to the depth of the thermocline under my hyper rattle almost as if its trying to prevent its “target” from retreating to depths below the thermocline. So often I have seen walleye absolutely quit chasing downwards EXACTLY at the start of the thermocline, it really is like a wall giving ciscoes a safe haven to retreat to.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Aug 28, 2024 - 03:18 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

That's what I like to see, getting out and enjoying a day of fishing. Very nice fish, but my favourite part was right at the 12:30 minute mark when you said, "interesting". It's funny how when the walleye are hungry, there is always that one that just turns and swims away. I don't know how many times a big walleye has hit my bait with a head butt, and then swam away. I could have 10 or 20 landed, but there is always one that is a little smarter than the rest. Nothing makes me happier than remembering the one than got away, and looking forward to catching it the next time out.

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Aug 28, 2024 - 06:07 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

Great video!!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
longfish
Posted: Aug 28, 2024 - 06:11 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Fun to watch.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 28, 2024 - 06:35 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (crappeeeman @ Aug 28, 2024 - 04:18 pm)
That's what I like to see, getting out and enjoying a day of fishing. Very nice fish, but my favourite part was right at the 12:30 minute mark when you said, "interesting". It's funny how when the walleye are hungry, there is always that one that just turns and swims away. I don't know how many times a big walleye has hit my bait with a head butt, and then swam away. I could have 10 or 20 landed, but there is always one that is a little smarter than the rest. Nothing makes me happier than remembering the one than got away, and looking forward to catching it the next time out.

Hahaha right!! The way that fish was reacting at first had me thinking she’d end up in the boat but NOPE! And words very well said!

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 28, 2024 - 06:35 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (sparky302 @ Aug 28, 2024 - 07:07 pm)
Great video!!

Thank you sparky!

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 28, 2024 - 06:36 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (longfish @ Aug 28, 2024 - 07:11 pm)
Fun to watch.

Thanks longfish, I am glad you liked it!

PMEmail Poster
petersaban
Posted: Aug 29, 2024 - 05:33 am

Fry

Member No.: 2730

What a great video! Man that looks like too much fun.

I've learned so much this summer running Livescope for Erie eyes. I can almost predict which fish will bite just by the speed they swim to the bait. Also surprising how majority of the fish will just slowly swim right pass the bait without even reacting.

Plastics and jigging rap type baits have been working for me, but the number 1 producer have been blade baits.

Anyway...keep the videos coming, they are excellent

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 29, 2024 - 08:03 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (petersaban @ Aug 29, 2024 - 06:33 am)
What a great video! Man that looks like too much fun.

I've learned so much this summer running Livescope for Erie eyes. I can almost predict which fish will bite just by the speed they swim to the bait. Also surprising how majority of the fish will just slowly swim right pass the bait without even reacting.

Plastics and jigging rap type baits have been working for me, but the number 1 producer have been blade baits.

Anyway...keep the videos coming, they are excellent

Yep there are so many little nuances you pick up when using livescope, like being able to tell which direction the fishes head is facing, which direction they are swimming in etc. Its funny you bring up blade baits because I actually tied one on this trip but never managed to have one commit, to be fair I only tried it on 2 fish so maybe those just werent aggressive at all. I figured if I can catch lake trout consistently on a vibrato I should be able to catch walleye acting the same way as a lake trout!! I will have to give them another try as well as some other ideas I have and want to try, I am glad you enjoyed the video!!!!

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 29, 2024 - 09:48 am

Smolt Trout

For those that watched the video and arent as familiar with livescope, I would love to get your feedback on what you thought of the livescope footage overlay, did you struggle in terms of knowing where to look? Did you have trouble trying to understand what you were looking at or for? I was debating on including small cues to point out to the viewer where the fish are and where my bait is falling but wasnt sure if something like that was needed. Any feedback would be great!! This will help make the future videos even better!

PMEmail Poster
iplaay
Posted: Aug 29, 2024 - 11:20 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14305

Neat how you overlaid the live scope over your video. That makes if fun to watch.

Can't believe how fast you get the fish to the net after hook up. Those fish over 25" take me minutes to land. You do it in seconds and it doesn't seem to me as if it was edited.

Looking forward to more videos.

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 29, 2024 - 11:48 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (iplaay @ Aug 29, 2024 - 12:20 pm)
Neat how you overlaid the live scope over your video. That makes if fun to watch.

Can't believe how fast you get the fish to the net after hook up. Those fish over 25" take me minutes to land. You do it in seconds and it doesn't seem to me as if it was edited.

Looking forward to more videos.

Im glad the overlaying turned out okay! And yes the fish get in the boat QUICK! Its always alot more fun to baby a fish, let it run, have some fun, but doing this gives them more opportunity to get off. Giving them a good hookset to get those hooks through their bony mouths is crucial, and once thats done they are not getting off UNLESS you give them the chance. If you watch the NWT alot of the time guys get fish even bigger than this in the boat just as quick! With single hooks especially there should be no worry of the fish popping off if you really keep that tension, but obviously only take it as far as your equipment can handle, in these clips I am using 12 fluorocarbon leader with 12lb braid so snapping off isnt a concern!

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 29, 2024 - 11:54 am

Smolt Trout

I will also add, upsizing the treble hooks on your glide baits and adding a split ring is a very common practice in the tournament scene, and with a glide bait you DEFINITELY want to bring the fish in as fast as you realistically can because as soon as that fish starts to fight you and thrash it can throw that heavy glide bait and you will lose it, so ALWAYS keep good pressure on them. You also want to get it in the net as soon as it surfaces so it has no chance at throwing that heavy bait, this is when the fish has the best chance at popping off.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!