Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> July 23rd Whitefish & Lake Trout, Hot weather coldwater species
Mike33
Posted: Jul 25, 2024 - 02:55 pm

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 19120

Another late post, got out last minute for the day on Tuesday after a friend asked if I could get the day off late Monday night. We left the city around 3:45am and got to the launch at the lake for 7am. The lake was glass with the slightest breeze rippling the surface:

Attached Image

We headed to a location on the lake that Nicholas (mykola) and my friend have fished in the past. A 30'-40' flats off an island that the whitefish roam, now in the midst of summer we were interested to see if they would still be there. The surface temperature of the lake read 23.5 degrees celsius.

About an hour into fishing the first spot, I had a mark appear behind a suspended school of smelt. I reeled up to the mark at 20' and as I passed it, I felt weight. An aggressive whitefish to start the day taken on a 1" white soft plastic minnow:

Attached Image

After slowly making our way further north along the flats, my friend landed a whitefish, this one just off bottom in 42':

Attached Image

Another a few minutes later:

Attached Image

We fished the flats until noon and hooked into a few other whitefish that ended up getting off half way up.

By 1pm things had slowed down significantly so we decided to scout some deep water in search of suspended lake trout. We tried a variety of mid-lake structure from 60'-100' with the odd uninterested mark showing up.

With an hour or so left to fish before we needed to leave, we decided to try a 40' shoal beside a steep drop off into a 125'+ basin. We were quickly back above suspended whitefish again and after missing a few, my friend hooked into what we at first thought was a foul-hooked whitefish...

15 minutes later, after 4 or 5 runs, he landed a beautiful lake trout, measured at 67cm and released. Caught on the same 1" white soft plastic minnow the whitefish had so eagerly been chasing around.

Attached Image

The last thing many smelt have seen:

Attached Image

We fished for another 30 minutes and my friend caught one more small lake trout for the cooler at which point we called it a day.

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: Jul 25, 2024 - 05:31 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9792

Awesome report and beautiful pictures!!! Do you happen to know what depth the thermocline was at? I am curious to know whether the whitefish were found below it!

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Jul 25, 2024 - 09:14 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

Great post and pictures. Some beautiful fish there.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Jul 25, 2024 - 10:38 pm

Adult Trout

QUOTE (InformativeAngling @ Jul 25, 2024 - 05:31 pm)
Awesome report and beautiful pictures!!! Do you happen to know what depth the thermocline was at? I am curious to know whether the whitefish were found below it!

From what I could make out on the graph, I would say the thermocline was between 30’-35’ range. Earlier in the day we were marking them higher in the column but as the day went on they were mostly just below it.

PMEmail Poster
InformativeAngling
Posted: Jul 25, 2024 - 11:40 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9792

QUOTE (Mike33 @ Jul 25, 2024 - 11:38 pm)
QUOTE (InformativeAngling @ Jul 25, 2024 - 05:31 pm)

From what I could make out on the graph, I would say the thermocline was between 30’-35’ range. Earlier in the day we were marking them higher in the column but as the day went on they were mostly just below it.

Thanks for the reply! And makes perfect sense!

PMEmail Poster
mslovak
Posted: Jul 26, 2024 - 09:37 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3573

Nice Fish!

PMEmail Poster
mykola
Posted: Jul 26, 2024 - 10:12 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 13075

Nice report, I really need to learn that image posting technique. Those whitefish aren’t too bad from that lake. I bet that trout was packed full of ripening eggs. Pretty sure in this lake they’re spawning early September due to the colder than average temps and the lake constantly flushing with fresh water. I live near a lake where they used to stock lakers but stopped because they reproduce now, and they spawn early September.

PMEmail Poster
Mike33
Posted: Jul 26, 2024 - 11:28 am

Adult Trout

QUOTE (mykola @ Jul 26, 2024 - 10:12 am)
Nice report, I really need to learn that image posting technique. Those whitefish aren’t too bad from that lake. I bet that trout was packed full of ripening eggs. Pretty sure in this lake they’re spawning early September due to the colder than average temps and the lake constantly flushing with fresh water. I live near a lake where they used to stock lakers but stopped because they reproduce now, and they spawn early September.

I’ll show you Nick, credit to Species8472 for showing me the formatting.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Jul 26, 2024 - 07:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

Beautiful fish

PMEmail PosterYahoo
crappeeeman
Posted: Jul 26, 2024 - 08:25 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 18589

Like the JAWS picture.

PMEmail Poster
Hunterman
Posted: Jul 27, 2024 - 07:11 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 14832

Nice laker!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!