Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Long Weekend Fishing May 18th-20th, Walleye opener + whitefish
Mike33
Posted: May 21, 2024 - 09:25 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 19120

My cousin and I got out this weekend for walleye opener, couldn’t have asked for better weather being out on the boat (almost too good). Started around 1pm on Saturday trying an end of the lake that had the makings of a suitable spawning area for walleye. Worked a location nearby a creek inflow casting anywhere from 7’-25’ fow towards any visible structure and slowly working back a soft plastic 1/4oz ned rig. First walleye of the season, caught in 12’ off a shoal not far from the creek mouth:

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: May 21, 2024 - 09:34 am

Adult Trout

Our second location was towards the main basin, a mid-lake shoal close to some of the deepest water in the lake. With clear water and the sun out, we figured we would try to work the shaded sections of structure, deeper around 12’-20’. I switched to a chartreuse coloured soft plastic and caught this 22.5” walleye:

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: May 21, 2024 - 09:46 am

Adult Trout

Caught a third walleye near the same area on Sunday afternoon, 21.5” released. On Monday we decided to change things up and try for whitefish in a bay we had found them in two weeks ago. They hadn’t moved far from our pinned location. Landed two whitefish on a 7g vibrato about 3/4 down over 50’.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: May 21, 2024 - 09:48 am

Adult Trout

The larger of the two whitefish measured 24.5”, both were released. Tons of fun fighting these thick whitefish. A great weekend of fishing, slowly learning more about our lake.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: May 21, 2024 - 12:29 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

Good job! Nice quality fish. Strong East wind for three days leading up to opener put fish on different spots than the more common westerly’s. Walleye like to be pushed around by the wind. As for the whitefish, you now have a spot you should be able to find them most of the year, and good ones too! A resource to be cherished.

PMEmail Poster
Kushog
Posted: May 21, 2024 - 02:21 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13099

That's a nice catch!

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: May 21, 2024 - 04:34 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (mykola @ May 21, 2024 - 12:29 pm)
Good job! Nice quality fish.  Strong East wind for three days leading up to opener put fish on different spots than the more common westerly’s.  Walleye like to be pushed around by the wind.  As for the whitefish, you now have a spot you should be able to find them most of the year, and good ones too!  A resource to be cherished.

Thanks Nick! Seemed like some of the walleye have already started to push out from their spawning grounds. Water temperature was 16.5C. We had consistent S or S/E winds for the weekend. I’m going to continue tracking the whitefish throughout the season to get an idea of their patterns on the lake.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: May 21, 2024 - 04:56 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Some very nice fish, and the weather looked nice. Beautiful walleye.

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: May 25, 2024 - 03:18 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11988

Nice catches, well done!

Does your lake also have cisco's in it?

If so you may have found the forage for the walleye in your lake....just a suggestion of course.

I hope the rest of your season goes well.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: May 25, 2024 - 04:37 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (Attila @ May 25, 2024 - 03:18 pm)
Nice catches, well done!

Does your lake also have cisco's in it?

If so you may have found the forage for the walleye in your lake....just a suggestion of course.

I hope the rest of your season goes well.

Thanks Attila, cisco are listed as a species found in the lake according the MNRF records and I’ve spoken to people who once caught them in great numbers many years ago. I will see if I can find them myself, reports now suggest they are no longer present.

PMEmail Poster
Fozzy47
Posted: May 26, 2024 - 06:33 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 18006

Great post, Nice catch!.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!