Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> March 1, 2024 muskoka Lakers, Stay safe out there
Heavytruckerbud
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 06:59 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16206

Had a plan to finish off the season in muskoka. I was on Simcoe all winter and then Simcoe got too dangerous, and perch got too monotonous.

Left Toronto at around 4am and was headed to muskoka. I had no idea how the ice was at this lake but had faith and trusted the process. I was on lake of bays earlier this year and got skunked, but was on ok ice.

Got to the first lake and it was pretty sketchy. Saw some snowmobile tracks, but the tracks abruptly stopped and the ice was about 3 inches. For safety, ice chisels and spuds are so important.

At this lake there was still lots of open water and also open water from people’s boat houses where they keep the water circulating to prevent ice damage.

There was a section of ice that had open water on both sides with a very narrow sketchy path to get through, I knew that the day would warm up and that was the only path to get home.

I carefully spudded out to my spot that I had previously fished in the spring and fall, in about 70 FOW. Started fishing at 7am and got my limit by 11am. The first 2 pictures are of the lake trout, 2 very good size eaters. I’ll get a length measurement on them later. I missed a tank on a huge jig’n rap, and today they just seemed to want minnows. Had lots of marks and couple more bites, but it was a fun day of fishing.

All throughout the day I was hearing cracks and felt the cracks through the ice. I was sitting on about 4 inches of ice.

After I filled my limit of lakers, I knew time was ticking, the ice was getting a bit soft from the sun at that point, and the open water was slowly eroding the only way back. The open water was growing so I quickly walked back tracing my steps and thankfully made it back safely.

I have lots of experience on the ice and, using an ice chisel. I have purposely “went in” to feel the shock of the cold water and make sure that I can safely “self rescue”. No ice is safe. Don’t attempt anything like this, it’s stupid and not worth it. I probably should have chosen a different lake, or headed back to Toronto. That being said, I did not fall into the ice, and everything worked out. This season is truly crazy.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Heavytruckerbud
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 07:00 pm

Smolt Trout

Laker #2

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Heavytruckerbud
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 07:02 pm

Smolt Trout

This is the narrow stretch of ice that had to be crossed in order to get back to the launch, you have open water on either side, and maybe about 2-3 inches of questionable ice.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 07:06 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

Nice lakers - need a canoe there in another couple days

PMEmail Poster
Heavytruckerbud
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 07:13 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Drew @ Mar 01, 2024 - 07:06 pm)

I really might be able to get on lakers from a boat or kayak before the March 15th close date.

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 07:24 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

Nice looking fish, nice fins. I certainly would not traverse that path haha. Glad you made it back. I’ll be out there somewhere tomorrow. We still have 7+ inches and yet to see the honeycomb in the black ice. Gonna pull a long day, 7am-7pm of fishing. Hope I catch some lunch.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 08:15 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Heavytruckerbud @ Mar 01, 2024 - 07:13 pm)

I really might be able to get on lakers from a boat or kayak before the March 15th close date.

NIce lakers.

PS: I thought lake trout in Muskoka area are open Jan 1 to Sep 30. There are no closed season from March 15 to mid May.... And whitefish are open all year round (no closed season)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Flukes
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 10:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15807

Looks so much like a spot I know on Lake of Bays...but the centre is actually open water.
Nice looking lakers. Good that all worked out and you didn't let the catching "addiction" keep you longer than planned.
Yes, the laker season should be open Jan. 1 to Sept. 30 in Muskoka (for most, if not all, lakes - not sure if there are any exceptions that closes on March 15 like on Simcoe but there are some exceptions that do not allow ice fishing for lakers in some small lakes).

PMEmail Poster
Heavytruckerbud
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 11:26 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Mar 01, 2024 - 08:15 pm)
QUOTE (Heavytruckerbud @ Mar 01, 2024 - 07:13 pm)

NIce lakers.

PS: I thought lake trout in Muskoka area are open Jan 1 to Sep 30. There are no closed season from March 15 to mid May.... And whitefish are open all year round (no closed season)

Wow I just saw that, I got it confused with Simcoe lol.

Perfect I’ll get my boat out early for more lakers, amazing!! Thank you

PMEmail Poster
Heavytruckerbud
Posted: Mar 02, 2024 - 12:06 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Flukes @ Mar 01, 2024 - 10:02 pm)
Looks so much like a spot I know on Lake of Bays...but the centre is actually open water.
Nice looking lakers. Good that all worked out and you didn't let the catching "addiction" keep you longer than planned.
Yes, the laker season should be open Jan. 1 to Sept. 30 in Muskoka (for most, if not all, lakes - not sure if there are any exceptions that closes on March 15 like on Simcoe but there are some exceptions that do not allow ice fishing for lakers in some small lakes).

Yes my mistake, got it confused with Simcoe. I’ll be on my boat chasing these lakers come ice out!

PMEmail Poster
Hunterman
Posted: Mar 02, 2024 - 10:01 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14832

Nice lakers!

PMEmail Poster
Heavytruckerbud
Posted: Mar 03, 2024 - 02:37 am

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Hunterman @ Mar 02, 2024 - 10:01 pm)
Nice lakers!

Thanks, was worth it!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: Mar 03, 2024 - 04:47 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3419

Nice outing thanks the report

PMEmail Poster
Heavytruckerbud
Posted: Mar 08, 2024 - 02:48 pm

Smolt Trout

QUOTE (Nuclear @ Mar 03, 2024 - 04:47 pm)
Nice outing thanks the report

Yup, I just got my boat ready now ?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!