Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Algonquin Fishin, Lakers, Whitefish, Suckers, Bass
mykola
Posted: May 13, 2023 - 04:21 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 13075

Went solo to the park this morning, Algonquin was calling me. Beautiful drive over, all the lakes were like glass, saw two foxes, one was chomping on a bunny, the fish were jumping, sun was shining, couldn’t ask for more. Arrive at the launch for 8:30, ghost town…. Only a fraction of the vehicles I usually see and nobody around. Loaded up and in the boat on the water for 8:45. Putted out to a rocky mid lake shoal that breaches the surface, and parked my boat in 35fow….. the bottom 10ft appears to be bait, with some larger markers dipping in around 10-15 under the boat, so down goes the vibrato all the way to bottom, tap it a few times, then reel up to 15ft, slam! Slam! Slam! By 9:45 I had 7 lake trout all slamming 10-15ft under the boat, then they all disappeared. All the trout were 18-19” and all released. Wind now picked up something fierce, I wanted to get to the rapids at the opposite end of the lake and decided to go now (10:15ish) before the lake got too rough. So off I went, arrive at the rapids and everything is in shadows I can’t see the fish sun the main flow, so I cast in and instantly nail a nice 3–4lb smallmouth, promptly released, I switch from the rapala J5 to a 1” Williams spoon I’ve modified as a spinner, and start tossing into the shallows hoping for a brookie…. I snagged a sucker, released, then I had a follow of a gaggle of small brookies, one tap no hookset. Kept at it, another sucker! This one was a bigger one and actually chased and hit the spoon, I thought for sure it was a brookie… dang. Kept fishing, snagged another sucker, released, and decided to head back out to the lake as the wind kept getting more and more vicious…. And lake I was in is notorious for big waves…. And of course… there were some very big waves…. It was a rough ride back up the lake, so I took refuge behind an island for lunch and started jigging in 65fow as I had many marks on bottom…. Landed 3 more lakers, 2 around 16” and one was maybe 5”. Lost three in that spot before finally hooking the elusive Algonquin Whitefish. Much smaller than the whitefish I usually get in other lakes, and it was really neat to see. Promptly released after a quick photo. The lake finally calmed and back to launch I went and now I’m home. Great day of catch and release, can’t wait to try a new lake next time. Keep fishing on.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: May 13, 2023 - 04:24 pm

World Record Trout

What you looking at sucka! Must have flossed him like a salmon?!?

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: May 13, 2023 - 04:26 pm

World Record Trout

Male sucker…. Ask me how I know lol

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: May 13, 2023 - 04:28 pm

World Record Trout

And the whitefish. I’m sure there are bigger ones in here.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: May 13, 2023 - 07:05 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

sounds like a great day, to bad brookies didn't want to play.

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: May 13, 2023 - 08:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

Nice Laker they look healthy in the park !!!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
crappeeeman
Posted: May 14, 2023 - 01:54 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Perfect day.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: May 16, 2023 - 12:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 8190

Nice outing Mykola. The lakers are doing well in there for sure, I caught a bunch last summer when I stopped there for a few hours. Never caught a whitey there. And I can attest to the wind this past weekend - made for a tough go in the canoe

PMEmail Poster
chazD
Posted: May 16, 2023 - 03:06 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 11172

Great job and nice report

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: May 19, 2023 - 10:50 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Great multi-species outing. Well done..

Sounds like a successful and fun outing.

The Laker action was nice, but I even the suckers are fun, a pull is a pull.. LOL

Thanks for the report, enjoyable read...

PS: Looks like that sucker is missing part of it's tail, something tried to eat it.
Otter I assume...

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!