» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> NEW TO ICE FISHING, BRINGING MY SON
fathernature
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 11:43 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 5109

HI everyone. I'm new to ice fishing. Last time I did it I was a kid and the only thing I caught was nuemonia thanks to my dad. Turned me off till last year. Any ideas how to get my 9yr old interested in the sport. Any help would be appreciated. Focusing on perch I think would be good start. Any ideas what to use for him?

Wanting to make new memories with him.

PMEmail Poster
quadfather
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 11:54 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

Maybe start with a local operator. Make it as stress free as possible. If thats not in the cards then wait for the nicest day. I remember my dad taking me late season when I was 10 and I had the pleasure of walking right into a wide open hut hole..
No good. It would have been ok if the hut was there but it wasn't.. Very cold ride home..

PMEmail Poster
poidy
  Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 11:55 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4591

A nice day, lots of snacks, keep warm, go where you know there are perch to keep buzy, even if just for a hour, we are lucky and had huts for the kids on cold days, yeah they are hooked now

Fellas here have there young kids into it

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
fathernature
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 12:01 pm

Egg

thanks for the suggestions. I just don t want him to be turned off like i was and wasted all that precious time. yea I fell through the ice also but that was later in my early teens. was crossing kempenfelt from minets point to johnsons beach in barrie. just recently bought a sarus floatation suit. lol just in case.

PMEmail Poster
fathernature
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 12:03 pm

Egg

thanks very mush. I will definately use those suggestions. I really do appreciate the support

PMEmail Poster
quickme
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 12:04 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2663

I 2nd the recommendation with finding a local operator. Its much easier for you and him. Everything is taken care of for you and he gets a ride on a sled/argo. More time fishing and less time walking and worrying about him falling in. I would add ensure he wears a floatation device of some sort. Good to get him in the habit of doing that. Lots of snacks, NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES and a great time with dad. Can't beat it.

Enjoy and if you do go out take LOTS of pictures and post them here to share. Love seeing kids out.

Nick

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 12:10 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Welcome aboard fathernature, I would suggest a hut to start. Once they are cold they will get miserable and lose interest quickly. Once they hook a few and get excited about fishing then you can start trying different things as the interest is there now. I brought a portable DVD player out a couple of times when my son was that age, easy enough to fish and watch a movie at the same time if the fishing is slow and they soon forget about the movie when the fishing turns on. Keep it to hands free electronics though.

Good luck, great way to spend some father/son time together.

PMEmail Poster
fathernature
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 12:12 pm

Egg

Thanks nick. Great suggestions also. I just want to thank everyone. Never been on a forum before and I registered here this morning. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S INPUT to help me out to enjoy a positive experience with my son. This is a great forum. With everyone's input thanks to all of you we will have great memories for years to come

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 12:27 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

You have received some great points from the members heres my two cents:
Sight fishing/ looking down the hole is a source of entertainment and if your so lucky perhaps a simcoe gator will cruise bye
comfort food, keep one special item a surprise
Talk as much as you can and listen, make the day all about the child it's their trip not yours.
Enjoy they grow up fast and if it works out they will take you fishing.

PMEmail Poster
fathernature
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 12:36 pm

Egg

Everyone is offering great advice. what would be great bait/lure to usr to catch perch for him/us

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 12:48 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

My first go to for perch is a small rapala jig.

PMEmail Poster
Nish-fishin
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 01:10 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 19

Hey fathernature,
another good idea might be to sit down with him and watch some "good" (and thats the magic word) youtube videos of ice fishing and catching of perch and see how he reacts to that. Every winter for weeks ahead it always get me super excited,, but my wife just stares at me, laughs and says,,,,really???

PMEmail Poster
backwoodsmanbob
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 01:27 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 98

Great suggestions here but I would emphasis making it his day. you will be baiting his hooks, Try a pickeral rig, catch two at a time. After kids and grandkids I know this works soon they will be helping you out.

PMEmail Poster
ptmpete
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 04:54 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 112

QUOTE (backwoodsmanbob @ Dec 17, 2013 - 01:27 pm)
Try a pickeral rig, catch two at a time. X2

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 - 05:22 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

Definitely "Sight" fishing, There are some great operators on the "Lady" They will run you out dry and sometimes warm, Try for 10-15 FOW, work a jigging rap ,buckshot or plain minnows (which will probably be supplied)..And let him watch the show, with luck you'll have him hooked for life,with various sizes of perch coming and going ,you as well will get a kick from him and the perch....never ceases to entertain even those of us in the "Golden" (Rusty) years If any probs locating an operator give the board a shout and we'll try to help...

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!