» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Whitefish Quest New Lake, Every Fish = new PB
Drew
Posted: May 06, 2024 - 05:27 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8190

Wow that’s epic whitefishin’! Congrats on those beauties

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: May 06, 2024 - 05:54 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7520

Very nice!

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: May 06, 2024 - 10:44 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Now those are Whitefish.....Nice going Nick.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Fishnhunt
Posted: May 07, 2024 - 05:41 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

What a great day out and good on you guys for getting together to explore a new/old lake and being rewarded with epic fishing. Enjoy the fillets.

PMEmail Poster
Hunterman
Posted: May 07, 2024 - 09:11 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14832

Wow that’s some super luck!

PMEmail Poster
mastercaster1
Posted: May 08, 2024 - 07:33 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11395

QUOTE (Mike33 @ May 06, 2024 - 09:48 am)
An unbelievable day that exceeded my highest expectations. This trip had been a long time coming, with our hope that the old remnant population of whitefish remained. As it turned out, they had been there all along. Credit to Nicholas for maintaining the belief that we would find them and making it happen. The average size of the whitefish caught were 25" and 5-7lbs.

Wow what a great day! what do you guys mean by a remnant population? Are these fish that were stocked and do not spawn? Why would there not be multiple year classes? Jusr curious?

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: May 08, 2024 - 08:13 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

QUOTE (mastercaster1 @ May 08, 2024 - 07:33 am)
An unbelievable day that exceeded my highest expectations. This trip had been a long time coming, with our hope that the old remnant population of whitefish remained. As it turned out, they had been there all along. Credit to Nicholas for maintaining the belief that we would find them and making it happen. The average size of the whitefish caught were 25" and 5-7lbs.

Wow what a great day! what do you guys mean by a remnant population? Are these fish that were stocked and do not spawn? Why would there not be multiple year classes? Jusr curious?

These are all natural fish.
That’s a question for a biologist. I’m basing this on rumours of collapse in the whitefish population on the lake, from multiple sources including anglers and former surveyors of the lakes. But I’m no expert and a professional opinion I would certainly take over my assumptions.

PMEmail Poster
mslovak
Posted: May 08, 2024 - 09:43 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3573

Those are some nice looking fish! Are you jigging for them or live bait? I go up to Green stone area every August and have found out that a lake we fish for Walleye also has white fish. We tried to target them last year but did not get any. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: May 08, 2024 - 01:13 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 19120

QUOTE (mastercaster1 @ May 08, 2024 - 07:33 am)

For context, my family cottage is located on this lake and for the last 5 years or so I’ve been working on gathering any information I can find on the coldwater species. The MNRF stock the lake annually with lake trout, likely to bolster the natural population (the lake itself is just under 500ha). As Nicholas mentioned, the lake was once known for its abundant whitefish and cisco fishery but has overgone many changes since then, largely due to increased angling pressure and shoreline development. The hope is there are a variety of age classes still present although our sample size from Saturday were consistently ~25” likely fish at least 12 years or older. My goal is to find the whitefish from a younger age glass and search for other places they may be concentrated in the lake.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: May 08, 2024 - 01:18 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 19120

QUOTE (mslovak @ May 08, 2024 - 09:43 am)
Those are some nice looking fish! Are you jigging for them or live bait? I go up to Green stone area every August and have found out that a lake we fish for Walleye also has white fish. We tried to target them last year but did not get any. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike, we were looking for them around the 30’-60’ range but passed over deeper water as well. This time of year they are likely shallower but if you’re looking for them in August they would probably be deeper. We were vertical jigging with soft plastic minnow imitations and vibratos. The majority of the fish we marked were suspended.

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted: May 08, 2024 - 02:22 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

Wow! That's a hot bite,well done!

PMEmail Poster
mslovak
Posted: May 09, 2024 - 02:05 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3573

Thanks for the tips!

Mike

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: May 09, 2024 - 02:17 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9792

Well done gentlemen, looks like you guys had an awesome day!!!

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: May 09, 2024 - 11:49 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15807

Glad you guys found the whiteys on that lake. I passed a sign that points to that lake every week over the winter and always thought it would be good to give that lake a try someday but there is never any time. I was looking at a house in that area before ending up up here in Muskoka. That first whitey must have been a great feeling to know they are still in there and to get such large fish too! Hope you find the cisco in that lake as well. It is concerning to see only large whiteys though. Hopefully, there are younger cohorts in that lake as well.

PMEmail Poster
Andy14
Posted: May 12, 2024 - 04:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7784

Simply WOW

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!