» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Another good day for brookies !, Last day guiding John
Hookemhard
Posted: May 28, 2024 - 08:14 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 20524

Thank you very much for sharing that was wonderful congratulations on the catch

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: May 28, 2024 - 08:44 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3419

Seems like a great trip thanks for sharing

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: May 28, 2024 - 11:28 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 13620

Just got a chance to check out both videos looks like a great time! I think it’s great that you’re always venturing in to those lakes. We’ll be doing the same in July on a remote bass lake camping for a few days. Even if the fishing ends up being a bust the adventure makes it all worth while.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: May 28, 2024 - 03:24 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

that was an awesome da/weekend. those are such healthy looking brookies

I got to get up there before my old bones won't let me

thanks for another great story and video

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
sparky302
Posted: May 28, 2024 - 07:45 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

QUOTE (Longshank @ May 28, 2024 - 03:24 pm)
that was an awesome da/weekend. those are such healthy looking brookies

I got to get up there before my old bones won't let me

thanks for another great story and video

Thanks longshank if you decide to come up let me know i may have a free day if your in the area.

Limacharley
Posted: May 30, 2024 - 11:32 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11791

That's a lot of meat Curt. Congrats.

Your videos are well done.

chazD
Posted: May 30, 2024 - 09:10 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 11172

Very nice, you're definitely dialed in on them.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jun 02, 2024 - 05:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

Awesome video and pictures. Some beautiful speckles onthat stringer. Thanks for sharing.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jun 05, 2024 - 09:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (sparky302 @ May 28, 2024 - 05:43 am)
QUOTE (Knuguy @ May 27, 2024 - 08:33 pm)
Wow---what nice fish. Looks like you have it all figured out pretty well. What were you using for bait or lure with the gang trolls. Are those trout stocked or natural?

Thx

I was running a full worm 18 inches behind the troll.
Water temp was 64 on the surface so i knew they could be deeper so i added 1 oz weight at the front with the rudder of troll.
Using my line counter reel i let out 54 feet of line.
Had my handheld gps for speed and varied from 1.7 mph to 2 mph.
This lake is a stocked lake about a 12 km ride by atv.

Thx for that. Wow Quite detailed. You must keep a very detailed log.

If you don't mind a bit of hijacking, I would like to understand stocking a bit better. I am not sure what the goals of MNRF's stocking program are. There are 3 small waterbodies in my area that seem to be strictly put and take. In one small lake there are a couple of deep holes that specks could possibly survive in but the other 2 ponds are quite small and shallow. They get swarmed on opening day, or so I am told. I stay well away as it seems to be quite the circus. The lakes that you fish seem to have an environment that lets them live long enough to grow into the lunkers that you catch. Is MNRF stocking those lakes in the hopes that the speck population will become self sustaining?
thx

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Jun 06, 2024 - 05:32 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Jun 05, 2024 - 09:26 pm)
Wow---what nice fish. Looks like you have it all figured out pretty well. What were you using for bait or lure with the gang trolls. Are those trout stocked or natural?

Thx

Water temp was 64 on the surface so i knew they could be deeper so i added 1 oz weight at the front with the rudder of troll.

If you don't mind a bit of hijacking, I would like to understand stocking a bit better. I am not sure what the goals of MNRF's stocking program are. There are 3 small waterbodies in my area that seem to be strictly put and take. In one small lake there are a couple of deep holes that specks could possibly survive in but the other 2 ponds are quite small and shallow. They get swarmed on opening day, or so I am told. I stay well away as it seems to be quite the circus. The lakes that you fish seem to have an environment that lets them live long enough to grow into the lunkers that you catch. Is MNRF stocking those lakes in the hopes that the speck population will become self sustaining?
thx

Knuguy this is from MNRF Sudbury

Wayne is now retired i use to chat with him lots but this well give you an answer to to question
believe there are 4 strains currently in the provincial hatchery system: the Hills Lake domestic strain (a very old domesticated strain), the Lake Nipigon wild strain, a hybrid of the two (Lake Nipigon X Hills Lake), and most recently a Dixon Lake wild strain from Algonquin Park believed to be more tolerant of warmer water. The Dixon Lake strain is not widely available for stocking.

In Sudbury we stock mainly the Lake Nipigon X Hills Lake hybrid. They tend to grow faster and produce a better put-grow-take fishery. And, yes I have seen them exceed one pound in their first year (2 years of age as they are stocked at one year old), achieve 3 pounds in 2 years, 5 in 3 years. They rarely live beyond age 5 or 4 years after stocking. If we are trying to establish a self-sustaining population we occasionally use the Lake Nipigon wild strain although the hybrid strain will also establish if conditions are suitable.

Any other question feel free to ask.

Regards,

Wayne

rivermaster
Posted: Jul 03, 2024 - 12:24 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4686

Wow those are some big Brookies. Also you are the most Sparky looking person I have ever seen. I knew a sparky once, nice guy.

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Jul 03, 2024 - 08:57 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Icemanjay @ May 28, 2024 - 11:28 am)
Just got a chance to check out both videos looks like a great time! I think it’s great that you’re always venturing in to those lakes. We’ll be doing the same in July on a remote bass lake camping for a few days. Even if the fishing ends up being a bust the adventure makes it all worth while.

Have you headed out on your camping adventure yet?

sparky302
Posted: Jul 03, 2024 - 08:58 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (rivermaster @ Jul 03, 2024 - 12:24 pm)
Wow those are some big Brookies. Also you are the most Sparky looking person I have ever seen. I knew a sparky once, nice guy.

Thanks do you fish for brookies also ???

rivermaster
Posted: Jul 08, 2024 - 12:15 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4686

I have done some brookie fishing in the past but never caught anything big, was always fun tho and I plan to in the future. Currently out of the country and haven't went fishing in 2 years but still view the forum lol. Looks like there is something called Lenok or Manchurian trout here.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Jul 08, 2024 - 07:58 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (sparky302 @ Jun 06, 2024 - 06:32 am)
QUOTE (Knuguy @ Jun 05, 2024 - 09:26 pm)

Thx

thx

Knuguy this is from MNRF Sudbury

Wayne is now retired i use to chat with him lots but this well give you an answer to to question
believe there are 4 strains currently in the provincial hatchery system: the Hills Lake domestic strain (a very old domesticated strain), the Lake Nipigon wild strain, a hybrid of the two (Lake Nipigon X Hills Lake), and most recently a Dixon Lake wild strain from Algonquin Park believed to be more tolerant of warmer water. The Dixon Lake strain is not widely available for stocking.

In Sudbury we stock mainly the Lake Nipigon X Hills Lake hybrid. They tend to grow faster and produce a better put-grow-take fishery. And, yes I have seen them exceed one pound in their first year (2 years of age as they are stocked at one year old), achieve 3 pounds in 2 years, 5 in 3 years. They rarely live beyond age 5 or 4 years after stocking. If we are trying to establish a self-sustaining population we occasionally use the Lake Nipigon wild strain although the hybrid strain will also establish if conditions are suitable.

Any other question feel free to ask.

Regards,

Wayne

Thx for that. So it seems that in some cases MNRF have no expectation of establishing a self sustaining trout pop. It somehow seems a bit more 'sporting' if they at least have a chance to grow. I guess the ponds that I know about are stocked w/o a chance to grow for entertainment of those living in fairly close proximity.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!