» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Windy Lake Trout, Haliburton Golds
Kushog
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 - 06:18 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 13099

Nice catch!

PMEmail Poster
Hunterman
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 - 07:59 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14832

What a great day fishing!!!!

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 - 09:36 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

QUOTE (Flukes @ Apr 21, 2024 - 08:26 pm)
Now those size of lakers, I would consider eating too.
A clarification. You said that you fishing buddy used a piece of smelt. What kind of piece? Also, I was always told that no smelt (dead or alive could be used as bait - I have never dived into this too deeply since there are other baits that can be used but always thought they would make good bait ...because the fish are eating them). Clearly, your buddy thinks it's legal to use a piece. Do you know for sure using a piece is legal? I am curious just in case, in the future I hit the smelt run up here then I can can keep pieces (like heads and eyeballs) from cleaning them to use as bait. I hate having to toss things that can be used, esp., if they are good bait.

Flukes you can us dead smelt as bait in all but a couple of zones.

Taken from the MNR site

“ Never buy or use live rainbow smelt as bait; it’s against the law. Dead rainbow smelt may be used as bait in Ontario except in Fisheries Management Zones 2, 4, 5 and 6, excluding Lake Nipigon and its tributaries, Nipigon River, Jessie lake, Lake Helen, and Polly Lake (see Fishing), where it is illegal to use them or possess them as bait.”

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 - 10:09 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

QUOTE (Flukes @ Apr 21, 2024 - 08:26 pm)
Now those size of lakers, I would consider eating too.
A clarification. You said that you fishing buddy used a piece of smelt. What kind of piece? Also, I was always told that no smelt (dead or alive could be used as bait - I have never dived into this too deeply since there are other baits that can be used but always thought they would make good bait ...because the fish are eating them). Clearly, your buddy thinks it's legal to use a piece. Do you know for sure using a piece is legal? I am curious just in case, in the future I hit the smelt run up here then I can can keep pieces (like heads and eyeballs) from cleaning them to use as bait. I hate having to toss things that can be used, esp., if they are good bait.

Keep the heads for spoon jigging, or for the eyeballs to tip my Simcoe bug. Some of these smelt were barely 2” (heads off) and either half or a whole one.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 - 03:39 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 19120

Braving the winds paid off!

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 - 04:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15901

that some good fishn there. buddy and I out this morning on st clair river, zero when we started with light winds, 2 hours later winds were up to about 30k. we got 1 walleye and pretty much everyone else we talked to had 1 or 2. Has to warm up.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 - 09:00 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15807

Thanks Disco and Mykola for that info. Now, I have a new bait option up here. Now, the question is how/where do you get smelt that small? At least I can use the head or eyeballs for tipping. I am hoping to get some smelt soon around here.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Apr 23, 2024 - 05:16 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

Beautiful fish.

PS: I didn't get chance to fish this past weekend (which is quite rare for me actually :-). Saturday was busy preparing son's wedding this coming Saturday, and Sunday was too windy so didn't bother to head out...

PMEmail PosterYahoo
mykola
Posted: Apr 23, 2024 - 08:09 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Apr 23, 2024 - 05:16 am)
Beautiful fish.

PS: I didn't get chance to fish this past weekend (which is quite rare for me actually :-). Saturday was busy preparing son's wedding this coming Saturday, and Sunday was too windy so didn't bother to head out...

Lots of rain this weekend, but 20c and very warm. Looks great Sunday.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Apr 23, 2024 - 08:46 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

QUOTE (Flukes @ Apr 22, 2024 - 09:00 pm)
Thanks Disco and Mykola for that info. Now, I have a new bait option up here. Now, the question is how/where do you get smelt that small? At least I can use the head or eyeballs for tipping. I am hoping to get some smelt soon around here.

IDK where to get super small smelt but I am sure you could use strips like you do with herring for salmon.

I took a bunch of the big smelt I caught and filleted them and brined them to try while trolling meat rigs.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Apr 23, 2024 - 09:58 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (mykola @ Apr 23, 2024 - 08:09 am)
Beautiful fish.

Yes I am hoping this coming Sunday I could get out and fish (if I don't get too drunk Saturday night, that is:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Longshank
Posted: Apr 23, 2024 - 12:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Apr 23, 2024 - 09:58 am)
QUOTE (mykola @ Apr 23, 2024 - 08:09 am)
Beautiful fish.

Yes I am hoping this coming Sunday I could get out and fish (if I don't get too drunk Saturday night, that is:-)

the odds are high that you wiil get high

back to the trout........now that is my preferred eater size also......sure it's fun to catch bigger, but the table fare is way better with smaller legal ones imo

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
metalbuckle
Posted: May 04, 2024 - 07:25 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Well done, toughing it out, and what a reward. Beautiful fish, perfect eater size.

Well done! Thanks for the report and pictures.

Cheers!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!