DIY Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The homemade snowdog, Thanks to Swampy
Team Rapo
Posted: Dec 28, 2018 - 08:37 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 5705

FISH

Attached Image

PM
longfish
Posted: Dec 28, 2018 - 08:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

You guys have a good talent....admiring your work,

PMEmail PosterYahoo
jam1324
Posted: Dec 29, 2018 - 07:11 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 16371

Just got back from my second trip out on the ice both were targetting crappie. Today we had a few bites and caught 1 12 inch northern pike but still no crappie. It's our me and my sons first year fishing and we have no idea where any actually are so we are systematically going through different lakes all around Port Severn, from Collingwood. Nice to see someone is catching them!

PMEmail Poster
Team Rapo
Posted: Dec 30, 2018 - 06:41 pm

Lunker Trout

A couple videos from playing around on glare ice. Drives straight well,
Sharp turns throw you into a sweet whip.
Reminded me of tubing on he soft water

https://youtu.be/umhaK_QMmm0
https://youtu.be/6licwFGVF-4

PM
Fisherman
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 04:54 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

Well I finally got an answer back from MTO the ones that make the rules and it was as I suspected:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the use of Snow Dogs in Ontario.

Based on our current assessment, we have determined that the Snow Dog does not meet the classification requirements of an off-road vehicle (ORV) or motorized snow vehicle (MSV) under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA), Off-Road Vehicle Act (ORVA) or Motorized Snow Vehicle Act (MSVA) regulations.

ORVs and MSVs riders must meet registration requirements, and must obtain either a plate or permit to operate their vehicle on Ontario roads or lands (i.e., provincial highways, trails). Vehicles that do not meet the ministry’s requirements may only be used on private property (i.e. property must be owned by the vehicle operator or the vehicle owner must obtain permission from the property owner prior to operating their vehicle on the property owner’s property).

The Snowdog may also be operated on crown land, unless the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forests (MNRF) specifically prohibits public access to certain specific lands. Operators of the Snowdog must consult the MNRF to determine whether there are any restrictions in place which could prohibit operation of the vehicle on the land which the owner intends to operate the machine.

Thanks and please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

PM
Team Rapo
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 08:41 pm

Lunker Trout

Thanks for that info Fisherman!
I appreciate you taking the initiative to request info from them.
However they’re response leaves me with more questions than answers...

Is a frozen lake considered crown land?

Also would a lawn tractor or golf kart be considered the same as, or in the same category as the snow dog because they also would not meet the classification requirements of either MSV/ORV.

I am obviously enthused with the snow dog and even the homemade ones. This machine will transport myself and gear to enjoy ice fishing far better than my atv. I’m not interested in a snowmobile I can’t use for the rest of the year.
I will continue to wear my helmet, wear my tethered kill-switch, not be capable of travelling faster than 20km/hr and use appropriate hand signals at all times.

As these tracksleds grow in popularity the onus is on the government to create the appropriate classification followed by regulations(I.e. insurance and required equipment) and permits.
If us operators have issues with law enforcement those will be my arguments.

I don’t suspect trouble due to the slow and safe nature of these machines. If operators follow the rules already in place for ATVs and snowmobiles including time and location restrictions then I don’t see complaints or a need for “enforcement”.

Time will tell and I will share my expirences.

PM
Team Rapo
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 08:54 pm

Lunker Trout

Cowel installed

Attached Image

PM
BlackCrowe13

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

I was happy to see a snowdog type machine heading out from the shore today while I was walking back.

I gotta build me one of those!

PMEmail Poster
Team Rapo

Lunker Trout

Auger mounted and hooked up to my flip ready to roll.
Next is heated grips...

Attached Image

PM
FSHN FRK
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 09:01 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 952

Again.....I need one!
Cheers!

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 - 09:59 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Team Rapo @ Jan 12, 2019 - 08:41 pm)
Thanks for that info Fisherman!
I appreciate you taking the initiative to request info from them.
However they’re response leaves me with more questions than answers...

Also would a lawn tractor or golf kart be considered the same as, or in the same category as the snow dog because they also would not meet the classification requirements of either MSV/ORV.

I am obviously enthused with the snow dog and even the homemade ones. This machine will transport myself and gear to enjoy ice fishing far better than my atv. I’m not interested in a snowmobile I can’t use for the rest of the year.
I will continue to wear my helmet, wear my tethered kill-switch, not be capable of travelling faster than 20km/hr and use appropriate hand signals at all times.

As these tracksleds grow in popularity the onus is on the government to create the appropriate classification followed by regulations(I.e. insurance and required equipment) and permits.
If us operators have issues with law enforcement those will be my arguments.

I don’t suspect trouble due to the slow and safe nature of these machines. If operators follow the rules already in place for ATVs and snowmobiles including time and location restrictions then I don’t see complaints or a need for “enforcement”.

Time will tell and I will share my expirences.

I'm going with a gut feeling that if ATV's and snowmobiles need reg and insurance on the lake, then a Snow dog would too. Somewhere along the line I read that golf carts and lawnmowers don't qualify either, don't have a quote for that one.

I know a few years ago when the 2up and SxS ATV's came on line, people went out and bought them only to find they weren't legal for road use. Some trails allowed them, some didn't. A lot of people were angry that dealers just sold them without telling buyers the facts. You know the story about sales people, if their lips are moving, get a helmet and shovel, the poop is coming hard and fast.

If somewhere down the road MTO approves and adds these to the ORV section and plates are issued for use in public areas, they will have to have gone through some type of safety standard with an ANSI number and similar in Canada (American national standards institute). How would you get that plate for a home made version? It's not like building a boat trailer or cargo trailer where sometimes stuff gets "glued together" and hope for the best. I'm not knocking any builders by the way, some people make some fantastic units. On the other hand I'm sure we have all seen stuff going down the road that makes you cringe.

I'm not against these things by any means, a lot of people may have good use for them, people with mobility issues, etc, this may just be their thing to enjoy the outdoors more.

I also called the OPP SAVE team on friday, they're supposed to call back and get their idea on snowdogs. Whatever I get, I'll post up. Cheers.

PM
Elrik
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 - 10:42 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

We all appreciate all the research you are doing and sharing on this topic Fisherman, thank you kindly!

PMEmail Poster
zuperalexu
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 - 02:57 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7874

Happy researching everyone!

In the meantime I'm enjoying mine.
I took it out for a back lake splake outing and for a laker outing. So much fun. Love this thing!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Team Rapo
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 - 03:17 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (zuperalexu @ Jan 13, 2019 - 02:57 pm)

I took it out for a back lake splake outing and for a laker outing. So much fun. Love this thing!

NICEEEEE KEEP ON DOGGIN
I spent the weekend on cooks bay, not many perch tho lol no pictures, the home dog took me everywhere. Studs came in handy.

PM
zuperalexu
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 - 05:46 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7874

QUOTE (Team Rapo @ Jan 13, 2019 - 03:17 pm)
QUOTE (zuperalexu @ Jan 13, 2019 - 02:57 pm)

NICEEEEE KEEP ON DOGGIN
I spent the weekend on cooks bay, not many perch tho lol no pictures, the home dog took me everywhere. Studs came in handy.

Last outing I went 16km back and forth. Hardly any gas consumed.
Just amazing.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3