» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Long weekend fun, Ice fishing
Fishnhunt
Posted: Feb 20, 2024 - 06:50 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15869

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Feb 20, 2024 - 04:19 pm)
sounds like a great long weekend. Don't know if I like that pattern from the side of the hut, even the picture was hard on my eyes

I never noticed that before! Now it’s going to bug me every time. ?

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Feb 20, 2024 - 08:16 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15807

QUOTE (mykola @ Feb 20, 2024 - 06:03 pm)
QUOTE (Fishnhunt @ Feb 20, 2024 - 02:27 pm)
Whitie grabbers in action

I love this

For sure, sounds like a great weekend. And I love those whitey grabbers. How successful were they (you had mentioned you lost quite a few)? And did you have to do anything to the "teeth" on those tongs to give them more of a solid grip on the fish?

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Feb 21, 2024 - 06:57 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Flukes @ Feb 20, 2024 - 08:16 pm)
QUOTE (mykola @ Feb 20, 2024 - 06:03 pm)
QUOTE (Fishnhunt @ Feb 20, 2024 - 02:27 pm)
Whitie grabbers in action

I love this

For sure, sounds like a great weekend. And I love those whitey grabbers. How successful were they (you had mentioned you lost quite a few)? And did you have to do anything to the "teeth" on those tongs to give them more of a solid grip on the fish?

The grabbers are just normal clam shell tongs that I bent and sharpened teeth . I only use them on fish I am going to keep. The fish that we lost happened as we tried to steer them into the hole. The spreader hooking on the bottom of the hole was he most common problem but we did invent a couple new ways to lose fish. It sure was a fun time!

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Feb 21, 2024 - 07:52 pm

World Record Trout

So you did sharpen the teeth a bit...cool.
About the three way spreaders. Have you considered using just a two way and two higher hooks? I had the same issue in the past when I used spreader and then went to a two way and worked well....I still have a bunch of two way spreaders in a box somewhere.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Feb 21, 2024 - 10:44 pm

World Record Trout

I have a couple two ways but I don’t like the hooks on them and they are difficult to change out.Im going to get them ready for next time because the two way do come straight up the hole nicely.

PMEmail Poster
simcoeslayer77
Posted: Feb 22, 2024 - 08:52 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10724

Great pics and story. Thanks for sharing. Whitie grabbers...just awesome

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Feb 22, 2024 - 10:03 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Fishnhunt @ Feb 21, 2024 - 10:44 pm)
I have a couple two ways but I don’t like the hooks on them and they are difficult to change out.Im going to get them ready for next time because the two way do come straight up the hole nicely.

Agreed. All the spreaders I had, I changed out the hooks. The two way ones I have are a lead weight in the middle of a wire that sticks out 2" on each side and then there is a thick piece of mono (I'm guessing 25+lb test) tied to the wire so they can be pulled out or retracted when not in use - the hooks are just slide onto a loop in the mono. so hooks are very easy to change out. There is also a pearl bead at each end of the wire (helps as a stopper of the mono when slid out and maybe a bit of an attractant as well). Three ways worked very well in those large holes they use to chain-saw cut in the commercial huts. The two-way spreaders worked best for the augered holes (if you have a fish on the two-ways just become inline with the fish and much less complications with getting through the augered holes (and you can add a couple of high hooks too).

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!