» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search

Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> White Perch or White Bass?
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 08:15 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Caught these a few years ago. I thought they were White Perch, but not sure now. I thought White Bass have like a faint purple hue on the underside fins, from the ones I caught in the past. These had no purple hue.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 08:17 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Closer pic. sorry images are not that clear

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 08:21 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Jun 22, 2024 - 08:45 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10648

Now that's interesting.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Fossil Fish
Posted: Jun 23, 2024 - 05:45 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4236

You answered your own question, but 100% white perch. Perch have that very obvious lateral line and really nothing else resembling a stripe. White bass are also considerably larger. According to the ROM book, an average size white bass in Ontario (11") would be near the record white perch size for the province (11.4"). White perch average just over 6".

PMEmail Poster
Toolman13
Posted: Jun 23, 2024 - 05:53 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6735

White perch, that's cool. I would have just guessed that they were silver bass. Thanks for sharing that, learning something new.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jun 23, 2024 - 06:27 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

QUOTE (Fossil Fish @ Jun 23, 2024 - 05:45 am)
You answered your own question, but 100% white perch. Perch have that very obvious lateral line and really nothing else resembling a stripe. White bass are also considerably larger. According to the ROM book, an average size white bass in Ontario (11") would be near the record white perch size for the province (11.4"). White perch average just over 6".

Thank-you for the confirmation.

These three were the first and only white perch I ever caught.

So I can tick that species off my list.

PMEmail Poster
Paddy
Posted: Jun 24, 2024 - 07:40 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4885

Yes, 100% white perch.

Where did you get your information on average size and record white perch? What is the ROM Book?

I fish the eastern side of Georgian Bay in the fall every year and the white perch are annoying while we're walleye fishing. We catch a ton of them and they are all 9 to 12". The record cannot be 11.4"

12" white perch are common in the great lakes.

PMEmail Poster
Fossil Fish
Posted: Jun 24, 2024 - 08:15 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4236

QUOTE (Paddy @ Jun 24, 2024 - 07:40 am)

Yes, 100% white perch.

Where did you get your information on average size and record white perch? What is the ROM Book?

I fish the eastern side of Georgian Bay in the fall every year and the white perch are annoying while we're walleye fishing. We catch a ton of them and they are all 9 to 12". The record cannot be 11.4"

12" white perch are common in the great lakes.

The ROM Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of Ontario is the book. There is a new revised edition out which I don't have (yet) so some things may be updated.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Jun 24, 2024 - 02:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

boy they are so close, comparing my post of Fathers day and these you can see mine has more lateral lines so white bass for mine and white perch for yours. Neither of these look like silver bass. But I have always called mine white perch but have changed my saying now.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 25, 2024 - 07:45 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Jun 24, 2024 - 02:14 pm)
boy they are so close, comparing my post of Fathers day and these you can see mine has more lateral lines so white bass for mine and white perch for yours. Neither of these look like silver bass. But I have always called mine white perch but have changed my saying now.

White Bass and Silver Bass are the same species. Silver Bass is a common nickname.

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jun 25, 2024 - 09:20 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16889

I think the fuss here is about White perch (Morone Amerivana) Vs White Bass (Morone Chrysops). According to Wiki they are different species.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_bass
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_perch
But my guess is that they are rather subspecies with numbers of intermediate forms in local areas and may interbreed as well.
But that’s not what I would firmly stand for.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 26, 2024 - 08:11 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

Yes white perch and silver bass are a different species. They may be related in the same genius but they are a different species. Same as walleye and perch are in the same family but are different species. ??

PMEmail Poster
amateur
Posted: Jun 26, 2024 - 10:36 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 17043

IMO this is Rudd. Invading Species from Europe. lots of them in Hamilton area

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jun 26, 2024 - 01:06 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16889

Well, Walleye and Perch belong to the same Family but to the different Genus.
Walleye: Family:Percidae, Genus:Sander, Species: S. vitreus
Yellow Perch: Family: Percidae, Genus:Perca, Species: P. flavescens
I don’t know much (or rather anything) about White Perch Vs White Bass but I do know that for Cisco it is sometimes very difficult to determine what exact species the particular specimen belongs to.
For example Wiki article for Cisco indicates 6 presently living species of cisco in Great Lakes but also mentions that:
Usually, several taxa of ciscoes are found in a single lake. They exhibit different habitat distributions, feeding and breeding habits and morphological adaptations e.g. in their gill raker numbers. In the Great Lakes, at least five ciscoes coexist.[3]
According to genetic analyses, these cisco types do not represent unique, separate evolutionary lineages, but similar cisco morphs have evolved and attained their specific characteristics largely independently in each lake. Therefore, it has been suggested that they should not be recognized formally as distinct taxa, but all considered members of a single species, Coregonus artedi (sensu lato)] or Coregonus artedi complex.

Again I have no idea about White Perch vs White Bass but suspect that situation might be similar. Or not so…

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!