Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Poulan chainsaw problem
MarkDv
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 02:01 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16889

Hi!
I'm struggling to fix Poulan chainsaw... I know, it probably would be easier just to buy a new one, but I already spent some time on it and it is also my satisfaction question..
The engine will start only if I spray Quick Start in the air filter. It would run for a 2-3 seconds and stop.
The fuel is appeared to go well. When I unscrew the spark plug it appears to be wet.
I removed and disassemble the carburetor. It seems to be clean enough and I clean anyway...
I might need to adjust High, Low, and Idle screws but to do so I need to run the engine at least some time. I tried the screws in different position with no result.
Just don't know what else I could do.
Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 02:34 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

Ditto, exact thing happened to me with my late father in laws honda snowblower. Seriously I did exactly what you said you did......then.......I replaced the plug, pulled the cord and did a happy dance. Good Luck

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 03:27 pm

Adult Trout

Thanks for the advise. I did it too already. Put a new spark plug with no effect...
Th ignition seems to be OK, I removed the plug, connected it to the cord, pulled the rope - normal sparks seeing at daylight...

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 04:32 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

How old is the gas you are using? I surprised myself once with that same problem, old gas didn't have enough bang left in it. Drained tank, mixed a small new batch and it fired up right away.

PM
mydogbites
Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 10:40 pm

World Record Trout

Since you changed the plug, and its wet plus it will chirp with quick start. My next guess would be fuel, grab some fresh premium. If its still no go then you may have an issue with the carbs float or needle/jet. I will add I'm not a mechanic these are just the things I had troubleshooted on my, generator, rototiller, weed whacker and snowblower over the years.
The other thing to try is,, you need an extra set of hands to spray the quick start in the carb throat to keep it running more than 3 seconds sometimes this will clear the issue if its crappy fuel.

PMEmail Poster
Neil
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 06:49 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4203

Use the starting fluid sparingly as it can cause damage to two stroke engines. Lots of info about this out there but here is some.
https://blog.amsoil.com/is-starting-fluid-b...or-gas-engines/
It sure sounds like a gas issue to me though. Is there a filter on the gas line? Could the line from the tank to the carb be deteriorated or plugged?

Neil

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 01:45 pm

Adult Trout

Thanks everyone who replied! I really appreciate the help. At least I know that I didn't miss anything.
Yes, I change the fuel, plug, cleaned the carburetor.
The issue begins with the fuel lines and the filter. The lines actually became hard, not flexible and broke. So those were replaced at first.
Today I recleaned and checked everything again. Surprisingly, the saw started after several pulls without Quick Start. Worked for several seconds then after a second of high speed run stopped. Seems like it was flooded. The plug is wet as well. However, all screws are at the minimum opening...

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 03:24 pm

World Record Trout

Again I'm no mechanic, but my bet is placed on the seat of the jet or the jet needle itself. It sure sounds like it's flooding out if the plug is wet. These little carbs are so sensitive. Final straw take it out back and give it a proper burial since it's already dead. Then go buy a Stihl, hasqvarna or jonsered and enjoy cutting wood again.

PMEmail Poster
earthling
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 03:49 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 17206

Its in your carb that is the problem, they are probably dirt cheap, buy one, replace it and it should go.

PMEmail Poster
Neil
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 04:26 pm

Trophy Trout

I saw something online about a vent hole in the fuel cap being plugged which would let the saw run for a short period before causing negative pressure in the tank starving fuel to the carb.

Neil

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 05:38 pm

Adult Trout

Holly ....!!! What an idiot I am!
Laugh loud and hard!
It was wrong line connection.
I connected the primer knob (suction) before the carburetor, while it should be connected after that. That's why I noticed that at first I have a lot of fuel and flooded engine and after few seconds no fuel at all. But I was able to realize it only after I fill the tank full so the fuel was able to touch the back flow line. Then I saw the fuel goes wrong way...
Holly idiot!
Thanks to all for trying to help me! Really, very friendly and helpful forum... I expected no one would be bothered to reply and was surprised!
Thanks a lot to everybody who replied! All suggestions are very meaningful.

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 06:18 pm

World Record Trout

Ha Ha the pony lives, good for you staying at it, I would of shot it.

PMEmail Poster
Neil
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 06:22 pm

Trophy Trout

Glad you figured it out. Good for you for sticking with it.

Neil

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 06:30 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

Now put the chain on backwards and go cut down a tree.
It'll take you a while.
I know.....

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 07:00 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Lazinator @ Mar 30, 2020 - 06:30 pm)
Now put the chain on backwards and go cut down a tree.
It'll take you a while.
I know.....

you're not the first to do that.

PM

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line