Outdoors Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Post a Picture of your Boat, Let see your boats!
wily71
  Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 07:05 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 290

my 14' princecraft is out of date and out of debt

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Mike D
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 08:18 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 1774

QUOTE (Ssaaacckk @ January 03, 2013 - 09:28 pm)
I was looking at a 16 foot legend with a 20hp . Might buy brand new or used if i can. I am guessing the 16 footer with the 20hp is a bit small. I love bass fishing. I wonder if i can get away with this choice and pick my days like a few of you said.

I just don't want to spend more then 6-7 grand on a boat/motor/trailer.

BTW, all your boats are reaaall nice. Cool to see!

I think a 20hp on a 16 is a bit underpowered. I wouldn't go new for a first boat. I got mine this spring for just under 7 grand, minus the electric motor. Also be careful with the older welded hull aluminum's, do a bit of research and ask questions

PMEmail Poster
FSHN FRK
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 09:01 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 952

Here's my "other woman". 16' Legend Excalibur, 60hp 4 stroke,electric trolling motor. Bought her brand new, and the wife says it better look that way forever. Lol
Love it!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Cheers!

PMEmail Poster
Sea Bass
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 09:57 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 1792

Made that quickly

Boat

PMEmail Poster
Willhound
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 10:07 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 635

QUOTE (Ssaaacckk @ January 03, 2013 - 10:35 pm)
WILLHOUND,

You said you purchased your boat brand new . I am just wondering where you bought it... Around Barrie at all??? Nice looking boat. Beauuty

Yes, it was bought at Sandy Cove Marine, about a month before they went belly up.
It was a leftover 2010 bought in 2011, paid about dealer cost with taxes and everything in. Only reason I bought new. Cash deal.

Interestingly, same model with minor changes is available now as a Starcraft. Starcraft, Sylvan and Smokercraft are all essentially the same company. For 2013 Sylvan will build the pontoon models only and the fishing boat line has moved to Starcraft. Same boat, different paint job.

I have had zero problems since I bought it and it has never been back to the dealer since it left the lot. I should add, Sandy Cove is re-opened at their older location on 25th Sideroad in Alcona as a used dealer and repair shop, but I would not put it past Scott and the gang there becoming a new dealer again, if in fact they want the hassle.

PM
fish hawk
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 10:25 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 374

As we know Lake Simcoe , how fast it can turn around, ( from calm to rough water) I would not recommend anything less than 16 ft boat. And if you can afford the deep V hulls ( either riveted or welded hull) you should buy those as they will keep you DRY!

The outboard motors have a very large selection, BUT whatever you choose remember one very IMPORTANT thing: If you want good performance you must not underpower your boat!!!! You have to find out what is the manufacturer's maximum HP rating of that boat you want to buy, and your motor must have at least 75% HP of that rating!!! For example the boat is rated maximum 100 HP , then your motor should be no less than 75 HP!! Dealers like to sell a "package deal" with lower HP motors so they can sell it cheaper, BUT you will not have the performance what you are looking for and needed, you will not be happy with your boat and later you will have to upgrade your motor and you end up paying much more money.

I got Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk ( welded hull) and Yamaha 100 HP 4 stroke outboard , no problem with them in the last 10 yeras.

PMEmail Poster
Mike D
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 12:03 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 1774

QUOTE (fish hawk @ January 04, 2013 - 10:25 am)
As we know Lake Simcoe , how fast it can turn around, ( from calm to rough water) I would not recommend anything less than 16 ft boat. And if you can afford the deep V hulls ( either riveted or welded hull) you should buy those as they will keep you DRY!

The outboard motors have a very large selection, BUT whatever you choose remember one very IMPORTANT thing: If you want good performance you must not underpower your boat!!!! You have to find out what is the manufacturer's maximum HP rating of that boat you want to buy, and your motor must have at least 75% HP of that rating!!! For example the boat is rated maximum 100 HP , then your motor should be no less than 75 HP!! Dealers like to sell a "package deal" with lower HP motors so they can sell it cheaper, BUT you will not have the performance what you are looking for and needed, you will not be happy with your boat and later you will have to upgrade your motor and you end up paying much more money.

I got Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk ( welded hull) and Yamaha 100 HP 4 stroke outboard , no problem with them in the last 10 yeras.

I agree I bough my boat from the original owner and it came with a 60hp motor. He upgraded to a 75hp not long after. It is rated for a 115 which I think is stupid for a fairly light 17 foot! But I would love a 90

PMEmail Poster
lundman
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 12:13 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1695

QUOTE (fish hawk @ January 04, 2013 - 10:25 am)

Agree totally!......My last boat was a 18 foot Lund with a 115 Opti. In 2010 i upgraded and bought new from the boat show. Shopped around and got a great deal. Am currently running a 21 foot Lund Pro V with a 250 Pro XS. Wide beam and more then enough power to get you out of nasty situations when needed.I also added a 9.9 Kicker as a back up. No matter the situation.......always have a backup! Pictures to be added when i get to work.......After i get some help from Admin.
Cheers Chris

PMEmail Poster
krae
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 12:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 221

This was my first boat, geared up and ready for Bass opener last year. I originally bought it for fishin the Niagara River and whatever else the rest of the season. Well I ended up never fishing the Niagara with it.. I did nothing but walleye for a year and then eventually Bass took over! It was a 2003 Crestliner Fishawk 1750 with a 90 on the back. She handled Simcoe VERY well. There were a few times the lake threw some large waves at me out of the blue, and that boat was fantastic.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
krae
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 12:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 221

And this in my new toy! Just traded in the Crestliner in October for this! 2006 Triton TR186 with a 150 merc. She's a foot longer and a lot faster... Got caught out in Georgian Bay in some of the worst waves I've ever had to deal with... She proved herself to me... If she can handle that, she can handle Simcoe!!! Can't wait for opener!!!!!!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
bennybear
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 01:27 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 2415

This is my rig, multi species rig at it's finest, Javelin 21MSX, 175hp Johnson, 9.9hp Mariner kicker, 72lb Minn Kota.

Attached Image

PM
backwoodsmanbob
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 01:30 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 98

nice boats guys.

PMEmail Poster
npetersen
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 01:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 337

Here I am by our boat in the Thousand Islands when it was new in 2008. It could handle Simcoe but we haven't fish it too much. Mainly the Thousand Islands, Sturgeon Lake and lower Niagara. I'm glad we upgraded from what we were originally going to get and have been happy with it ever since. 17.6 ft Legend with 90 hp 4-stroke. It is used almost every weekend from April to mid November.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
wily71
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 02:24 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 290

out of date out of debt had a rejuvinaition this yr this is it in may

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
codyboy
Posted: Jan 04, 2013 - 02:53 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 526

QUOTE (npetersen @ January 04, 2013 - 01:36 pm)
Here I am by our boat in the Thousand Islands when it was new in 2008. It could handle Simcoe but we haven't fish it too much. Mainly the Thousand Islands, Sturgeon Lake and lower Niagara. I'm glad we upgraded from what we were originally going to get and have been happy with it ever since. 17.6 ft Legend with 90 hp 4-stroke. It is used almost every weekend from April to mid November.

And is that Bayliner behind yours??

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3