Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Lower Buckhorn bust
Arthur k
Posted: May 12, 2024 - 07:11 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 19889

Today went out to lower buckhorn to see if we can get a few Walleye. It was beautiful day just a slight breeze but the fishing was tough. About a dozen boats on the lake and just about everyone was skunked.
We did not mark any fish at all.

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 03:57 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 12665

Hi Arthur,

Did not see your post here so I already replied in "Walleye opener" thread.

This time of year when the water is cold and clear , the best bite would be a night bite (tcc, just don't tell Crappeeman ).

I know it's not easy to fish at night and it's not for everyone, but this is reality

To catch walleye in Spring during the day time in Kawartha (we are not talking Detroit river etc) you will need: good electronics (which means preferably a live scope and at least a good side image unit), good knowledge of fish location in the lake this time of year and subtle presentation like a minnow under a float or a jig

After the opener craze settles and the water warms up the bite will only improve.

Good luck in the season!

PMEmail Poster
Arthur k
Posted: May 13, 2024 - 08:54 pm

Fry

Member No.: 19889

lol that is exactly what i had 3 units including the brand new Garmin live scope +. I swear I must have scanned 60% of that lake I did not mark any fish at all so there was no point in pulling out the Panoptics considering
I will give it another try one day , but it’s time to hit more productive waters.

PMEmail Poster
streeker02
Posted: May 14, 2024 - 09:06 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2910

having fished that particular lake for over 30 years (I consider it my home water), I can tell you that it fishes much better with a chop on the water and overcast sky.

I can also tell you that the "upper" half of lower buckhorn fishes much better in the early season than the "lower" (ie deer bay).

You can always find fish there, but seasonal movements are key. DM me if you want to chat about it.

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 14, 2024 - 10:38 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (streeker02 @ May 14, 2024 - 09:06 am)
having fished that particular lake for over 30 years (I consider it my home water), I can tell you that it fishes much better with a chop on the water and overcast sky.

I can also tell you that the "upper" half of lower buckhorn fishes much better in the early season than the "lower" (ie deer bay).

You can always find fish there, but seasonal movements are key. DM me if you want to chat about it.

Thanks for the info,
I knew there should be some walleyes in Buckhorn.
Beautiful lake with clear dark water , similar to Stoney

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: May 14, 2024 - 10:42 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Arthur k @ May 13, 2024 - 08:54 pm)
lol that is exactly what i had  3 units including the brand new Garmin live scope +. I swear I must have scanned 60% of that lake I did not mark any fish at all so there was no point in pulling out the Panoptics considering
I will give it another try one day , but it’s time to hit more productive waters.

I hear you , Arthur

So then I guess it's the knowledge of the lake and where the fish at in particular time of year.

it took me years to somewhat figure out Stoney and lots of folks fishing it once in a while often get skunked, including myself as I don't fish it often enough.

PS. What helped me personally improve my walleye catch rates besides being more often on the water and fishing mainly for walleye the last few seasons was watching Tom Boley youtube videos.

This guy is one of the best authority on walleyes in the midwest and is a very good educator so I highly recommend.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!