» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> A longer day but got a couple
Flukes
Posted: Yesterday at 11:03 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15807

QUOTE (dmaster @ Oct 22, 2024 - 02:28 pm)
QUOTE (Flukes @ Oct 21, 2024 - 10:37 pm)
...  Only difference that I have found with lakers and whitefish when they do the chasing is that the lakers can be a bit faster with the chasing (but then again, I never really know a hooked fish is a laker or WF until I see it clearly).  So some WF are coming up quite a distance to hit the bait even if some of that maybe due to the cone angle, etc.  So far, the coolest is what I think is the fast chase where I can barely see the sonar signal from the fish (thinking it maybe noise and then last second thinking maybe a fish and then the rod loads up....very exciting to say the least).

Yes, this what I said, too....
Sometime fish is following the lure when you raise it up, and you see it is the same one which was at the bottom.
However, more frequently I see the shade comes from nowhere, detected only on entrance to the cone of signal and having fast attack to bait.
On screen you see that as coming from the bottom, looks like same way as following fish on slow move up does, but not in reality.

I am playing with sensitivity on my fishfinder, trying to keep combination of sensitivity and contrast ( Hummingbirds Helix 7) to see every distant shade, trained in the past on Lake Simcoe chasing Lakers The best sonar performance, IMXO, is when you see a bit of noise on the screen, but clearly separating objects from that noise. The width of reliable fish detection quite large that on clear screen and just fish shades under the boat.

Yes, those that come out of nowhere can for sure be from outside of the cone. But those that are seen for a bit on bottom and then come up...well, we know what they were. These ones can also rocket up very, very quickly. It really depends on their mood and also how fast you reel up. Sometimes, too fast and they turn away. Sometimes too slow and they continue to follow but no strike either. It can be frustrating sometimes
Interesting observation with the sonar performance. I will play around with the sensitivity and colour line to be able to see the sharp change in the thermocline. In general, I like the screen to be clear of noise but sensitive enough to see my lure (and reasonably decent amounts of baitfish) well but I find that sometimes, I have to change the sensitivity at different times because it can get noisier or less sensitive (if that makes any sense) - I am suspecting it may be extra noise from wind and waves???
On a similar note, do you (or anyone reading this) know why anyone may want to have any surface clutter? What is the benefit of having any surface clutter? For my kind of fishing, I haven't found a need to keep any surface clutter.
I also started fishing for WF on Simcoe and for many, many years (even when there was no closed season and I believe when there was no limit on them - I was pretty young then Sometimes, there is a lot of down time when ice fishing so there is much more time to play around with sonar settings, esp. if you are in a rental commercial hut and can't just pick up and move to another location.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!