» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Another Muskoka lake for whitefish but...
Flukes
Posted: Oct 05, 2024 - 11:19 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15807

Beautiful calm day for a family boat trip so we decided to explore another lake further north because it's just too busy up here on the weekends with all the autumn colours tourists Jusking kidding...it's still really quiet up here (I actually thought there would be more people up here this weekend).
Drove by my usual closer fishing spot and I didn't see anyone out there fishing but there were some cars parked so maybe there was someone out there.
New lake, had heard some good things about it and I had mapped out 4 or 5 areas in a smaller section of the lake to try for some whitefish. First spot, the wife catches a laker within 15 min of fishing (about 18" and strangely, almost no fight to it - just came straight up and played dead it seems; easy release beside the boat). Second spot, I hooked and released two lakers beside the boat (20-24"). Fourth spot, 2 more lakers (20-22"). All were just hooked on one barb of a treble and all were so easy to release which was nice (I didn't want to have to handle them). Marked fish at all the spots I tried. Fished for about 3 hours so it seems there is a good healthy population of lakers in that lake.
So somewhat successful scouting mission for lakers at least but wished we would have at least gotten one WF...still need to figure their locations out. I think I will be going back there for some ice fishing.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Oct 06, 2024 - 09:32 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

That sounds great out there on the water, with all this amazing weather. And good fishing for a bonus.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Oct 06, 2024 - 10:08 pm

World Record Trout

Good fishing but lakers are OOS on this lake so hated catching them (moved on after deciding each spot was likely more lakers...although one really won't know until you see them but sometimes, you can tell by the fight although my wife's laker came up playing dead and I thought that was going to be a small WF). When in season, I will stick around a bit longer and try even smaller baits to see if I can get a WF and reduce the chances of getting more lakers (what a tough problem to have ). At least, if I hook a laker in a bad way, I can keep it and not waste it by releasing it injured (not my preferred fish to eat but I will still eat them...who knows this lake's lakers may taste better).

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Oct 07, 2024 - 07:03 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 19120

Sometimes your target species doesn’t pan out but any time on the water is banked knowledge and time well spent!

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Oct 07, 2024 - 11:14 pm

World Record Trout

Agreed completely. Can't wait to get back there for some ice fishing. We are planning on another family trip for this Friday and we will explore a smaller lake in our area - hope it will be even more successful (for WF that is).

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Yesterday at 05:53 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

Great report and details

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!