» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Thermacell, Mosquito Repellent Systems
Attila
Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 03:35 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11988

I normally try not to plug a company...but after reading all the reports where people are getting eaten alive by bugs, I thought I'd mention the above.

They really have a great line of products, one's that you can wear on your belt or, if you need coverage for a bigger area, stand alone units that cover an impressive area.

I have one meant for personal use, and another that I use for any camping or chair fishing I do, particularly as the sun goes down.

They're available pretty much everywhere, from Marks Work Warehouse, to Canadian Tire, to Walmart...

It could be the last product you'll need when it comes to keeping the skeeters at bay.

Thermacell Canada

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jun 18, 2023 - 08:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

So do you find these units work well. 90 percent of my fishing is at night but I don't know much about this new technology. I just use mosquito spray on my clothes. Garlic on my skin and chew cinnamon gum.

PMEmail Poster
salmonslayer
Posted: Jun 19, 2023 - 05:56 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7193

These units work i wasnt sure at first but when i tried when hunting up north in the bush it was fantastic worked on mosquito and black fly well worth the money

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Jun 19, 2023 - 11:58 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Thank you for posting that Atilla. And thank you salmonslayer for the comment. I will look into these units. Every little bit helps protect against the little vampires at night.

PMEmail Poster
nbender81
Posted: Jun 19, 2023 - 05:37 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14362

I can also confirm that Thermocell products work wonders! And old fashioned mosquito coils do too.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Jun 19, 2023 - 05:57 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

DON'T leave home without one. I have like 4 of them. I bought the camo cloth carrier for one, which is great because it has to side pouches that hold extra fuel and cards, also has a belt hook. while walking it probably only stops 50%, but stopped it a 100% all the way on misquotes. I'm cheap so while sitting there and no bugs I figured might as well turn off and save fuel. That lasted about 5 minutes and I regretted that decision. Never turn off now until I'm at truck

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Jun 19, 2023 - 08:10 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 12665

Thanks for bringing this up, Attila.

I also used this device and works good

It just I have to remember to bring it with me.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Jun 20, 2023 - 07:38 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10129

I agree with the benefits of using the thermacell. I keep my usage to outside and not inside a ground blind (health concerns?). I find spraying the window openings with regular repellant discourages flying pests from entering.

There a number of "hack" videos that show how to refill fuel canisters for much cheaper than replacing. I tried this and it does work. The blue repellant pads are available in "nock-off" versions from "overseas" for much less; I haven't used these out of concern for quality/health standards.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jun 20, 2023 - 09:07 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

wow, very interesting as we bought a ste over 3 years ago and in all honesty were not impressed

so back to spray and a bug jacket........

did we just wind up getting defective units, cause now i'm interested again

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Smilee
Posted: Jun 21, 2023 - 05:31 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11276

Bought 2 patio units a few years back, work great! All the neighbors were impressed, so they all have them also…

PMEmail Poster
Winterfisher
Posted: Jun 21, 2023 - 08:01 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16638

I'm glad this came up. I'm going backcountry crown camping with my 9 month old in a couple weeks. Was looking for a good way to keep the mosquitoes at bay. Looked into the thermacell, but was skeptical. Too many gimmicks out there.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman7
Posted: Jun 21, 2023 - 10:39 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12145

Thermocell definitely works. Costco used to sell multipacks of the butane canisters and active ingredient. Maybe worth a look.

We also have the table top model and it works quite well.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jun 21, 2023 - 10:05 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

QUOTE (Longshank @ Jun 20, 2023 - 09:07 pm)
wow, very interesting as we bought a ste over 3 years ago and in all honesty were not impressed

so back to spray and a bug jacket........

did we just wind up getting defective units, cause now i'm interested again

My experience with them is limited but we were at a friends place and they lit up a table top one and it didn’t seem to help at all. Maybe it was defective. Have to give it a second chance.

PMEmail Poster
grampa
Posted: Jun 22, 2023 - 06:56 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7317

my two cents they seem to work well in a back yard patio situation but acouple years ago i took one north of sudbury in june at buddys camp seemed to have no effect on the swarms of mosquitos up there

PMEmail Poster
Jerkbaiter
Posted: Jun 22, 2023 - 07:00 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 12665

Found this YouTube video
Good explanation about thermacell model mr300 on how it works and how and where to use it :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wVBW2bQ599E&p...m1hY2VsbA%3D%3D

The take away is that its pretty much works only in stationary conditions not when you are hiking or moving around on the boat

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!