» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Walleye opener, Anyone excited?:)
Arthur k
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 12:49 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 19889

QUOTE (salmonslayer @ May 13, 2024 - 11:28 am)
Hit sturgeon for saturday and sunday . Saturday started off with a broken bunk board unloading boat and since it was already in water went out managed 4 walleye only 1 in slot so released all for the half day was out then home to fix bunks sunday everything went perfect walleye were bitting first was a 7lb brute no pics as i wanted to get back in water with no stress got a few slot fish and some unders one huge bass . On the way back to dock stopped go try a nice spot at about 2pm and took 3 walleye there one being a healthy 5lbs . So for the day managed 12 walleye a bass and couple perch so took 2 slot fish home for dinner as thats enough for 2 of us . Most of the fish came off black and red 3/8 jig as i noticed with first fish it had a crawfish in its throat. On way back to launch seen couple guys fishing the river mentioned it was not open until next Saturday one person fishing right at the locks the ministry needs a little more presence around the area . Looking forward toward next weekend now. Tight lines everyone

Very nice , I knew I should have stayed with my gut feeling.
I woke up Sunday morning and wanted to go to sturgeon, somehow got talked into lower Buckhorn by my Brother in law. And we got Skunked

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 01:07 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 12665

QUOTE (Woodfarmer @ May 11, 2024 - 04:02 pm)
Pickerel 19” Slow day but at least I wasn’t skunked.

Met a couple guys at the boat launch on the way out. They had two, one definitely looked right but not the larger one. Guy says it just under 19” in the slot size, buuuut there was two of them and one of me so I didn’t get into it with them.

Nice fish , WF.
Congrats on the opener and nice walleye!

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 01:10 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (flexkk @ May 13, 2024 - 10:22 am)
I was out Friday and Saturday. I only fished for a bit Friday in the afternoon but no luck, we saw a Muskie and a large pike took a swipe at the boat. Saturday fished morning and again in the afternoon. 4 out of season bass, a pike and a 18.5” walleye. Lost a couple others that I believe were walleye. As discussed before i wish they would just make all of zone 17 the same regulations . There is to much confusion with the Balsam slot. This slot has been in place since 2001 and not sure that it has made a difference or not. No excuse for the people that don’t know the regulation for the body of water they are fishing but i feel it is not being followed . I fish almost every weekend May to October and most of the walleye i catch are in the no keep slot.

HI Flexkk,

Thanks for the report and congrats on the opening of your 2024 fishing season!

I agree, walleye are harder to get these days so catching one on Balsam is not bad at all , especially in a mix of other fish species .

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 01:12 pm

World Record Trout

Hit sturgeon for saturday and sunday . Saturday started off with a broken bunk board unloading boat and since it was already in water went out managed 4 walleye only 1 in slot so released all for the half day was out then home to fix bunks sunday everything went perfect walleye were bitting first was a 7lb brute no pics as i wanted to get back in water with no stress got a few slot fish and some unders one huge bass . On the way back to dock stopped go try a nice spot at about 2pm and took 3 walleye there one being a healthy 5lbs . So for the day managed 12 walleye a bass and couple perch so took 2 slot fish home for dinner as thats enough for 2 of us . Most of the fish came off black and red 3/8 jig as i noticed with first fish it had a crawfish in its throat. On way back to launch seen couple guys fishing the river mentioned it was not open until next Saturday one person fishing right at the locks the ministry needs a little more presence around the area . Looking forward toward next weekend now. Tight lines everyone

Wow, great opener, SS! Nicely done !
Congrats on the great opener and thanks for sharing what worked for you.

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 01:24 pm

World Record Trout

Here goes my opener story.

Went Saturday to a lake in zone 16 with a buddy so we can fish for pike as well if walleyes are jaw locked .

The plan was to fish in the afternoon with option to stay a few hours into the night and fish for walleye.
So we started late - 3 pm and the SE wind was blowing pretty hard and blew most of the morning fishermen off the lake by then.
The bite was tough - no walleye and pike was very picky , hiding in the old weeds.
By 8 pm we caught only 4 pikes .
If we would quit at that time - that would be the end result for us , but the wind has died down and the rain showers passed nearby so we decided to stick with the plan and fish into the night a few hours.
At sunset I caught a few more pikes but still no sight of walleyes. Changed a few spots , tried here and there but nothing.
10 pm I caught a fish and was excited bringing it in, thinking it was a nice walleye but unfortunately it was a pike .
10.20 pm - finally buddy catches first walleye -, nice 18 incher.
Soon after I got similar one on a deep diving jointed rapala.
Then another hour goes without a nibble (this was a dead calm period, no ripple on the water), then a light wind has picked up and we are getting another two - a 19 incher and a 17 incher and then nohting again .
Last walleye was caught around 12 am and we called it a day.
End result - 9 pikes and 5 walleyes.

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 01:27 pm

World Record Trout

Buddy with a pike

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 01:27 pm

World Record Trout

Nice walleye

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 01:28 pm

World Record Trout

Smaller one ..

