Recipes Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Failed Smoked Ribs, Need help
FatRap
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 09:54 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Chevy @ Jan 08, 2019 - 07:33 pm)
I used pork side and back ribs and forgot to mention it was in a propane smoker.
Also SDC, I used your special pork rub also. AS I pointed out, the flavor was there.
I am leaning towards Dbfish's suggestion. They should of been cooked more.
I'm looking forward to mastering this style of cooking.
Thanks,
Kerry...

If you didn't last time try pulling the membrane off the back of the ribs next time as well.

PMEmail Poster
simcoesod
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 11:18 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16486

4 hours is good for ribs i feel,but i start in the oven for 3 hours and finish on the smoker because i like a more subtle smoke flavor,and braising in the oven guarantee's a great rib every time

did you have moisture while smoking?like a bowl of water in there?you really need some moisture for a good tender rib

This post has been edited by simcoesod on Jan 09, 2019 - 11:21 am

PMEmail Poster
simcoesod
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 11:22 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16486

QUOTE (FatRap @ Jan 09, 2019 - 10:54 am)
QUOTE (Chevy @ Jan 08, 2019 - 07:33 pm)
I used pork side and back ribs and forgot to mention it was in a propane smoker.
Also SDC, I used your special pork rub also. AS I pointed out, the flavor was there.
I'm looking forward to mastering  this style of cooking.
Thanks,
Kerry...

If you didn't last time try pulling the membrane off the back of the ribs next time as well.

very important step!

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 01:22 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Chevy @ Jan 08, 2019 - 05:33 pm)
I'm looking forward to mastering this style of cooking.
Thanks,
Kerry...

Hey Kerry

Look at my earlier long post and download the PDF at the bottom. That is the Bradley Smoker recipe.

Ralph

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 02:43 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

I will SD, thanks for your help. Also, I did take the membrane off. Sometimes is a bugger getting that stuff off.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 03:05 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Chevy @ Jan 09, 2019 - 04:43 pm)
I will SD, thanks for your help. Also, I did take the membrane off. Sometimes is a bugger getting that stuff off.

That it is, try using a paper towel to get a better grip on it.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Jan 09, 2019 - 03:09 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (FatRap @ Jan 09, 2019 - 03:05 pm)
QUOTE (Chevy @ Jan 09, 2019 - 04:43 pm)

That it is, try using a paper towel to get a better grip on it.

I will, thx Rap

PMEmail Poster
mydogbites
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 - 08:18 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 414

Chevy I have smoked alot of pork ribs, and pork in general, I find Mesquite is a very strong flavour and use it sparsley, I tend to use apple. Always take the membrane off side ribs, Back ribs its ok if you don't but I will remove it. The use of a paper towel works great to grip and rip, your cooking temp seems fine, smoking pork just a bit cooler works better for me. Use time lines as just that, I have found variations in wind, weather, temperature a bit of a challenge at times, but the only way to truly tell is to pull 2 ribs apart or bend a rack at a 90 if it breaks its good to eat otherwise return to smoker. The other mention should be always smoke rib bone down meat side up. The mop I use is 2parts cider vinegar to 1 part butter or olive oil. But remember "if your looking it not cooking" so don't mop or spray to often. Also I use waterdown apple juice in the humidity bowl. My smoker is propane as well.
Always try to obtain good quality meat. The number one thing to do is tent them in tinfoil when you remove them from the smoker, you will get moist succulent ribs otherwise they will be dry. Good Luck, when your ready to do a pork butt let me know Ive down a few pounds of them but that's an all nighter.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 - 01:13 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (mydogbites @ Jan 10, 2019 - 08:18 pm)
Chevy I have smoked alot of pork ribs, and pork in general, I find Mesquite is a very strong flavour and use it sparsley, I tend to use apple. Always take the membrane off side ribs, Back ribs its ok if you don't but I will remove it. The use of a paper towel works great to grip and rip, your cooking temp seems fine, smoking pork just a bit cooler works better for me. Use time lines as just that, I have found variations in wind, weather, temperature a bit of a challenge at times, but the only way to truly tell is to pull 2 ribs apart or bend a rack at a 90 if it breaks its good to eat otherwise return to smoker. The other mention should be always smoke rib bone down meat side up. The mop I use is 2parts cider vinegar to 1 part butter or olive oil. But remember "if your looking it not cooking" so don't mop or spray to often. Also I use waterdown apple juice in the humidity bowl. My smoker is propane as well.
Always try to obtain good quality meat. The number one thing to do is tent them in tinfoil when you remove them from the smoker, you will get moist succulent ribs otherwise they will be dry. Good Luck, when your ready to do a pork butt let me know Ive down a few pounds of them but that's an all nighter.

Thank you for the advice. I really do appreciate you and the other members on here taking the time to help.
I may take you up on your pork butt recipe.
Cheers,
Kerry.

PMEmail Poster
DownrigNjig
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 - 06:56 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16582

Hi Chevy, sad to hear about the ribs. I’ve used the 3-2-1 method for ribs for a couple years now and they’ve been bang on every time. I like my ribs just a bit less than fall off the bone but close to it. I use the Bradley smoker. There is one difference between what you did and how I do it so I’ll add that below.

3 hours smoke (apple or if I’m out than hickory). 225 degrees. I’ve now changed this to 2 hours as I saw no difference between 2-3.
2 hours wrapped in foil with some apple juice at bottom of the foil wrap (meat side up). 225 degrees. You mention just spraying, I actually have a bit of liquid sitting at the bottom of the foil packet and I think this steams them a bit which gives them fall off the bone character.
1 hour bbq. I put my sauce on and put on the grill to get a bit of a char. I actually do this for 30 minutes as I’ve lost patience and want to eat em!

Give foil wrap variation a shot and see if that changes things.

Good luck!

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 - 04:17 pm

World Record Trout

Thanks Downrig,

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 - 10:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

Hey Chevy

Follow the link below and there is a pictorial on how to do your ribs.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?t...182.0;topicseen

SDC

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Jan 14, 2019 - 01:02 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 16371

A little trick I do when pre-boiling ribs before smoking, BBQin or anything is to boil them with a couple cups apple cider vinegar added to the water or 1/2 water and apple cider vinegar. Adds a really nice flavor and makes up for most anything I find I lose from boiling them to shorten the cooking time! Also finishing them off on a bbq adds a nice char or caramelizes the sauce a little bit.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Jan 14, 2019 - 06:01 am

World Record Trout

I certainly came to the right place when I asked for help.
I appreciate everyone's input. Great bunch on here for sure.
Cheers

PMEmail Poster
Jesse
Posted: Jan 16, 2019 - 06:58 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 16608

You guys r making me hungry

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat