Outdoors Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> black squirells in attic
plott hound
Posted: Jun 05, 2024 - 08:22 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12333

over the years i have dispatched many species of animals in many different ways.ive got 2 tree rats that decided to make a home in the attic.little peckers tore some soffit down and in they go.i cant for the life of me catch the little buggers.they are trap smart and will not go into the live traps and shy away from the giant rat traps.shooting them is really not an option here anymore,way to many people.dont want to get myself into trouble.last year they were jumping from our large cedar tree onto the roof,i took half the tree down and that solved the problem untill now.these two can span the distance like rocky the flying squirell.looking for advice with these guys please help. im ready to cut the rest of tree down. thanks

PMEmail Poster
Jesse
Posted: Jun 05, 2024 - 09:22 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16608

Try a victor rat trap and peanut butter then fix your soffit keep them from getting in in the first place

PMEmail Poster
plott hound
Posted: Jun 05, 2024 - 11:12 am

Smolt Trout

ive got two of the victor rat traps smeared in peanut butter screwed to the tree but the tree rats are wary of them.will fix soffit again after i get rid of these vermin.might have to bust out the 110 conibear.

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Jun 05, 2024 - 03:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

Beware if they have young in the attic and you seal it up, nothing will keep them out. Your soffits your stink pipe vents they will destroy to get the young. If you are successful at capturing them and the young are left behind you will be the first to know when they died. Since they are wise to peanut butter and snap traps Use a small hav-a-hart live trap, squirrels love corn on the cob, walnuts, acorns and peanut butter. Dig it in a little bit in the insulation just enough so they don't feel the wire cage. All this must be done in the attic not outside. Go grab yourself some corn on the cob, cook it with the husk on, eat 90% of it and use the cob, 10% corn and husk as bait.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jun 05, 2024 - 07:11 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

I used moth balls to stink out a groundhog from underneath my shed a long time ago,

PMEmail Poster
IFIDA
Posted: Jun 06, 2024 - 06:50 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9262

google A 18 squirrel trap, i got one a couple years ago & it keeps the population in check..

PMEmail Poster
plott hound
Posted: Jun 06, 2024 - 08:44 am

Smolt Trout

thanks for all the suggestions.i cant beleive these little peckers are getting the better of me.the part of the attic they are in is an addition with no attic access. i will try the mothballs in the soffit and maybe my tube trap on the roof.i looked at the a 18 trap last year and should have bought one but cheaped out.i just ordered one now to add to my arsenal of traps,i hope it works well.man i miss the days when you could just crack a window open and dispatch them. thanks again

PMEmail Poster
plott hound
Posted: Jun 06, 2024 - 08:46 am

Smolt Trout

IFIDA where did you mount the A 18 trap? near your house? thanks

PMEmail Poster
IFIDA
Posted: Jun 06, 2024 - 09:18 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9262

mounted on my wood fence behind my shed ( out of sight ) just bait with peanut butter seems to work, the nice thing about the hit counter is you just check it to see if any action, they get thumped hard & fall to the ground then the neighbors cat or the red fox ( who ever gets there first ) take them away never had to pick one up yet.the neighbor tells me all about his great hunter cat that is always catching squirrels & chipys & bringing them home..

PMEmail Poster
plott hound
Posted: Jun 06, 2024 - 12:11 pm

Smolt Trout

Thanks for that info. Tell ya what, the victor rat traps are real hard on the chippy population. Will keep you posted. Cheers

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Jun 06, 2024 - 01:12 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

Plotthound, if your using moth balls put them into a nylon or thin sock for easy removal, otherwise you will have to smell them for a long time. I would also say every failed attempt is a lesson learned, unfortunately it's the squirrel that's getting educated. Perhaps that is why they won't go near your snap traps with peanut butter.

PMEmail Poster
Bryonfromtilly
Posted: Jun 07, 2024 - 06:03 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 17562

I've caught squirrels and chipmunks in the 5 gal pale trick

PMEmail Poster
plott hound
Posted: Jun 07, 2024 - 07:34 am

Smolt Trout

for sure mydogbites,im thinking these guys have been relocated to my hood and are trap smart.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jun 08, 2024 - 12:32 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

I understand that hot peppers is a good deterrent for many animals-----Habanero, Scotch Bonnet for e.g.

PMEmail Poster
plott hound
Posted: Jun 10, 2024 - 02:14 pm

Smolt Trout

IFIDA I received the A18 today, have not mounted it yet. Do you have any trouble with coons or possums messing with it?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3