» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Joe
simcoeslayer77
Posted: Feb 17, 2024 - 07:59 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10724

Had a late start today. I punched a hole last night at 10:30 when I got to the cottage in the middle of our shallow bay. I found 8 inches of mediocre ice. Still on the fence about taking out the sled. Got bait around 7:30 and decided I would walk out and pull the smitty as I had my son with me. Didn't get very far when he says "dad we should bring the snowmobile". So I ventured out with the auger following fresh quad and snowmobile tracks to my spot. I was very pleased to find 7 inches of the clearest ice I've seen in quite some time. Headed back, hooked up the otter resort and grabbed the boy. Got setup and now his feet are cold. Brought him back and grabbed the 20 lb propane tank. Dropped my first line and got a mark right away. Boom! He smashes the Goldmember Bunjo bug. Barely lipped him. Marked a few more and had 2 chase the tungsten jig head but came unbuttoned. I think the hooks are too small but they were definitely interested in it. Maybe set the hook too quick.
Wind picked up so I packed it in by 2:45. Back at in the am.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
simcoeslayer77
Posted: Feb 17, 2024 - 08:03 pm

Trophy Trout

Pic2

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
simcoeslayer77
Posted: Feb 17, 2024 - 08:04 pm

Trophy Trout

Pic3

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
simcoeslayer77
Posted: Feb 17, 2024 - 08:05 pm

Trophy Trout

7" of clear ice under 5" of snow

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
simcoeslayer77
Posted: Feb 17, 2024 - 08:08 pm

Trophy Trout

Mark

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
simcoeslayer77
Posted: Feb 17, 2024 - 08:09 pm

Trophy Trout

Great day

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Feb 17, 2024 - 11:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Nice fish. Cool to catch fish on something you made.

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: Feb 17, 2024 - 11:27 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3419

Great report the fish are a bonus thanks

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Feb 18, 2024 - 12:37 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Thats awesome Jay.....good to see the bugs are working.... and a great feeling for you as you made them....I see a new series of bugs coming on with bigger hooks for the whities and Lakers....and leave the others for perch grounds.......I will order a new set......lol.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Drew
Posted: Feb 18, 2024 - 05:55 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

Nice report and fish

Have you tried losing the snap and tying direct?

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: Feb 18, 2024 - 08:01 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

Awesome! Glad you’re out there! I tie my bugs direct to line, 4lb fluoro all the way. The clip you use would alter the action, possibly increase the perceived size of the bait, and not necessarily a problem at all! That difference in the action/size is just an alternate configuration. I find the way it “jiggles” can entice or scare the fish depending on the fish/day/conditions. That snap probably allows for a more wild jiggle if that makes sense. Definitely takes a hair trigger hook set hand. This method works great with spring bobber on the tip of the rod. I keep meaning to find mine but forget every time. Maybe I’ll sneak out this afternoon!

PMEmail Poster
Doral30
Posted: Feb 18, 2024 - 08:10 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 977

Mykola has a great point

Tie your line directly to the jig, no clip

It will make for better hook ups for sure

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Feb 18, 2024 - 08:37 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

good report. glad to see the bugs working, will be looking forward to trying my on panfish once it warms up a bit. those are the right size fish too.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Feb 18, 2024 - 11:16 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15807

QUOTE (mykola @ Feb 18, 2024 - 08:01 am)
Awesome!  Glad you’re out there!  I tie my bugs direct to line, 4lb fluoro all the way.  The clip you use would alter the action, possibly increase the perceived size of the bait, and not necessarily a problem at all!  That difference in the action/size is just an alternate configuration.  I find the way it “jiggles” can entice or scare the fish depending on the fish/day/conditions.  That snap probably allows for a more wild jiggle if that makes sense.  Definitely takes a hair trigger hook set hand.  This method works great with spring bobber on the tip of the rod.  I keep meaning to find mine but forget every time.  Maybe I’ll sneak out this afternoon!

I agree with this too. Another way to get the action without the extra hardware for skittish fish that do not want a larger profile is with a loop knot with the fluoro leader...have tried it and works well for tunstens and bugs but I have never been as confident in my loop knots for larger fish as compared to a Palomar or Trilene knots (panfish I feel fine with the loop knots). There are other finer wire snaps (or swivel snaps) that are strong enough for most whitefish and lakers and if you can get some good saltwater hardware, there is even more choice. The benefits of snaps of course is the ease of changing up lures compared to retying.
And of course, you can use larger fly clips in place of snaps if the changing of lures is important....I find the larger clips to be easier to use (some of the small ones are just too small to allow easy changing of lures at least with fingers).

PMEmail Poster
RAM3500
Posted: Feb 18, 2024 - 01:12 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11509

Beautiful pics. Nice that you had a great day.
May try Joe Friday.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!