Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> First kayak fish, unfortunately OOS bass
Flukes
Posted: May 03, 2024 - 11:18 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15807

Finally was able to get out kayak fishing for the first time yesterday on a local lake. New kayak (a Native Slayer 10' with pedal drive so my hands are free to fish) - I've used really good sea kayaks (Seaward) before so such boats are not completely new to me but the pedal drive was something new. Not a bad fishing machine and I enjoyed it alot. I would say a few modifications are in order (the steering mechanism is not very responsive with too much play but it can be fixed with some other mechanisms out there that should make it better but I am okay to use what I have now for a while before spending more money to change things). I was general moving at about 5-5.5 km/hr at comfortable cruising speed (in neoprene pants) but was able to hit >6km/h when I decided to see how fast I can move with the pedal drive. Without those restrictive pants (in the summer), my speeds will be faster (and maybe less sweaty
It was a nice calm day to test the yak out and get more familiar with it. Felt great, very stable and liked that my hands were free to do things most of the time I am moving.
Since it was a maiden voyage, I brought minimal gear and was more focused on getting comfy with the new boat.
I brought gear for whitefish and lakers but ended up only landing a nice healthy Muskokan SM bass about 2 lbs from about 30+ ft of water. It was lipped hooked on a single point of a treble so no real damaged done to it at all (or my fingers either - vibrados are dangerous )
Had another short hit that I suspect was a laker or whitefish but didn't hook up. And then another good chase without commitment before I had to pack up and get home.
Looking forward to the next excursion, maybe next week. Thanks Xiaolu for your help and information.

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: May 04, 2024 - 07:53 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Great write-up on testing out the new yak.

Sounds like a great fishing machine.

I am considering buying an entry level yak for fishing, because they seem so versatile and easy to use. But I already have 2 boats and can't really justify another. LOL..

I haven't had time to even use my boats lately, so that's another point for not buying anything.

Hopefully this year I get back in the saddle.

Cheers!

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: May 04, 2024 - 11:31 am

World Record Trout

Yup. Completely understand. I knew I wanted a pedal drive kayak (and I would highly recommend it) for fishing and being able to maintain your position better, esp. if you are fishing vertically in deeper water. I just didn't know how well the pedal drive system worked (better than I had expected). I would have passed on the kayak for another year if not for a great sale on this older (but brand new) model from a nearby store clearing inventory.
With a little one, I haven't fished much at all (over the last few years and I use to fish 2 or 3 times a week during most of the year) and all my fishing trips are quite short so has to be close by. Glad we now live up in Muskoka where there are lots of lakes and rivers within minutes driving and walking.
So I know completely what you mean about obtaining more stuff that you may not be able to use much (at least for now).
The kayak is also much easier for me to get onto/off the water quickly for a short fishing trip. Just have to find more time for even the short fishing trips...they will be coming (I hope)

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: May 04, 2024 - 07:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Thats great Flukes glad you got out and got the maiden run done. Hoping to do my maiden run this week as my 2 year build is now complete. Post some pics of that ride.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Flukes
Posted: May 05, 2024 - 01:11 am

World Record Trout

Thanks. Wished I had the know-how to do a fraction of what you have done with your kayak....pretty amazing stuff. For me, I wanted to make sure my fishing craft was as simple and low maintenance as possible so I don't have to put too much time into it and can just get out on the water for some simple fishing when I can find a couple of hours here and there. Too complex or too much maintenance and I would be doing even less fishing so it had to be something simple and quick to get going....and I plan to bring minimal fishing gear and tackle (at least for the near future...but we all know we will accumulate all kinds of stuff as we fish on and "think" we need to add more tackle, gear, equipment, etc. I am really going to try to keep to the bare minimum on this one...we'll see how long that lasts

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: May 05, 2024 - 01:12 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (longfish @ May 04, 2024 - 07:23 pm)
Thats great Flukes glad you got out and got the maiden run done. Hoping to do my maiden run this week as my 2 year build is now complete. Post some pics of that ride.

Arnie

and I am looking forward to seeing how your machine performs (along with fishing reports) when you do get her in the water and fishing away...soon.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: May 05, 2024 - 06:18 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

Glad you got out and had your maiden voyage finally. And I am sure you will enjoy more and more of this pedal drive kayak.

