Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> .410, @ Cabelas
stinkbait
Posted: Feb 23, 2024 - 02:38 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 14782

#7.5 shot available online as of today (23.Feb).

I know a lot of you guys have been waiting on .410 availability so here's a heads up. Im after #4 Shot if anyone ever sees any available let me know. Thanks!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Feb 25, 2024 - 09:31 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 656

wow $35 a box how crazy is that? With such a shortage and huge demand why hasn't anyone been able to crank up production 24/7 to fill the void?

PMEmail Poster
bite me
Posted: Feb 25, 2024 - 10:47 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 256

I saw that Rangeview in Newmarked had some in stock a couple weeks ago. I'd call first though.

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Feb 25, 2024 - 04:41 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

35 a box. my buddy is reloading all the hulls I gave him. He figures pretty much under 10 a box. So how much it cost a company that buys in bulk and mass produces them, I bet a lot less then my buddies 10.

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Feb 25, 2024 - 06:47 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Feb 25, 2024 - 04:41 pm)
35 a box. my buddy is reloading all the hulls I gave him. He figures pretty much under 10 a box. So how much it cost a company that buys in bulk and mass produces them, I bet a lot less then my buddies 10.

its not so much the price I question its getting them made. Typically if an item can't be kept on the shelf companies will ramp up production so what gives? Heck setting up people on a reloader and manually cranking them out should be an option. Is it no body wiling to work or what?

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 04:06 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

must be my lucky day, stopped at local shop to look at 20ga. Checked out their guns than over to the shells to see how much they were, 18 a box. then out of the blue I laughed and asked for .410 shells. He say want 1. I didn't believe him so I said not buy a gun to get 1 box as I know thats the deal. He goes no have a couple boxes but you can have 1. So bought it and confirmed I need a 20ga, with tax 39.50.

Then when to local reserve as buddy text me saying it Indian toco day so said I'd be there in 40. After that checked ramp, it now open of ice so time to uncover boat. While that way stopped at another shop to look at 20ga and his price for shells. So since asking seemed to work at the other shop I asked again and he brought up a box of .410 shells.

So now I have almost 4 full boxes of .410 3" #6. his were 4 bucks cheaper, which is normal. So now I have to sell a couple guns so I can buy one of those 20ga. I have a rule now that if I want a new gun I have to get rid of at least 1.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Mar 10, 2024 - 09:18 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3521

QUOTE (finsfurfeathers @ Feb 25, 2024 - 06:47 pm)
35 a box.  my buddy is reloading all the hulls I gave him.  He figures pretty much under 10 a box.  So how much it cost a company that buys in bulk and mass produces them, I bet a lot less then my buddies 10.

its not so much the price I question its getting them made. Typically if an item can't be kept on the shelf companies will ramp up production so what gives? Heck setting up people on a reloader and manually cranking them out should be an option. Is it no body wiling to work or what?

My understanding is the same plant will run production on ammo for different gauges, but not at the same time. They might run a years worth of .410 in a month, then convert back over.
It's all automated.. having someone load manually (and paying them for it) would slow production and increase cost.

There's a lot going on in the ammo industry that isn't good for the consumer.
A conglomerate named Vista Corp. purchased, and effectively merged Federal, CCI, Remington, & Environmetal.. then sold off the asset to a Czech company in the fall.

Prices have gone up almost 100% in the last couple years. In the beginning it was Covid, supply chain, yadda yadda yadda...
Prices are still going up. And will continue to do so.

Go ahead and sell a couple guns to buy a 20ga because the shells are cheaper. In a couple years you'll be selling the 20, too.

Only way to really keep cost down is to load your own.

PMEmail Poster
finsfurfeathers
Posted: Mar 12, 2024 - 07:17 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Northhunter @ Mar 10, 2024 - 09:18 pm)
35 a box.  my buddy is reloading all the hulls I gave him.  He figures pretty much under 10 a box.  So how much it cost a company that buys in bulk and mass produces them, I bet a lot less then my buddies 10.

Would gladly load my own but don't shoot enough to realize any savings buying my own equipment. Would patron a business, in the same vein as them brew your own beer/wine shops, that would set up the equipment and you pay for the reloads you do.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Mar 13, 2024 - 09:39 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3521

QUOTE (finsfurfeathers @ Mar 12, 2024 - 07:17 pm)
QUOTE (Northhunter @ Mar 10, 2024 - 09:18 pm)

Would gladly load my own but don't shoot enough to realize any savings buying my own equipment. Would patron a business, in the same vein as them brew your own beer/wine shops, that would set up the equipment and you pay for the reloads you do.

You don't really need equipment. You can buy a roll crimp tool for about $30.
It chucks into a drill (hand will work, press is better).
A small scale to weigh shot/powder and components is all you need after that. You can buy new, primed hulls for about 25 cents each.

If you're loading .410, you'll beat the price per box pretty easy.

Or if you really want to re-use fired hulls you can buy a Lee Load-All for $100 to deprime / resize / re-crimp.

It will be more appealing when $35 / box becomes $50. Sadly it's not if, but when.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3