ยป Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Targeting Suspended Walleye Part 2
crappeeeman
Posted: Aug 29, 2024 - 03:51 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 18589

QUOTE (InformativeAngling @ Aug 29, 2024 - 11:48 am)
QUOTE (iplaay @ Aug 29, 2024 - 12:20 pm)
Neat how you overlaid the live scope over your video. That makes if fun to watch.

Can't believe how fast you get the fish to the net after hook up. Those fish over 25" take me minutes to land. You do it in seconds and it doesn't seem to me as if it was edited.

Looking forward to more videos.

Im glad the overlaying turned out okay! And yes the fish get in the boat QUICK! Its always alot more fun to baby a fish, let it run, have some fun, but doing this gives them more opportunity to get off. Giving them a good hookset to get those hooks through their bony mouths is crucial, and once thats done they are not getting off UNLESS you give them the chance. If you watch the NWT alot of the time guys get fish even bigger than this in the boat just as quick! With single hooks especially there should be no worry of the fish popping off if you really keep that tension, but obviously only take it as far as your equipment can handle, in these clips I am using 12 fluorocarbon leader with 12lb braid so snapping off isnt a concern!

Agreed, with single hooks the walleye should not pop off. As he said keep that tension, keep your hands and rod at your chest. Rod tip up and when the walleye shakes its head, let the drag do its job. Suspended big walleye at 20 to 25 feet down should take 30 seconds or less from hook set to the net. In general a walleye will run up vertical in the water depth he was setting the hook at, so as he said keep the tension on. In shallow water 4 to 10 feet where I catch most of my walleye in the Kawarthas, it's a direction change. A big walleye 25 to 30 inches or bigger will run horizontal generally away from the boat. This may take a few more seconds to get to the net, as big walleye will try a short run side to side two or three times. And monster walleye will run 4 or 5 times. I always get them to the net as quick as possible so the fish have more energy to survive after being released. If you are fishing alone, put the net in the water and lead the walleye in and lift. Scooping a big walleye alone is not the best idea. There is some power in that tail that the fish saves for one last chance at escape at the net. And everyone should have a good quality rubber net. Rubber nets are far safer for the fish, and tangle much, much less.

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: Aug 29, 2024 - 07:04 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9792

Spot on crappeeeman!!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!