Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How A good Day Can Go Bad in a Hurry, Meaford--Monday July 22
sdcaller
Posted: Jul 22, 2024 - 08:03 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

An eventful day!

We were on the water and fishing in 100 FOW just after 9AM. Just before 10AM picked up a nice 3lb laker down 110ft in 130FOW. It was on a Luhr Jensen Shoehorn spoon--silver/blue/pink.

We were marking lots of fish both deep and higher in the water column. Dead calm day--great to be out.

When I hooked the laker, I shut off the motor as I like to play my fish, not drag them along.

After we got sorted out and ready to start fishing again, I went to restart the motor--Nada, just a click when I turned the key. Tried various things for about 45 minutes, including trying to start with a starter rope, No luck. While we were drifting along in 135fow, we were marking a lot of good fish close to bottom.

Called the Coast Guard (*16) and asked them for the phone number for the Meaford Harbour Master and told the lady at the CG I would see if they could help. She said she would do a radio check and see if anyone was available to help. Meaford harbour Master was not able to help, so I called the CG back and she told me the Meaford Sailing School was standing by to come and help. Told her to send them. Couple of teenagers came out in a zodiac within 15 minutes and towed us back to the launch ramp. Didn't want payment, but we paid them anyways. Called the CG back and thanked them for their help.

That was our day done and now I have to figure out what it is with the motor. Starter,
solenoid or maybe a bad connection. Anyone have any thoughts?

Here is a picture of the laker who was supper tonight, baked in foil with onions and lemon. Very tasty.

SDC

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
grampa
Posted: Jul 22, 2024 - 08:16 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7317

wow not a great way to end your day . Sorry the maiden voyage this year didnt go so well . Hope its an easy fix and your back on the water soon.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jul 22, 2024 - 08:16 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Wow. Sorry to hear that. It was good that you did manage to get help. All I can say is Bummer!!

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Jul 22, 2024 - 08:54 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Thanks for the report and nice fish. Clean looking Laker.

Sorry to hear about the boat troubles.

I have been working on my own boat for weeks, trying to get back on the water.. So I understand the frustration.

Hmmm, since it just clicks, sounds like the starter motor.

First thing I would do is make sure the battery is fully charged and good. Maybe not enough cranking amps. If you have a spare battery, swap it out... Then check all the connections from the battery to the outboard and make sure none are loose. I have had the bolts on the battery terminals come loose from bumpy roads while trailering.

After that, I am not sure. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage on the starter terminals.

What outboard do you have again? Make, year and HP will helps so we can look it up..

PMEmail Poster
Fozzy47
Posted: Jul 23, 2024 - 06:37 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 18006

That was a tough day on the water SDC. On the plus side, your laker was a real porker. Very nice looking fish, very healthy.

Your trouble, as others have suggested, sounds like either battery/connections/alternator or starter. I'm leaning towards the starter/alternator combo.

Running the motor while trolling, you should have been charging the battery, at least a little.
A voltage and stress test meter will tell you what you need to know.
Your dinner?.... Top-notch.

Good Luck,

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jul 23, 2024 - 07:13 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Nice fish, and too bad you couldn't do more fishing on such a nice day. The important thing is you knew what to do out there. So many people don't have a plan if something goes wrong. Whether you are fishing, camping, or whatever. Everyone should have a phone or two, if in a group. If you are going out of town, get the local services numbers. Thanks for posting, you may have given someone some good advice, without even knowing it.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Jul 23, 2024 - 10:58 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

Ralph that really sucks, every boaters nightmare. Good it turned out the way it did. Next time maybe just put in neutral. I always have one motor running when trolling before I shut the other off. So big motor runs until kicker running, than when time to move at speed start big motor before turning off little motor. If stopping to real in fish leave kicker in neutral. Know this doesn't help but I'm always afraid that one motor won't start. My electric is not working right now so need to bring it to Rockey's on Thursday, I will call you to see if around on Friday, if so I will stop in to say hi, no Sam though.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jul 23, 2024 - 11:12 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Ralph. I forgot to mention that this has happened to me a few times over the years and most of the time I traced it back to bad connections, so hopefully it will be a simple fix.

as others have mentioned carry a voltmeter with you and you can diagnose even on the water

use dioelectric grease on all terminals and connections......when it is so hot it really helps, dampness also

last.........by all means just put in neutral and never shut the engine off

once you have done the above then start working through the starter etc,

good luck

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fisherman
Posted: Jul 23, 2024 - 02:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

I don't leave home now without my small jump start battery, it will easily start a 40 hp outboard or ATV.

PM
fool4golf
Posted: Jul 23, 2024 - 03:26 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 9946

dont want to sound to stupid but i aslo have legend boat with
a merc engine hit kill swich while figthing a musky went to start motor same thing but i know just throwing it out there

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: Jul 24, 2024 - 07:53 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2426

QUOTE (fool4golf @ Jul 23, 2024 - 03:26 pm)
dont want to sound to stupid but i aslo have legend boat with
a merc engine hit kill swich while figthing a musky went to start motor same thing but i know just throwing it out there

If he hit the kill switch, he wouldn't get the clicking noise when turning the key.

I feel it's an old battery and wasn't taking a charge anymore.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jul 25, 2024 - 05:44 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

Sorry you had trouble on your maiden voyage although you worked through them like a pro. My bets are your solenoid crapped out but it sounds like a simple fix. Lots of good advice here from several people.
Once you are up and running get right back out there.
Good looking laker.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Jul 25, 2024 - 12:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

I agree with solenoid or loose/dirty connection somewhere.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Limacharley
Posted: Aug 21, 2024 - 12:25 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11791

Hope you found your problem SD.

For what it's worth, I had a very similar issue. I have a Lund Tyee 1950 with an inboard Alpha 5l Mercruiser.

When I would try to start her, I'd turn the ignition to listen for the beep and then it would click.
Kept trying and still just a click.
Then all of a sudden, it would start.

After months of poking around I discovered that the connection to the starter was not tight enough.
Once that connection was tightened, I never had another problem with it.

It's no fun working on these engines. You have to be willing to contort your body like an Olympic gymnast.

It does appear like a bad connection if it worked before.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!