DIY Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Smithy Sled Wheels, Adding wheels to your sled. Any ideas?
Duke12
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 04:00 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 13889

Hello All,

With all the dry weather we’ve had the past month I was thinking of adding wheels (somehow) to my smithy sled. Has anyone on the forum done this? I would love some design ideas.

It would be nice to be able to; park/ unpack the car and then make my way down to the lake again like when we had snow on the ground instead of having to unpack at the shoreline and leave the sled and gear unattended while I park.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

PMEmail Poster
Duke12
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 04:11 am

Parr Trout

I found this pic of one design on another forum, it’s pretty slick, but I’m assuming the builder must of had the brackets that hold the wheels on custom fabricated in order handle the weight when he has all of his gear on it.

I’m hoping to be able “MacGyver” something up with material I can find at the hardware store or princess auto etc.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Duke12
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 04:13 am

Parr Trout

Another pic with the “wheels up”

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 06:25 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

I added castors to the top sides of my cross members of my smitty. I just turn the smitty upside down (bottom of ski's up) when on the road, and once close to the ice, I turn it back around. No real engineering or custom work required.

PMEmail Poster
ronzigator
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 08:08 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11378

I built an ABS smitty sled and have plans to make a set of wheels for it. I have a couple of dead Power Wheels around the house, planning to take those tires and axels (they are large and light) and thread the axle through a couple of pieces of 2" ABS. The way may sled is built, the 1.5" ABS frame will slide into the 2" ABS wheel sockets and should give me what I need. I hope!

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 10:00 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4287

QUOTE (thanh @ Mar 08, 2018 - 06:25 am)
I added castors to the top sides of my cross members of my smitty. I just turn the smitty upside down (bottom of ski's up) when on the road, and once close to the ice, I turn it back around. No real engineering or custom work required.

Genius, thanks!

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 10:09 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (thanh @ Mar 08, 2018 - 06:25 am)

I'd love to see a picture, are they not in the way when you put your sled when you get to the ice? and what kind of casters are you using, I as worried the water, salt etc would kill them pretty quickly.

I was thinking of something like a door dolly or flat style roller skates that can go under one ski. Hardware costs are what keep preventing me from doing anything. Im only in $15 on the smitty, those big wheels are $10+ each! plus random hardware ends up $60+.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 11:20 am

Trophy Trout

@kingpohenix. Here is a pic of a vary similar smitty sled I have (not my actual smitty). I inserted the placement of my castors to give you an idea of how mine looks like. My one man fits in-between the castors.

two fixed and two swivel castors. wash them down once in a while and lube them up now and then.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 11:28 am

Trophy Trout

^Just to add, make sure your cross bars/braces are set wider than your tub. That way when the smitty is upside down, your tub/sled is sitting on cross bars and not the skis. it lowers your center point of gravity when pulling it on the road.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 12:44 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (thanh @ Mar 08, 2018 - 11:28 am)
^Just to add, make sure your cross bars/braces are set wider than your tub. That way when the smitty is upside down, your tub/sled is sitting on cross bars and not the skis. it lowers your center point of gravity when pulling it on the road.

LMAo love the pic, ok i see how that would work. My 2 man flip is too big for that.

Was thinking of a 2x4 with rollerblade wheels would probably work well, one under each ski and strap it on.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Mar 08, 2018 - 03:54 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (kingphoenix @ Mar 08, 2018 - 12:44 pm)
QUOTE (thanh @ Mar 08, 2018 - 11:28 am)
^Just to add, make sure your cross bars/braces are set wider than your tub.  That way when the smitty is upside down, your tub/sled is sitting on cross bars and not the skis.  it lowers your center point of gravity when pulling it on the road.

LMAo love the pic, ok i see how that would work. My 2 man flip is too big for that.

Was thinking of a 2x4 with rollerblade wheels would probably work well, one under each ski and strap it on.

if it is something you just want to strap on the bottom of the skis, then just buy and use snowmobile dollys. a bit more bulk/weight, but should work.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-pc...set/A-p8177040e

PMEmail Poster
Tesmel
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 03:43 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15503

This in mine just a temporary hookup until the weather warms up and I get the time to do a permanent design for the next ice season.

Just 4 swivel caster I had laying around that I drilled a 1/4" hole and stuck in.

The just fit snug in there and can be removed by hand.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Tesmel
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 03:43 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15503

Another picture.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
longfish
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 08:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10648

Nicely done....one of my summer projects without a doubt.

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Duke12
Posted: Mar 09, 2018 - 08:36 pm

Parr Trout

I picked up some casters today. Thanks for the tips.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3