PS: Yesterday (Saturday May 4) I got out, too, and kayak fished "your" lake for two and a half hours, and landed two lakers (I just posted in the "Northern" forum:-)

Cheers

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: May 05, 2024 - 09:40 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Flukes @ May 05, 2024 - 01:12 am)

Arnie

and I am looking forward to seeing how your machine performs (along with fishing reports) when you do get her in the water and fishing away...soon.

That will be any day now, seat is moved back. I plan on building a bridge in front of me , the seat so far back that can't reach the toys but that will be done as I use it.....time to get. this Yak in the water.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xiaolu
Posted: May 05, 2024 - 09:43 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (longfish @ May 05, 2024 - 09:40 am)

Arnie

That will be any day now, seat is moved back. I plan on building a bridge in front of me , the seat so far back that can't reach the toys but that will be done as I use it.....time to get. this Yak in the water.

Arnie

And remember next Saturday (May 11) Simcoe laker and whitefish will be open again, so Go Fish Go:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: May 05, 2024 - 09:45 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ May 05, 2024 - 09:43 am)

Arnie

Arnie

And remember next Saturday (May 11) Simcoe laker and whitefish will be open again, so Go Fish Go:-)

Maybe one day soon all three of us can get out together.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xiaolu
Posted: May 05, 2024 - 09:55 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (longfish @ May 05, 2024 - 09:45 am)

Arnie

Arnie

Arnie

Yes!

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: May 05, 2024 - 06:45 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ May 05, 2024 - 09:55 am)
QUOTE (longfish @ May 05, 2024 - 09:45 am)

Arnie

Arnie

Arnie

Yes!

One yes to go....us Kayak rookies can learn a lot from you James....I have always followed you and adopted many things from what you do and how you do it. I hope you are listening Flukes.....Kayak 101 led by James. Plus a great time and safety in numbers.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Dangerfield
Posted: May 06, 2024 - 02:47 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16156

You've got yourself an awesome fishing platform, if you're noticing slop in your rudder handle, it might be worth an upgrade. Check out BerleyPro (https://www.berleypro.com/product-tag/native-watercraft), they have handle, rudder and internal upgrades for your kayak. You can find them on Amazon.ca too

I've purchased some 3D items from Yak Hobby (https://www.yakhobby.com/shop/native-slayer-max-12-5-2022-and-up-/60?page=1&limit=30&sort_by=category_order&sort_order=asc) but the shipping is very expensive as the other commenter posted buying from OneObjective.

I really wanted a Slayer Max 12 but ended up in a Recon 120 HD due to Covid/availability. I recommend taking a few outings before you start doing mods and adding accessories.

Borika is a Canadian company, you can find their gear at Peterborough Tackle, they have a captain's bridge that you were referring too or you can try the Bonafide version, but i suspect it'll be $$$$. You could probably DIY something too.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: May 09, 2024 - 11:44 pm

World Record Trout

Just quickly. Thanks for all the comments. Yes, fishing in numbers would be great. Part of the kayak is to learn more about them and maybe they can be useful for my work in the future...we'll see. Hopefully, I can find a way to call it a business expense as I tinker and test this thing out (IF it's a potential for use for future work, then it would be a larger version of what I have....have been looking at Hobies as well). So for sure, I would be in for a get together on some lake (even "my" and James' lake). My issue is availability to fish more than a couple of hours usually - my fishing trips are on the short side (and will be for a few more years to come) so has to be close to me to get more fishing time (and less travel time). I am also unavailable to fish until August-ish so will be reading how folks do for a while.
For sure, I have learned alot from James...both ice fishing and kayak selection. Met up with James here on "my" lake over the winter and he showed me how to catch whitefish...got two in under 5 min as I was walking towards him. I'd like to think that I was the one who brought the fish to him like the pied piper. At least I helped him land them.
Thanks Dangerfield for the info. Yes, I saw the recommendations to upgrade to BerleyPro. But like you said, I will wait to get much more familiar with my craft before changing anything. I can live with what I have now and things are new so no need to replace and toss anything yet. It would also give me an appreciation for how much better the BerleyPro set up is vs. what I have now the more I get a feel for how things are presently.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3