Member No.: 10648

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 01, 2022 - 07:38 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

Thanks.

What does this mean? My kayak is dry with no water whatsoever (as I just drove from home to parking lot about 50 yard from launch), and I am ready to move/drag the kayak for 50 yard from the parking lot to the launch, and for this move/drag I must un-screw and remove the drain plug from the kayak (for what purpose?:-)?

Thanks

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 12:19 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Jan 01, 2022 - 07:38 pm)
Thanks.

What does this mean? My kayak is dry with no water whatsoever (as I just drove from home to parking lot about 50 yard from launch), and I am ready to move/drag the kayak for 50 yard from the parking lot to the launch, and for this move/drag I must un-screw and remove the drain plug from the kayak (for what purpose?:-)?

Thanks

In case you have water in there James.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 07:56 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (longfish @ Jan 02, 2022 - 12:19 am)
Thanks.

Thanks

In case you have water in there James.

Arnie

Ok thanks Arnie. So even if I know there is no water in my kayak...:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Lazinator
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 08:56 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

Thanks.

Thanks

It means that the drain plug must be out while you are transporting your kayak.
That 50 yard drag is launching, so drain plug in is ok, but it needs to be out when you drive away from the lake (and when you drive to the lake as well).

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 09:44 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Lazinator @ Jan 02, 2022 - 08:56 am)
Thanks.

Thanks

It means that the drain plug must be out while you are transporting your kayak.
That 50 yard drag is launching, so drain plug in is ok, but it needs to be out when you drive away from the lake (and when you drive to the lake as well).

Thanks.

I just searched the entire "2022 Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary" PDF file, but could not find any reference to/mention of KAYAK with regard to this rule:-). See pic below.

PS: I am talking about the link Arnie/OP provided which has:

"Boaters – including canoe and kayak users – now must take extra precautions when moving watercraft over land. They cannot move their boat unless drain plugs and other devices used to control drainage of water and equipment have been opened and removed."

Yet this is what I found from latest Ontario Fishing Regulations Summary (no mention of kayak):

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 10:12 am

World Record Trout

Or perhaps I need to look through the latest not FISHING but BOATING regulations?

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Lazinator
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 10:22 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Jan 02, 2022 - 10:12 am)
Or perhaps I need to look through the latest not FISHING but BOATING regulations?

A kayak is a watercraft.

PMEmail Poster
Gone4Fishn
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 10:35 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13018

I don't think this applies to a kayak.
Are there any kayak that has a drain plug below the water line and at the stern?

My kayak drain plug is located above the water line and transport my kayak side up.
So, on a rainy day.. I would be collecting more rain water in the kayak.

Even if I transport the kayak upside down.. there is no way to drain the water during transport with open drain plug because the drain plug is not at the stern.

I think this is more for boat. When I put my boat back on the trailer and open the drain plug. Water drains during transport.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 12:59 pm

World Record Trout

One thing I am not sure is:

On the deck of a sit-on-top kayak, there are many drain plugs typically around 4 to 6 (mine has 8), and there is also one at back of the stern.

Does this law mean, during transporting a kayak, I need to unplug and remove all of the above 8 drain plugs, or just the one at stern, see pic below (drain plug at stern):

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 01:05 pm

World Record Trout

Or see picks below: all drain plugs on kayak deck needs to be removed during transport?

(sorry for so many posts here but I do think I need to get this fully understood:-)

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 07:30 pm

World Record Trout

Kayak is a watercraft....I would think if a Officer stops you with only one plug undone.....and he undoes one that releases any water you may have an issue. Depends on how the CO would call it I guess. I am only surmising James. I have 2 plugs on my Hobie and I will undo them both under travel and do them up on the launch.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 08:28 pm

World Record Trout

Thanks Arnie.

Somehow I was more thinking about the drain plug at my kayak's stern (see pick below) which functions the same as what the drain plug on a big boat is for? I mean instead of those multiple drain plugs on the kayak deck?

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterYahoo
longfish
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 11:02 pm

World Record Trout

Oh you are talking about the scupper plugs.....no scuppers are ok unless you have water resting on top of the kayak.....but yes definitely the stern plug to release any water there may be inside the kayak. The idea is that you dont transfer any water or vegetation or tiny life that may be contained in the water to another body of water......that is what they are trying to achieve.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
xiaolu
Posted: Jan 02, 2022 - 11:21 pm

World Record Trout

Ok thanks again Arnie. Now I realized I used the wrong word. Those plugs on a kayak deck are scupper plugs, not drain plug. So my kayak just has one drain plug (at stern), and this drain plug is the one that needs to be removed while transporting the kayak. That is, there is no need to remove those scupper plugs while transporting the kayak (but of course we need to make sure there are no water on the kayak deck).

PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3