» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sandy Cove Creek
ronzigator
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 10:35 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11378

Hello,

For those of you unfamiliar, Sandy Cove Creek is a tributary that hosts hundreds of thousands of minnows each spring and provides spawning habitat for Brook trout. In fact, Sandy Cove Creek is one of the very few Lake Simcoe tributaries that runs to the lake that hasn't been disturbed.

As someone who has lived just off of Lockhart road just a few minutes from Lake Simcoe for the past decade and has enjoyed the wonders, we recently became aware of a proposal to drop 314 housing units directly beside Sandy Cove Creek, rather than keeping it zoned as 'retirement'.

This plan calls for extensive dewatering of the area, and a clear-cut of the timber on the lands, even though the land is populated by all types of birds, reptiles and mammals, and this is on top of all of the clearcutting that took place south of Lockhart for the new development there.

As there are no local amenities, this plan will also introduce hundreds of vehicles onto Lockhart road, which has no buffer between itself and the lake. Vehicles will be dropping tons of sand and salt on the road, which will flow straight into the lake. Other roads that terminate at the lake have some sort of buffer, be it a crossroad, a beach, greenspace, but Lockhart has no such filter, just two ditches that go straight to the lake.

Two weeks ago I stood in front of Innisfil town council and pleaded for them to deny this development amendment, as it destroys one of the last untouched tributaries, and removes a major buffer between the existing housing and the lake. After the meeting, I was approached by our deputy mayor, who asked that I continue to raise concerns and dig up anything I can to help in the fight.

I've been reading over hundreds and hundreds of pages of documents, and last week was able to raise enough concern with town planning that they looped in town engineering and requested peer reviewed investigation into my concerns.

I'm writing this for a few reason. 1) to make everyone here aware of a situation that is potentially harmful to our hobby, 2) to ask that you sign the petition to stop this abomination of a land use proposal, and 3) to ask if anyone might have a contact with the MNR who would be interested in looking into this.

This development has a high probability of destroying the habitat used by the minnows, something that will ripple through the food chain.

The petition can be found here:
Save Sandy Cove Creek

To the moderators, I would ask that you allow this to stay up, but I understand if you feel the need to remove it.

To anyone who plans to reply "IT'S NO USE, YOU'LL NEVER CHANGE IT!", well that's my problem and my time, not yours, so no worries, all good.

I've attached a picture of one of the pools that hosts minnows in the spring. Take a look, can you believe the number of minnows?!?! It's incredible!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
bite me
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 12:40 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 256

Petition signed.

Thank you.

PMEmail Poster
2Mac
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 12:56 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 19148

Petition signed.
Thanks for taking the lead on this.
There needs to be a stop to all this development in fragile areas.
Please keep us posted on how this goes.

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 01:55 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

Keep up the great work.

Development is and will happen but it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be sustainable and it shouldn’t be done with ignorance to our environment.

PMEmail Poster
zvonk
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 04:12 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 122

Good on you to take on this cause. Petition sighned. However it seems that asphalt is more important than our environment these days

PMEmail Poster
Species8472
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 05:10 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 20215

Good on you. Signed

PMEmail Poster
ronzigator
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 06:37 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11378

Thanks to everyone who has signed already. I will 100% keep you posted on any news. I will plan to be back in front of council by the end of March with more information to dissuade them. I'll let you know when that will be, in case anyone wants to show up in support.

Today I was able to track down the co-author of a report on Lake Simcoe brook trout tributaries, and she was able to give me the contact information for a local Fisheries Canada person who may have information and/or interest in this project. The report I found specifically said that any change to the environment could extirpate our native brook trout, so I'm hoping that will provide grounds for some pushback.

I'll continue knocking on doors, virtual and physical, to find anyone with professional knowledge to assist with our fight.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 07:38 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15807

It maybe worth spending some time to see if there is even one SARA-listed threatened species that uses or depends on that area. If you find something, that would get federal agencies and officials involved and that can increase EIA complications for developers as they would have to do much more to ensure the threatened species are not being impacted. Will it save the environment there? 50:50. Sometimes, it does. Other times, it's just a waste of time and you start thinking everyone is on the take. Good luck and keep up the good fight.

PMEmail Poster
Flukes
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 07:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15807

Signed as well BTW. Even though many of the areas around Simcoe are not "outsider" friendly anymore....but Simcoe still holds lots of memories for me and I still love that lake.

PMEmail Poster
workaholic
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 07:46 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 18765

Petition signed. keep up the great work.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 08:06 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

I SIGNED THE PETITION.

GO GETT'EM!

SDC

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 09:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Petition signed and shared to my Facebook which has over 3600 members, and thank you for your work. We all appreciate the efforts you are making on this issue.

Arnie

PMEmail PosterYahoo
sparky555
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 11:06 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 6489

Petition signed go get them !

PM
Mike33
Posted: Mar 04, 2024 - 11:48 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 19120

Signed, thanks for the information.

PMEmail Poster
Buckmaster
Posted: Mar 05, 2024 - 07:00 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3872

Signed

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!