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 01:30 pm

World Record Trout

Heading home

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 01:39 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Arthur k @ May 13, 2024 - 12:49 pm)
Hit sturgeon for saturday and sunday . Saturday started off with a broken bunk board unloading boat and since it was already in water went out managed 4 walleye only 1 in slot so released all for the half day was out then home to fix bunks sunday everything went perfect walleye were bitting first was a 7lb brute no pics as i wanted to get back in water with no stress got a few slot fish and some unders one huge bass . On the way back to dock stopped go try a nice spot at about 2pm and took 3 walleye there one being a healthy 5lbs . So for the day managed 12 walleye a bass and couple perch so took 2 slot fish home for dinner as thats enough for 2 of us . Most of the fish came off black and red 3/8 jig as i noticed with first fish it had a crawfish in its throat.  On way back to launch seen couple guys fishing the river mentioned it was not open until next Saturday one person fishing right at the locks the ministry needs a little more presence around the area . Looking forward toward next weekend now. Tight lines everyone

Very nice , I knew I should have stayed with my gut feeling.
I woke up Sunday morning and wanted to go to sturgeon, somehow got talked into lower Buckhorn by my Brother in law. And we got Skunked

Hi Arthur,

Sorry about your skunk, had a fair share of those ones as well and would have been skunked myself on Saturday on walleye if we did not stay after sunset .

But I want to point out that Sunday was much tougher bite than Saturday morning because of the weather change.

Friends were doing very good Saturday morning at different lakes and different fish species before the wind picked up around noon, but Sunday was a post frontal day with bright sun and a few friends who went out Sunday morning had really struggled to catch a walleye or a pike.

So I guess what I am trying to say , it's not the wrongly picked lake but the weather being a key factor right now.

I cannot say that I know Buckhorn well (fished it a few times) but I love fishing Stoney and I know it has a healthy population of walleye in there.

The more time on the water you spent , the better will be your results.

Good luck this season!

PMEmail Poster
flexkk
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 02:12 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13479

Great job JB good thing you stuck it out into the evening ,it payed off. I was going to fish Saturday evening but the weather made me change my mind. Turned out the weather man was wrong but was too late at that point. Keep up the good work

PMEmail Poster
Woodfarmer
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 05:09 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 19144

That’s what I’m talking about, nice job guys.

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 06:28 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (flexkk @ May 13, 2024 - 11:35 am)
Hit sturgeon for saturday and sunday . Saturday started off with a broken bunk board unloading boat and since it was already in water went out managed 4 walleye only 1 in slot so released all for the half day was out then home to fix bunks sunday everything went perfect walleye were bitting first was a 7lb brute no pics as i wanted to get back in water with no stress got a few slot fish and some unders one huge bass . On the way back to dock stopped go try a nice spot at about 2pm and took 3 walleye there one being a healthy 5lbs . So for the day managed 12 walleye a bass and couple perch so took 2 slot fish home for dinner as thats enough for 2 of us . Most of the fish came off black and red 3/8 jig as i noticed with first fish it had a crawfish in its throat.  On way back to launch seen couple guys fishing the river mentioned it was not open until next Saturday one person fishing right at the locks the ministry needs a little more presence around the area . Looking forward toward next weekend now. Tight lines everyone

Sounds like you had a great opener. The pike i caught was full of crayfish and a clam of all things

I took home 3 walleyes and the buddy took 2 other walleyes and a few pikes and most fish had perch in their stomachs

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: May 14, 2024 - 11:47 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

That's sounds like a good weekend too bad about the pictures.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: May 14, 2024 - 11:59 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

QUOTE (Jerkbaiter @ May 13, 2024 - 01:24 pm)
Here goes my opener story.

Went Saturday to a lake in zone 16 with a buddy so we can fish for pike as well if walleyes are jaw locked .

The plan was to fish in the afternoon with option to stay a few hours into the night and fish for walleye.
So we started late - 3 pm and the SE wind was blowing pretty hard and blew most of the morning fishermen off the lake by then.
The bite was tough - no walleye and pike was very picky , hiding in the old weeds.
By 8 pm we caught only 4 pikes .
If we would quit at that time - that would be the end result for us , but the wind has died down and the rain showers passed nearby so we decided to stick with the plan and fish into the night a few hours.
At sunset I caught a few more pikes but still no sight of walleyes. Changed a few spots , tried here and there but nothing.
10 pm I caught a fish and was excited bringing it in, thinking it was a nice walleye but unfortunately it was a pike .
10.20 pm - finally buddy catches first walleye -, nice 18 incher.
Soon after I got similar one on a deep diving jointed rapala.
Then another hour goes without a nibble (this was a dead calm period, no ripple on the water), then a light wind has picked up and we are getting another two - a 19 incher and a 17 incher and then nohting again .
Last walleye was caught around 12 am and we called it  a day.
End result - 9 pikes and 5 walleyes.

Nice to get some fish in both the day and evening. Thanks for the photos. Say hello to your friend for me. If that is who I think it is.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!