Kayak Anglers Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 > »»   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Building a fishing kayak, with a Minnkota Ulterra
longfish
Posted: Dec 31, 2021 - 12:33 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10648

I finally got the trolling motor narrowed down today. Purchased a Minkota Ulterra 45 inch shaft with 80# thrust, auto deploy/stow, Auto pilot and link to my Helix 10 Hummingbird, Motor has built in Transducer with down and side imaging, spot lock and it will navigate on it's own following a track on the GPS or follow a direction or contour or head for a weigh point, regardless of wind or waves. So the Kayak will basically drive its self hands and feet free.

I also found a great mounting bracket for it. A bow mount base. To that I will attach the brick and a quick release bracket. I plan on using it between the Kayak and the tinny.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Smilee
Posted: Dec 31, 2021 - 08:28 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11276

Great purchase, you’ll enjoy it!!!!

PMEmail Poster
Fozzy47
Posted: Dec 31, 2021 - 09:07 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 18006

What a perfect combo. an Ulterra 80 lb connected to a Helix 10 graph. Just tell it where you want to go, then just fish. Perfect.

Still saving for that combo....lol..

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Dec 31, 2021 - 04:05 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

you are going to really enjoy that setup. I have the same motor and size, it has increased my fishing 10 fold. no more getting up to lift motor to just go a couple hundred yards or if it rough you more crawling up on the casting deck. the spot lock is the other feature that I use all the time no more anchor and if fish move a little you just give a couple taps on the control and you are on them again.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Dec 31, 2021 - 07:28 pm

World Record Trout

Thanks everyone......yes yes yes......for all the reasons you mentioned I went with that model......only disappointment was I wanted all those features in a riptide as I do some salt water....not available without losing auto store /deploy and I wanted that bad so when I saltwater fish will just have to take prop off after every time I fish and rinse lower end.

Apparently they are backlogged on that model but due to the very short shaft it may be in stock......I want it for the Spring salmon in Lake O.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Jan 03, 2022 - 10:33 pm

World Record Trout

The good news was buying it....the bad news was it wont be here till March which means less time to attach it to the kayak.......Also bought a Fish Hawk X4D today......that may take some innovation to mount on the kayak but never the less will get use on the tinny.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Mar 19, 2022 - 08:53 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (longfish @ Jan 03, 2022 - 10:33 pm)
The good news was buying it....the bad news was it wont be here till March which means less time to attach it to the kayak.......Also bought a Fish Hawk X4D today......that may take some innovation to mount on the kayak but never the less will get use on the tinny.

Arnie

Its mid March and checked this past week and Ulterra trolling motor is still not in......grrrrr

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Apr 10, 2022 - 08:42 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (longfish @ Mar 19, 2022 - 08:53 pm)
QUOTE (longfish @ Jan 03, 2022 - 10:33 pm)

Arnie

Its mid March and checked this past week and Ulterra trolling motor is still not in......grrrrr

Arnie

Now mid April and still no trolling motor.....double grrrrr....looks like my kayak salmon fishing won't start until summer at this rate.

If any of you want a trolling motor for the start of next season I suggest you order now.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
sabmgb
Posted: Apr 10, 2022 - 08:58 pm

World Record Trout

I couldn't find my remote for my ulterra and checked to see how much would it cost me to replaced and they don't have any in stock. Good thing I finally opened my eyes and found it.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Apr 12, 2022 - 11:53 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (sabmgb @ Apr 10, 2022 - 08:58 pm)
I couldn't find my remote for my ulterra and checked to see how much would it cost me to replaced and they don't have any in stock. Good thing I finally opened my eyes and found it.

You can also download a app to your phone and use it as your remote.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
sabmgb
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 - 11:50 am

World Record Trout

longfish, i read something about that, that might be a useful thing.

PMEmail Poster
xcaddis
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 - 07:05 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 18613

QUOTE (longfish @ Dec 31, 2021 - 01:33 am)
I finally got the trolling motor narrowed down today. Purchased a Minkota Ulterra 45 inch shaft with 80# thrust, auto deploy/stow, Auto pilot and link to my Helix 10 Hummingbird, Motor has built in Transducer with down and side imaging, spot lock and it will navigate on it's own following a track on the GPS or follow a direction or contour or head for a weigh point, regardless of wind or waves. So the Kayak will basically drive its self hands and feet free.

I also found a great mounting bracket for it. A bow mount base. To that I will attach the brick and a quick release bracket. I plan on using it between the Kayak and the tinny.

Do you have a link to the mounting bracket? I am thinking of getting a similar setup for my Pro Angler 14 but haven't found any type of mounting bracket.

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 - 08:41 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (xcaddis @ Apr 13, 2022 - 07:05 pm)

Do you have a link to the mounting bracket? I am thinking of getting a similar setup for my Pro Angler 14 but haven't found any type of mounting bracket.

Here is the link....https://www.oneobjectivebf.com/#/

I had to beg him to ship one to Canada but now that he has he may be more willing to ship. It was a expensive ordeal...the bracket was 236 USD and shipping was almost as much but bracket fits great and is solid and takes very little time to mount it. Good luck.

I am going to take it apart next winter and get a similar bracket made out of aluminium as a backup in case it ever fails.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xcaddis
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 - 08:56 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 18613

QUOTE (longfish @ Apr 13, 2022 - 09:41 pm)
QUOTE (xcaddis @ Apr 13, 2022 - 07:05 pm)

Here is the link....https://www.oneobjectivebf.com/#/

I had to beg him to ship one to Canada but now that he has he may be more willing to ship. It was a expensive ordeal...the bracket was 236 USD and shipping was almost as much but bracket fits great and is solid and takes very little time to mount it. Good luck.

I am going to take it apart next winter and get a similar bracket made out of aluminium as a backup in case it ever fails.

Arnie

Thanks! I have a mailbox in NY so I will probably just ship there.

Cheers,

Jason

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 - 09:19 pm

World Record Trout

Thats perfect Jason. I just went out to the garage and took some more detailed pics and will post them shortly.

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 > »»  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3