» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Vintage Lake Simcoe Fishing Pics, Please share your knowledge
Bayliner
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 - 07:56 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

Gord, Rebecca and I looked at the pic without reading above it and knew right away.

PMEmail Poster
admin
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 - 07:58 pm

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I did a search at the Archives of Ontario database to see if I could match any of the pics you posted. Did not find any matching pics, but did find "Vintage Pic 011" in colour as posted. Since you have the B&W version, I guess I did find one of your pics.

Here is the info I have for Vintage Pic 011:

Title: Ice fishing, Lake Simcoe
Date: 1959
Place: Simcoe, Lake (Ont.)
Creator: Department of Travel and Publicity, Publicity Branch
Format: Tourism promotion photographs - 10 x 13 cm colour transparencies

This image may have originated as B&W and was then colourized for use in colour photographic advertisements.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ThorahGuy
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 - 08:36 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 644

Hey John, guess the years haven't treated me too bad after all then.

Thanks for checking the pics out Jerry. I really don't have a clue where many of mine came from. I have handled thousands of images in my volunteer work where everything is under reasonably rigid control. Not all of my own are under the same degree of control.

You may be right about 011 being colourized in your copy. The original copy I have is an RGB file but displays as B&W.

PMEmail Poster
avengere1.
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 - 08:41 pm

Unregistered

thorahguy i like the fish but the car is really nice..nice pics

Bayliner
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 - 08:50 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

I'm pretty sure the guy in picture 011 is Longshank

PMEmail Poster
avengere1.
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 - 09:02 pm

Unregistered

thorah guy pretty sure someone gave you that fish...lol..you dont look like you were fishin you look like you were out there with a young lady..anglers dont wear there sunday best when fishing..lol..the fish was a cover up ..great photo tho..

ThorahGuy
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 - 09:15 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Avengere, didn't you see my rod leaning against the car? FISHING ROD that is! And Sunday best? Only a Newfie would say that.

FYI, the car is a 1957 Series 2 Wolsey 6/90, rather rare to say the least. I should have kept it, might have been worth real money today but who was to know.

PMEmail Poster
avengere1.
Posted: Nov 17, 2011 - 09:20 pm

Unregistered

lol the rod was a prop.jk.great photos ,think i spotted bayliner in one of them..lol..kiddin aside learned alot about lake simcoe just by looking at your pics..

ThorahGuy
Posted: Nov 19, 2011 - 06:36 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Vintage Pic 014

This is my father in law, Tom Pink. Picture was taken about 1950. In the 1950’s and 1960’s we used to catch dinner, a mix of Bass and Perch, in an hour or less. We used the heavy black line of the day with a single hook and a piece of worm, no rod or reel, just hand held. From experience we knew where to go based on time of the year, time of day and the weather. All those spots were within easy rowing distance. We never caught anything big but usually came home with enough to eat. None of those spots are very productive today. I wonder what he would have thought about all the hi-tech stuff used today?

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
avengere1.
Posted: Nov 19, 2011 - 07:25 pm

Unregistered

great pic ..yeah back east fishin for cod there was no rods and reels it was mono 1/6 of an inch in diameter and a big ole jigger with a little red on it.drop it to the bottom and bring it up a few feet and wrap the line around your hand and start jigging..many blisters pulling up cod..with me and my dad our best day jigging was 3500 lbs of cod...early sept on the labrador coast...them days was good days..

ThorahGuy
Posted: Nov 19, 2011 - 07:40 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Some would say life was tougher then. Maybe so, but it was simpler and somehow I think we were happier.

PMEmail Poster
avengere1.
Posted: Nov 19, 2011 - 07:47 pm

Unregistered

you are right on.i think life over all was better in many ways..

admin
Posted: Nov 20, 2011 - 08:55 am

Administrator
Group Icon

I noticed the STANDARD GASOLINE crate in Vintage Pic005. This may give a clue to it's era. The following sign with similar logo is dated 1930-1946.

Update 25 Nov '11 Vintage Pic005 is dated 1930's

Origin:
Yukon Historical Fishing Archives
Ice fishing, ca. 1930’s. (YA, Claude B. Tidd Coll., #7298)

Attached Image

admin
Posted: Nov 20, 2011 - 09:06 am

Administrator
Group Icon

Gord, nice pic of your father in law and interesting fishing technique. I guess he would think we are crazy with our bassboats, side-imaging sonar, underwater cameras, electric trolling motors, high tech fishing rods, etc. etc. Most of this "fishing equipment" is designed to catch fishermen, not fish. But i have to say, ice fishing without my x67c just isn't the same.

ThorahGuy
Posted: Nov 20, 2011 - 08:17 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Vintage Pic 015

The man with the rifle is believed to be Billy Warren. The other is unknown. The building behind them is almost certainly Thorah House. My best guess of the date is about 1930.

If anyone can add anything, please do.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!